• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

In your opinion what is the most important subject? (2 Viewers)

huhwotsthis

HSC
Re: What is the most important subject?

Actually, I hate English so much, I can't wait to leave the classroom. It's so crap, I hated sciences, but I think I would prefer to do all 3 sciences rather than enter an English classroom again.:(

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

huhwotsthis said:
Shakespeare is a very important part of life, fools.
What would happen if we suddenly reverted back to the stone age and we didn't have any electricity? what would we substitute for TV? Watching shakespere playes obviously.

cs01001

HSC

English was made compulsory not because BOS wanted us to better 'articulate/express ourselves', but because many graduates's English level was not up to scratch.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

huhwotsthis said:
Actually, I hate English so much, I can't wait to leave the classroom. It's so crap, I hated sciences, but I think I would prefer to do all 3 sciences rather than enter an English classroom again.:(
I agree, I hate english so much, i would rather do biology than english.

huhwotsthis

HSC

foram said:
What would happen if we suddenly reverted back to the stone age and we didn't have any electricity? what would we substitute for TV? Watching shakespere playes obviously.

I would live without tv, but no internet:(

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

cs01001 said:
English was made compulsory not because BOS wanted us to better 'articulate/express ourselves', but because many graduates's English level was not up to scratch.
That doesn't explain why NSW has the hardest english HSC-equivalent test in all of australia.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

huhwotsthis said:
Shakespeare is a very important part of life, fools.
how is shakespeare important?
how many ppl talk like that nowadays?

undalay

HSC

and what have you done with your yr 11 chemistry / physics and math?
Invented the TV?

oh wait... nothing

edit: directed at foram

HSC

foram said:
Actually, i would feel more comfortable if I knew the leaders of Australia had an understanding of economics rather than shakespere.
I agree, understanding economics/business side of the world is important.
But I still feel an understanding of english is important as well.
I don't want the world to be full of people who can understand financial matters, yet sound like dead shits when expressing themselves.

huhwotsthis

HSC

I was joking. Shakespeare is the most irrelevant piece of garbage I have ever had to endure in an English classroom.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
I don't want the world to be full of people who can understand financial matters, yet sound like dead shits when expressing themselves.
sorry i didnt pick it up

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Yr10 SC English should be enough though. English should only be compulsary for people who can't pass SC english.

Now my HSC mark is going to be pulled down because I can't pick out as many techniques in Shakespere as somebody else, even though it's completely irrelevant to whatever I want to do in Uni.

cs01001

HSC

foram said:
That doesn't explain why NSW has the hardest english HSC-equivalent test in all of australia.
and how do you know NSW has the hardest equivalent English course?

Well, I am guessing NSW being one of the 'major' states with a relatively higher population has to maintain a higher standard of graduates (by setting higher standards) to remain competitive on the international labour market... Maybe, I am just guessing..

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Muz4PM said:
Having not read a post in this thread and only reading the title I can inform you that English is the most important subject. It teaches you to be articulate and express yourself competently and on occasion with flare. This is needed in I think every field, as you are required to communicate and reason your point of view to another person, whether you be a lawyer, and engineer or a carpenter. I think that the ability to articulate reasoned arguements is refined in English in the senior years where are they are taught in the junior years.

I think maths is important as well, you are taught all of the important things like money maths and such in junior years, but senior maths teaches you to be orderly in an approach to a situation, doing through a problem logically. step by step. However, I think English trumps it.
What do you mean 'inform'? You say 'English is the most important subject' as if it were a fact, not an opinion.

Back to the topic, I reckon that any subject can be important - it just depends on the individual. For example, I think that the science and social science subjects are important because I want to know how everything around me works. On the other hand, those who would rather express themselves would choose the more creative subjects. That's just how I see it. :p

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

undalay said:
and what have you done with your yr 11 chemistry / physics and math?
Invented the TV?

oh wait... nothing

edit: directed at foram
My point was that shakespere is only useful in an extremely unlikely situation.

michael1990

HSC

Aerath said:
1. Money isn't everything. I grew up around parents who were rarely ever around, and are/were obssessed with their jobs. They earned a shitload amount of money, however, that didn't necessarily create 'happiness'. Sure, I got all the games I ever wanted, all the Xbox360s, the PS1/2/3/P whatever (which, I never touched, by the way) - but there's is more to happiness and bliss than just the physical 'happiness'.
I totally disagree!

My parents worked a lot. But they always found time to be with the kids. I mean my dad was earning millions a year. My mum thousands.

But yet, they had always found time to spend with the kids. If that meant, we go out for a picnic on the beach, if we went out and bought a playstation< we WOULD play it together.

Your parents may have had different values. Money doesn't buy happiness, this is correct but it makes happiness more accessible. Money makes the world go around.

The most important subjects are the humanities with maths and english closely followed behind.

undalay

HSC

foram said:
My point was that shakespere is only useful in an extremely unlikely situation.
My point is usefulness is subjective.
What makes the TV more "useful"
then a shakespeare play?

because it can entertain?

HSC

Continuum said:
Back to the topic, I reckon that any subject can be important - it just depends on the individual. For example, I think that the science and social science subjects are important because I want to know how everything around me works. On the other hand, those who would rather express themselves would choose the more creative subjects. That's just how I see it. :p
Exactly, each subject is important to one area or another.
Like, chemistry is important to medicine.
Or legal studies to law.
Everyone has their own opinion of what subject is 'more important' but realistically, they all have their own importance in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)