• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

In your opinion what is the most important subject? (1 Viewer)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Re: What is the most important subject?

the most important subject is one which is going to be relevant for your career. if you want to be an engineer, why not engineering studies? get a feel of it first, it may actually help if you choose to go to uni... if you want to be a personal trainer then PDHPE is probably useful to have...

catzhernandez said:
Lyounama, Thanks for that very deep insightful lecture that you have taken the time to bestow upon me . I'm just trying to rack up my post count so that I can post in non-school. Do you know how many posts I will need?
its not the post counts that get you into NS, its the weeks you have been on bos. i think its two weeks then you have access to NS

lyounamu said:
I doubt usefulness of some English topics in our everyday lives. At one point in life, do you need to know about poems? At one point in life, do you need to know about Shakespeare? My argument is that large section of what we learn in English are truly irrelevant and should be abolished.

I do not doubt the usefulness of English in general but I truly question the RELEVANCE OF some topics in English and I think that's truly unfair for students who undertake either Adnvaced English, Extension 1 English and Extension 2 English where we basically need to pick up the damn Shakespeare texts and write essays about it. They don't have to do it in Standard English and ESL where most of materials seem to be quite relevant.

I mean, why do we need to go further than we are capable of? Majority of Advanced English people don't even know how to structure essays and how to write English in write grammatical order! I am not even forgetting those in Extension 1 & 2 English. If the BOS wants to develop critical thinking, they better start from the basis where we basically learn how to write better and use better vocabulary from the start! Many people therefore end up copying essays from others to succeed in their exams.

Even thouh English PROMOTES so called "critical thinking", English remains itself quite fact-based and majority of subjects promote that "critical thinking" as well. English is not the only subject that does that.
yeah i agree that the English subject isn't forfilling the outcome of critical thinking as BOS would like to think but since NSW uses an outcome based education system, its like that for all the subjects. more likely that not you are also copying essays from other subjects. English is more subjective and therefore you are more likely to critically think than in other subjects. if your teachers are any good they should correct grammar and suggest ways you can improve in your essays. if you are looking for relevance instead and see relevance in standard English why not choose standard english? the course is also more likily to teach you the basics that you may be looking after...

Last edited:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

some schools don't offer standard english.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

aMUSEd1977 said:
Wow, you're school is epic fail.

Hope they are marking discriminantly, and thrashing the Asians.
They sure are :D.

lolokay

HSC

Continuum said:
You say 'English is the most important subject' as if it were a fact, not an opinion.
isn't that what english is all about?

Aerath said:
1. Money isn't everything. I grew up around parents who were rarely ever around, and are/were obssessed with their jobs. They earned a shitload amount of money, however, that didn't necessarily create 'happiness'. Sure, I got all the games I ever wanted, all the Xbox360s, the PS1/2/3/P whatever (which, I never touched, by the way) - but there's is more to happiness and bliss than just the physical 'happiness'.
Higher paying job = don't have to work as much = more time for other stuff, eg spending time with your kids ( = more happiness). I don't really think that it's the money/job's fault if people start getting obsessed by it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

lolokay said:
isn't that what english is all about?
No. I completely agree with continuum. It ENTIRELY varies and depends according to individuals.

Let's get back to the topic. To people who think English is the most important because it always counts towards their UAI, your argument is wrong. That's because there are people out there who do 10 units where all subjects count towards their UAI, which means that English is not the most important subject in that context. There are also people out there who do 11 units & 12 units where they are forced to take up 1 extra unit since they attend Catholic school (they have to do SOR I or SOR II). Not only that, there are many people who do Extension 1 or 2 which DO NOT have to be counted if they are not in the top 10 units.

So, if you really think that English is the most important subject, come up with better argument that has got decent reason behind it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

lolokay said:
Higher paying job = don't have to work as much = more time for other stuff, eg spending time with your kids ( = more happiness). I don't really think that it's the money/job's fault if people start getting obsessed by it.
That is greatly generalised statement/stereotype. Some high-paying jobs comes with stress, over-work and less time whereas there are some high-paying jobs that cause less stress, work and more time.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

lyounamu said:
No. I completely agree with continuum. It ENTIRELY varies and depends according to individuals.

Let's get back to the topic. To people who think English is the most important because it always counts towards their UAI, your argument is wrong. That's because there are people out there who do 10 units where all subjects count towards their UAI, which means that English is not the most important subject in that context. There are also people out there who do 11 units & 12 units where they are forced to take up 1 extra unit since they attend Catholic school (they have to do SOR I or SOR II). Not only that, there are many people who do Extension 1 or 2 which DO NOT have to be counted if they are not in the top 10 units.

So, if you really think that English is the most important subject, come up with better argument that has got decent reason behind it.
did you read my argument? :)

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3381746&postcount=107

lolokay said:
i
most high paying managieral jobs = greater responsitility = less time to do stuff ,e.g. spending time with kids (= less happiniess?)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

lolokay said:
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Some of the world's richest people earn $50k a day. Do you think that any person could just work for a week, take away $350k, and stay at home/go on holidays for the other 51 weeks? It just doesn't happen.

Money buys the physical happiness such as games, diamonds, cars etc. The psychological and emotional happiness is something that money cannot buy.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
standard english scales badly. It is also not available at a number of school because its scales soo badly.

agua.fuego

HSC
For me it's English. Because I want to be a journalist. Also Textiles (more specifically, the fashion illustration side of it) because it's fun and I could put it in my journalism stuff, if I end up doing fashion journalism. Who knows? And Spanish, because it's pretty annoying not understanding the rest of your family.

michael1990

HSC

Aerath said:
Money buys the physical happiness such as games, diamonds, cars etc. The psychological and emotional happiness is something that money cannot buy.
Clearly your're wrong.

Money buys both happiness, its just your're not thinking both ways.

If i was to give a homeless person $50 000, wouldn't that make me feel happiness?

If i was to set up a trust fund for my children, wouldn't that make me happy?

Most people look at it from a materialistic point of view, but if your're wise enough you can see it from both.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

Aerath said:
games = psychological and emotional happiness for me. :D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

michael1990 said:
If i was to give a homeless person $50 000, wouldn't that make me feel happiness?
Would you? If you would, all the more power to you. All the 'better off' people I know wouldn't.

michael1990 said:
If i was to set up a trust fund for my children, wouldn't that make me happy?
I'm not exactly sure what a trust fund is/was, but wouldn't that just be for like buying children's 'necessities' (ie. toys etc)? (Not exactly sure).

Last edited:
HSC

Aerath said:
Would you? If you would, all the more power to you. All the 'better off' people I know wouldn't.

I'm not exactly sure what a trust fund was, but wouldn't that just be for like buying children's 'necessities' (ie. toys etc)? (Not exactly sure).
It's basically setting aside money for the future.
For example, setting up a fund for your child where you place set amounts in regularly and making it only accessible for the child they reach a certain age.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Fair enough - I possibly stand corrected then. :)
It's just in my personal experience - money doesn't buy happiness - my family seems to bicker amongst ourselves all the time. :\

lolokay

HSC

lyounamu said:
eh? I was saying english is about presenting your/an opinion as if it were fact

lyounamu said:
That is greatly generalised statement/stereotype. Some high-paying jobs comes with stress, over-work and less time whereas there are some high-paying jobs that cause less stress, work and more time.
well ok, replace 'Higher paying job' with 'More money' since the argument was over whether money brings happiness, not having a higher paying job.

michael1990

HSC

Aerath said:
My family gives a lot of money to charities. So does a lot of wealthy people.
You cannot just generalise because your family is different. I mean you stated that families you know, don't whereas most families i know, whether they are wealthy, rich or middle class give money to charities. It makes people feel happy that they can help someone that isn't as well of as themselves.

Aerath said:
I'm not exactly sure what a trust fund is/was, but wouldn't that just be for like buying children's 'necessities' (ie. toys etc)? (Not exactly sure).
Its a fund where money gets deposited into a interest building account, and gets given to the child usually when they reach the age of 18-21.

It starts them off, in their life. Whether they use it to buy a house, car or whatever.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
As I said - all the more power to you, then. :)

ccc123

HSC
Ok.

This thread has sort of turned from a 1. 'whats the most important subject thread' to 2 'can money buy happiness thread.'

and these are the correct answers to both questions:

1. The importance or relevance of certain subjects is entirely dependent on the individual, their interests and career aspirations. So invarably, answers to this question will vary.

2. Despite prevailing opinion, the notion that there is a direct correlation between money and happiness lacks empirical support. In fact, a 2007 universal research project on happiness carried out by the faculty of philosophy in Leicester and Cambridge suggested that the 'happiest' nations in the world were

1. Nigeria
2. Mexico
3. El Salvador
4. Venezuela
5. Puerto Rico

In that order. There have been countless other studies that exhibit similar results.

Conversely, wealthy nations were often further down the list with the U.S.A at 46.

Of course, you may well consider these projects a load of crap, and may still be convinced that money does indeed, buy the key to happiness.

But there is neverthless growing research to suggest otherwise. And while the validity and reliability of this research can be debated ad nauseum, one thing is clear and indisputable:

Happiness is essentially an intrinsic state. Thus, while external factors (such as money) can certainly provide ephemeral happiness, trait happiness (as opposed to situational happiness) is compelled by an inherent force.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)