I think I screwed up.. (1 Viewer)

anonymousjmn

HSC
So first of all, screwed over my selective test. Go to a public school that isn't the best. I'm a competitive swimmer and spend most of my time outside of school swimming and tutoring. Its only come to me very recently that if I don't step up my game, I might end up working at McDonalds (or so my mum says).

My asian parents are pushing for me to become a doctor, but to be honest I'm more worried about getting a high ATAR first. For year 11 prelims, I scored around 80% for my electives. I'm not the smartest in the school, but I'm definitely not the dumbest either, I'm floating around rank 9-13 in my grade for each subject.

The subjects I take are Biology, Chemistry, Science Extension, Engineering, PDHPE and standard maths and english.

My english has always been substandard, but I'm slowly improving with the help of my english tutor. Because I'm an idiot, I dropped from extension maths to standard in year 11 because I couldn't manage my time and stress properly.

So what I'm trying to ask is : Am I doomed to get a low ATAR? is it possible to apply the same grindset I use for swimming to studying?

specificagent1

HSC
doomed? no because non of your marks are decided yet for year 12. Regardless of your subject combination you can still get a very good atar. Refrain from thinking about factors you cant control such as school rank because if you do well nothing will stop you from getting that top atar. What english are you taking btw?

If you get good marks in all your subjects then you will get a good atar. Simple as that

anonymousjmn

HSC
doomed? no because non of your marks are decided yet for year 12. Regardless of your subject combination you can still get a very good atar. Refrain from thinking about factors you cant control such as school rank because if you do well nothing will stop you from getting that top atar. What english are you taking btw?

If you get good marks in all your subjects then you will get a good atar. Simple as that
I take standard english

anonymousjmn

HSC
Do you want to be a doctor?
I'm pretty certain I want to pursue a career in science, but I think I want to be a doctor. To be honest I'm still trying to ask myself this but I've never been good about making decisions.

specificagent1

HSC
I'm pretty certain I want to pursue a career in science, but I think I want to be a doctor. To be honest I'm still trying to ask myself this but I've never been good about making decisions.
and that's ok, dont think that you need to know what you want to do straight away. it's a process

uniqueusername1

HSC
So first of all, screwed over my selective test. Go to a public school that isn't the best. I'm a competitive swimmer and spend most of my time outside of school swimming and tutoring. Its only come to me very recently that if I don't step up my game, I might end up working at McDonalds (or so my mum says).

My asian parents are pushing for me to become a doctor, but to be honest I'm more worried about getting a high ATAR first. For year 11 prelims, I scored around 80% for my electives. I'm not the smartest in the school, but I'm definitely not the dumbest either, I'm floating around rank 9-13 in my grade for each subject.

The subjects I take are Biology, Chemistry, Science Extension, Engineering, PDHPE and standard maths and english.

My english has always been substandard, but I'm slowly improving with the help of my english tutor. Because I'm an idiot, I dropped from extension maths to standard in year 11 because I couldn't manage my time and stress properly.

So what I'm trying to ask is : Am I doomed to get a low ATAR? is it possible to apply the same grindset I use for swimming to studying?
Bro chill you haven't even done the HSC how could you of already screwed up?

Also you won't end up in McDonalds unless your contempt with working there. Theres always TAFE, other university courses and pathways in life. As long as your passionate about something do it.

specificagent1

HSC
Also you won't end up in McDonalds unless your contempt with working there. Theres always TAFE, other university courses and pathways in life. As long as your passionate about something do it.
This is so true, there will always be a path to what you want to do.
I've been feeling pretty lost and this is really helpful so thanks alot :)
no problem at all. Have you tried researching different courses to see what they study and how well they suit you? you are still in year 11 so i dont expect you to have done any research about university yet

anonymousjmn

HSC
This is so true, there will always be a path to what you want to do.

no problem at all. Have you tried researching different courses to see what they study and how well they suit you? you are still in year 11 so i dont expect you to have done any research about university yet
I've done a bit of research. This UNSW handbook and most of the universities I've researched are saying I need to have ext. maths as a prerequisite so I don't know how I will overcome that since I can't move back up.

icycledough

HSC

I think the best way for you to go about your situation is to break it down into 2 parts: your performance in HSC (which ultimately counts for your ATAR, not your Year 11 performances) and your career decision.

It's good to hear you have an English tutor and that you are improving with it. I can definitely relate to that as my English was very poor in Year 11 but my final HSC result was a major improvement from that. It's also the only compulsory 2 minimum units and can affect your ATAR irrespective of your other subjects, if you don't perform well in it. Although swimming is a completely different domain to your academics, I don't see why you can't implement the same style. Now I'm not a swimming expert, but I know that there's different types (breaststroke, freestyle, backstroke, butterfly, etc) and that ultimately, you wouldn't be equally talented in all of them. However, what I'm sure you do is to spend more hours on your weaker swims ... the same thing should be done when your study. Rather than spend hours doing Maths if you're already very strong at it (I was guilty of this), spend that time on your weaker subjects, to bring them all up to a strong level.

With your career option, it's definitely something that doesn't have to be finalised now. Many people finish HSC and even then still aren't 100% on what they want to do in university. It does sound like you're interested in science and that medicine is an option for you. I would first do some reading on it as the med application is definitely unique compared to other degrees, as it has many different components, all at different times of the year. If you want, I'm happy to PM you if you have specific questions about trying to get into med, or even just anything else. It can be difficult if your parents want you to do it but you don't have the greatest passion for it, but as harsh as it may sound, that's something no else may be able to resolve.

specificagent1

HSC
I've done a bit of research. This UNSW handbook and most of the universities I've researched are saying I need to have ext. maths as a prerequisite so I don't know how I will overcome that since I can't move back up.
there's ext math prereq?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

Don't feel discouraged since you go to a public school, a lot of people have gotten 95+ ATARs at public schools and even without doing ext maths or the stereotypical 99.95 subjects. Its definitely not the same environment as selective schools since there's no real competition, perhaps you might have competition amongst some of your peers but its not the whole cohort.

I think its a bad idea to go into a career that your parents push you to, its not necessary you have to become a Doctor to get good pay, you've prolly seen the posts about tradies earning good after dropping out in year 10 and there's definitely other careers out there. You need to find what interests you the most. I've had some relatives who've did engineering degrees but were miserable through it, since they were pushed by their parents to do so and they had a passion for photography, history or something else that they had to suppress and I understand how hard it is to say no to stubborn parents; especially asian ones - but if they truly have your interests at heart, try showing them you know what to do and where to go and all you ask is their support, can't say it will work but if you show commitment, I doubt they can deny it.

quickoats

HSC
Also remember that you aren't an idiot if you don't/can't become a doctor.It's nice to aim for it if it's your passion, but don't be too disheartened if you don't manage to get in even if you try, since it's the most competitive degree out there, and most people who apply won't get in.
As long as you give it your best go, you have done enough for yourself.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It is good to aim high and that is the main thing your parents are trying to say. You should keep in mind sometimes parents say things to try scare you into working harder, it's not meant to be like a put you into a state of doom. You are thinking in a way that is at both ends of the extreme. Either you become a doctor or you work at Mcdonalds and either you get a very high ATAR or a low ATAR. There is an in between as well for the ATAR that is still a good mark and similarly for jobs those people doing other jobs are still very successful and might even make more than a doctor, without the stress involved in that career choice. Focus on what you can control which is how much you study and managing your time.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Don't feel discouraged since you go to a public school, a lot of people have gotten 95+ ATARs at public schools and even without doing ext maths or the stereotypical 99.95 subjects. Its definitely not the same environment as selective schools since there's no real competition, perhaps you might have competition amongst some of your peers but its not the whole cohort.
Oath. This may be bias. But, I prefer public schools. You can just grind in peace without the pressure and stress of selective + you get to meet cool/interesting people. At the end of the day your ATAR is what you put in.

Wizjaro

HSC
Oath. This may be bias. But, I prefer public schools. You can just grind in peace without the pressure and stress of selective + you get to meet cool/interesting people. At the end of the day your ATAR is what you put in.
As someone who goes to a high ranked selective school I agree. Honestly regret going to a selective school.

uniqueusername1

HSC
As someone who goes to a high ranked selective school I agree. Honestly regret going to a selective school.
Yea for me personally the increased competition is just more pressure not really motivation haha.
Thats why i'm thinking of going to MAQU instead of UNSW. But we'll see.

Wizjaro

HSC
Yea for me personally the increased competition is just more pressure not really motivation haha.
Thats why i'm thinking of going to MAQU instead of UNSW. But we'll see.
Wait that's one the same reasons I'm planning to go MAQU instead of UNSW. What are you gonna study next year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)