• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Important - Please Read (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
N/A
Lynn remarks that the above books sound intriguing, and inquires as to whether Justin has started reading yet? For she has a long month ahead of her and would like to resume the hobby commonly known as Reading For Pleasure.

Lynn resolves to crash Justin's house one night and raid his library.

In regards to remembering birthdays (all this P&P makes me talk funny!) Lynn remembers taking them down late last year when we were trying to figure out the age order :D

J

jhakka

Justin has been reading Death Gate for a while now. He was originally using it as a filler when he didn't have anything new to read, but now he remembers how good they are.

Justin loves reading for pleasure, and does it regularly. Especially when he should be studying. :)

HSC
N/A
Lynn remembers doing much of that during Year 11. However, due to disciplining herself (for she also tends to hide in a book when she is supposed to be studying - and like most others, refuses to put down a book until she has finished it) she has not read for pleasure since the HSC. She feels deprived. :(

Lynn does however, highly approve of good fantasy novels, but due to the work involved (not to mention the time) there are rarely enough to fulfill the general demand. :(

J

jhakka

Justin thinks there is nothing wrong with rereading if you want good fantasy. Or good anything, for that matter. At least you know you won't be disappointed.

HSC
N/A
Lynn agrees to an extent... there is nothing quite so good as sinking your teeth into the most wonderful novel the first time. The second time can also be quite as good... but the adrenaline rush of *really* wanting, and needing to know what is on the next page is something that really only tends to happen the first time.

But she does agree that re-reading a golden oldie is far better than reading something bad.

J

jhakka

Justin suggests reading a book six years later, then. He is doing that with Death Gate and loving it more than the first time. He had forgotten most of it, and didn't understand some of the rest.

Death Gate rocks. Read it.

HSC
N/A
Lynn will check details - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, right?

Lynn agrees that a fair length of time between reads of golden oldies is wonderful. *nod* A perfect time to hunt for other good authors! :D

J

jhakka

Lynn is correct (Weis and Hickman). She should be warned, though. It is a seven book series, but well worth the read. Very highly reccomended.

HSC
N/A
Lynn wonders why she should be warned. It is the *books* that should be warned, not her...

Lynn is a fast reader. ;) And she *loves* series...

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
ummm... this is irrelivant... but i have a simple question:

If you do extension 2 english do you still have to do advanced?

Since advanced english seems to be harder to achieve in as compared to extension.....

currently 1st in extension 1
and going really crap in advanced

lol

J

jhakka

Justin only warned because seven books is pretty long for a series. Usually they range between 3 and 5 books. In any case, they are reasonably short, so no worries. Not too much thinking involved, which is nice sometimes.

J

jhakka

YBK said:

Since advanced english seems to be harder to achieve in as compared to extension.....

lol
Yes, you have to do Advanced. It's a prerequisite of the Extension courses.

I also found Advanced harder. Four modules instead of one will do that.

HSC
N/A
YBK said:

lol
In all subjects, there is the "core" and extensions that branch off it. To be able to do any extension subject, one *must* do the core - in this case, Advanced English - however Advanced Maths for mathematics, and so on.

Lynn recalls intensely disliking much of the Advanced English course right up to the HSC itself, including the night before when she was almost crying on the phone to a friend in despair because she didn't really understand their transformations module ("and guess what, I still don't understand Hamlet!").

YBK

HSC
jhakka said:
Yes, you have to do Advanced. It's a prerequisite of the Extension courses.

I also found Advanced harder. Four modules instead of one will do that.
ahhh.. alright, thanks

i'm also assuming advanced teachers like a different writting style.... using super sexy language isn't working... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

J

jhakka

They want terminology and technical features. Basic essay-writing premise: Keep it simple. Only use big words if you know how to use them.

HSC
N/A
YBK said:
ahhh.. alright, thanks

i'm also assuming advanced teachers like a different writting style.... using super sexy language isn't working... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
"super sexy language"?

One assumes that is not particularly encouraged in any module of english... except perhaps in parts of EE2, depending on your major work...

Much of Advanced English and EE1 requires solid essay technique, much of which comes in GREAT handy in University.

HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
They want terminology and technical features. Basic essay-writing premise: Keep it simple. Only use big words if you know how to use them.
Lynn cannot stress the importance of ONLY using big words if you know what they mean. She has seen many deplorable essays with so many big words thrown in, they didn't even make sense... :S

It is more important to know what you're talking about, and demonstrate that, rather than to demonstrate that you know nothing other than how to make a fool of yourself on paper.

YBK

HSC
jhakka said:
So you are implying that I should not use thesaurus.com regularly?

I really like that site... :D

J

jhakka

Justin would like to take this opportunity for a bit of an aside.

"Oh woe be it to the Fate
What decided that I be the one to leave thee.
As the sun doth bid the night farewell,
It is I that must do so to this thread.
Be well, acquaintances mine,
And I shall return upon the morrow."

Justin is off, and wishes everyone a good night.

YBK

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Lynn cannot stress the importance of ONLY using big words if you know what they mean. She has seen many deplorable essays with so many big words thrown in, they didn't even make sense... :S

It is more important to know what you're talking about, and demonstrate that, rather than to demonstrate that you know nothing other than how to make a fool of yourself on paper.
hehe, no... i'm quite sure I don't make a fool of myself on paper... Seeing the 'big word' style writting is getting me really nice grades in extension... just not in advanced...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)