iPad (1 Viewer)

debts

HSC
N/A
This thing was just meant to kill Kindle. Kindle will most definitely be killed, and I don't think any of you can argue with that.
one of the notable flaws of the iPad in regards to ebooks is the use of a backlit led screen, as opposed to an e-ink screen on a kindle and etc which won't tire your eyes out like the iPad will.

hence i don't think the iPad will cannibalise kindle sales for a while yet.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
one of the notable flaws of the iPad in regards to ebooks is the use of a backlit led screen, as opposed to an e-ink screen on a kindle and etc which won't tire your eyes out like the iPad will.

hence i don't think the iPad will cannibalise kindle sales for a while yet.
I think you've used the wrong type of verb here... For the iPad and Kindle are in totally different categories. The iTampon for starters is a massive iPod Touch with all the capabilities + a little extra here and there while the Kindle can only read books in a black and white screen with a chunky qwerty keyboard down the bottom.

I believe the iPad will devour the Kindle.

Geoffo11

HSC
I had my doubts about the first iPhone, now I have a 3Gs. It takes a version or two until it is fully refined. I am very happy with it.

You guys are responding to the iPad the same way people responded to an iPod touch or iPhone, and they are dominating.
The iPod came out 10 or so years ago and EVERYONE doubted its potential, and look where they are now. This iPad is pretty much one of the best of its kind. Look at those mini PCs released with windows on them, they were as thick as a textbook and had a poor need for a stylus. Nobody wants that.

The iPad has lots of potential - It's probably not designed to be some extreme business tool or anything like that - Think of commuters wanting to read the paper on the train to work or just leaving it on a coffee table to pick up again to read a book or a subscription to a magazine. It's a casual device.

What the iPod did to music will probably happen the same way with the iPad, but instead of music it will deal with print and text.

I say give it some time.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Apparently iPad is using a name already used by Fugistu.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
wait wait, so someone is actually going to buy this useless piece of mechanical tampon?

1ghz processor ftw?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently iPad is using a name already used by Fugistu.
I just saw and read up on that. The iPAD from Fujitsu is barely even used by anyone and looks like a piece of junk... I can't see Fujitsu winning the iPad case though, the apple lawyers would be far superior and they have always called (most of) their items i[insert name of object here] and I believe that Apple would have loved to patent the use of a lower case 'i' like that, but of course it's impossible.

iPad > iPAD anyway.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Everyone keeps saying the iPad will eat the Kindle. In the USA maybe, and that is a very big maybe, but elsewhere in the world it won't. You know why? Because the iBooks application is not available outside of the USA. IPad Books Are US-Only | Gadget Lab | Wired.com Seriously, the one reason one of my friends wanted it was for the ebooks when one of my other friends(who happens to be an Apple fanboi and actually thinks it is stupid) pointed out it wouldn't be available over here she didn't want one. It is not going to survive on a global scale without the ability to read ebooks.

Also if they had of made it sum what better than a netbook and actually a good product I wouldn't be so opposed(well yes I would, I hate Apple) to this piece of crap.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone keeps saying the iPad will eat the Kindle. In the USA maybe, and that is a very big maybe, but elsewhere in the world it won't. You know why? Because the iBooks application is not available outside of the USA. IPad Books Are US-Only | Gadget Lab | Wired.com Seriously, the one reason one of my friends wanted it was for the ebooks when one of my other friends(who happens to be an Apple fanboi and actually thinks it is stupid) pointed out it wouldn't be available over here she didn't want one. It is not going to survive on a global scale without the ability to read ebooks.

Also if they had of made it sum what better than a netbook and actually a good product I wouldn't be so opposed(well yes I would, I hate Apple) to this piece of crap.
Well there goes one of the excellent things that it had going for it. I would have loved to use it as a substitute for textbooks and other reading books. Even typing on it would have been okay for shorter essays...

It's even crappier now.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I much rather actually having a physical copy that way I can make notes down the side and mark pages and stuff that I'd like to keep and remember.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I much rather actually having a physical copy that way I can make notes down the side and mark pages and stuff that I'd like to keep and remember.
I reckon I'm the same, actually.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Highly unlikely, the main attraction of the kindle is the screen. iPad will most likely be the begining of the (next) downfall of Apple. I wouldnt be surprised if in a few years Mac computers will be used by a small group of enthusiasts and the only people buying iPods will be those enthusiasts. To everyone who says its just one product, thats not the point. Steve Jobs and Apple honestly thought the iPad would be the next big thing, but obviously very few people are interested. I have even heard people i would consider Mac-fans dissing the iPad. Thats a pretty big mistake from Apple who have been in the last few years quite good at predicting what the general public wants.

I just saw and read up on that. The iPAD from Fujitsu is barely even used by anyone and looks like a piece of junk... I can't see Fujitsu winning the iPad case though, the apple lawyers would be far superior and they have always called (most of) their items i[insert name of object here] and I believe that Apple would have loved to patent the use of a lower case 'i' like that, but of course it's impossible.

iPad > iPAD anyway.
Fujitsu are the current market leaders in tablets aswell, if the Fujitsu lawyers really wanted to they could probably try and claim that Apple is trying to mislead people that the iPad is somehow related to the Fujitsu tablets.

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC

iPad > iPAD anyway.

They are used in restuarants, you know how in maccas theres a huge line and the lonely worker walks around, takes orders and gives the lil paper?

Thats the iPAD.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
They are used in restuarants, you know how in maccas theres a huge line and the lonely worker walks around, takes orders and gives the lil paper?

Thats the iPAD.
Ouch, Apple could be hit hard with this. There is also a microchip technology using the name IPAD and there are bra inserts called iPads.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
They've done this before. Cisco held the copyright to the name iPhone. They settled for $50mil and only took them to court because they ceased discussions with them.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
It looks so shiny and awesome and prettyyy i want one
however i might wait until the 2nd gen comes around

wish it was an iPad. more like iNote or something idk

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
i dont know if anyone has pointed this out but pon facebook i saw a group " i pad, for the ladies who have their iperiod" I loled. hopefully im not the only one immature enough to enjoy this

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
anyone who woke up early and lined up for one of these are sad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)