Important - Please Read (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
N/A
Lynn thinks the above passage is very eloquent and applaud's Justin's creativity. She also must bid IPR adieu. As she is not particularly good at poetry she will spare readers the experience, and blows kisses to any remaning members of the audience.

"Goodnight!"

HSC
N/A
YBK said:
okayz... good night jhakka

thanks guys
Feel free to pop in here anytime with any questions you have regarding english - whilst we do check most of the English forums, we can also always be contacted here, and are always happy to help if we are able to. :)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Feel free to pop in here anytime with any questions you have regarding english - whilst we do check most of the English forums, we can also always be contacted here, and are always happy to help if we are able to. :)
thanks :) btw, when i mentioned 'sexy writing', I was simply referring to a monologue I wrote from the point of view of the creature in Frankenstein.

Well, i ended up getting a really crappy mark... and apparently all the marker wanted was textual support, which i had in there: just not directly.

I thought monologues had to be very emotional; am I wrong?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
YBK said:
thanks :) btw, when i mentioned 'sexy writing', I was simply referring to a monologue I wrote from the point of view of the creature in Frankenstein.

Well, i ended up getting a really crappy mark... and apparently all the marker wanted was textual support, which i had in there: just not directly.

Emotional, but don't over do it. Simple things packaged into your sentences can often do the trick as well as anything else.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
kami said:
Emotional, but don't over do it. Simple things packaged into your sentences can often do the trick as well as anything else.
ahhh... interesting

I don't know though. To me it just doesn't make sense to be talking to yourself in a time of distress without pouring out your emotions... but then again, i'm probably wrong... Your point is valid and makes a lot of sense; but the fact that even if you're writing a creative task, "extensive" reference to the text is needed confuses the heck outta me.

HSC
N/A
YBK said:

Hmm.

Switching to first person to answer this one...

Something which is commonly brought up again and again regarding almost all HSC subjects (particularly english) is the importance of knowing what the markers want, and more importantly - giving it to them. There is an appropriate time and place for creativity (such as the creative writing sections within the AOS Eng, EE1 and EE2 modules) however for the bulk of english, they want *direct* and clear textual analysis in relation to course guidelines.

There's always a bit of argument whether one is or should be allowed total creative freedom within creative writing sections, however by and large (speaking from my own experience, I also did the subtle thing last year for EE1 Trials and got absolutely slammed. They loved my essay though...) they prefer being whacked over the head with a creative writing piece that may very well be a prescribed text. That's just my opinion however - and the mindset I always put myself in when I was thinking of what to write.

It's a bit of a bummer, but that's the way they like it. :(

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Lynn remembers doing much of that during Year 11. However, due to disciplining herself (for she also tends to hide in a book when she is supposed to be studying - and like most others, refuses to put down a book until she has finished it) she has not read for pleasure since the HSC. She feels deprived. :(

Lynn does however, highly approve of good fantasy novels, but due to the work involved (not to mention the time) there are rarely enough to fulfill the general demand. :(

oooH!!!!!!!!!!! good fantasy novels.... Lexi knows lots!!! has anyone read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind??? soooooooooooo good!!!!

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Lynn agrees to an extent... there is nothing quite so good as sinking your teeth into the most wonderful novel the first time. The second time can also be quite as good... but the adrenaline rush of *really* wanting, and needing to know what is on the next page is something that really only tends to happen the first time.

But she does agree that re-reading a golden oldie is far better than reading something bad.
Definitely.... ive read the SoT series like... um... four times (there are now 9 books)... they are sooo excellently good!!!

monique66

glitterfairy said:
...I also did the subtle thing last year for EE1 Trials and got absolutely slammed.
That's what Damnation is scared of...just finished her second adv trial :) now...only maths, eco, legal and ext to go...oh god...Someone hand Damnation a knife! :p

HSC
N/A
Haha!

Lynn remembers feeling like this last year... although her Trials were somewhat later in the year around the time major works were due, and Lynn didn't really get around to studying much for some of her trials. :p In fact, she had to pull a full all-nighter right before her English Advanced exam. :)

Remember that the Trials is merely practice for the real thing later down the track. If you are going to make mistakes - and most of us will - make them now! Trials gives you an opportunity to assess what is working well, and what you need to work on for the HSC itself :) Particularly in regards to essay technique - it will progress by leaps and bounds between now and the HSC! Keep on trucking!

Lynn thinks it is important to end on a light note, however. She recalls she and her friends making a pact to write Journeys creative pieces about the silliest topics they could think of... Lynn wrote about the Adventures of the Piece of Gak. ;) (everyone *does* remember Gak, yes?)

monique66

Damnation just realised that she is the only IPRer that does not use her first name...
Is the suspense killing anyone?

Hi. I'm Monique! Wow...*The crowd gasps* :D

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
hehe... how come you never used it before... Lexi just automatically used it... did you not want people to know... or...???

HSC
N/A
Lynn says that it is not compulsary for any IPR poster to use their first name, and indeed Lynn remembers having to cajoule Monkey_Butler for a fairly extended length of time before getting his name :p However, the use of actual first-names has sentimental value, particularly if any members wish to meet up outside of IPR (which almost all of the 04 and some of the 05's have done).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)