iPad (1 Viewer)

debts

HSC
N/A
Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 Newspad finally arrives, nine years late

When he tired of official reports and memoranda and minutes, he would plug his foolscap-sized Newspad into the ship's information circuit and scan the latest reports from Earth. One by one he would conjure up the world's major electronic papers; he knew the codes of the more important ones by heart, and had no need to consult the list on the back of his pad. Switching to the display unit's short-term memory, he would hold the front page while he quickly searched the headlines and noted the items that interested him.

Each had its own two-digit reference; when he punched that, the postage-stamp-sized rectangle would expand until it neatly filled the screen and he could read it with comfort. When he had finished, he would flash back to the complete page and select a new subject for detailed examination.

Floyd sometimes wondered if the Newspad, and the fantastic technology behind it, was the last word in man's quest for perfect communications. Here he was, far out in space, speeding away from Earth at thousands of miles an hour, yet in a few milliseconds he could see the headlines of any newspaper he pleased. (That very word "newspaper," of course, was an anachronistic hangover into the age of electronics.) The text was updated automatically on every hour; even if one read only the English versions, one could spend an entire lifetime doing nothing but absorbing the ever-changing flow of information from the news satellites.

It was hard to imagine how the system could be improved or made more convenient. But sooner or later, Floyd guessed, it would pass away, to be replaced by something as unimaginable as the Newspad itself would have been to Caxton or Gutenberg.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I just saw and read up on that. The iPAD from Fujitsu is barely even used by anyone and looks like a piece of junk... I can't see Fujitsu winning the iPad case though, the apple lawyers would be far superior and they have always called (most of) their items i[insert name of object here] and I believe that Apple would have loved to patent the use of a lower case 'i' like that, but of course it's impossible.

iPad > iPAD anyway.
ahahah dude Fujitsu is a massive multinational IT and Communications company I'm fairly sure they can afford good patent lawyers.

appletoa

HSC
I wouldn't turn down an ipad if someone was going to buy it for me, but if I was after a mac tablet I would probably buy something like a modbook. I prefer a device with a standard base system which can run a proper OS, more variety of stuff to put on it, more likely to have people still programming for it in a few years, and you can generally upgrade the OS relatively easily. It's like my ipaq rx4540 vs my toshiba 490xcdt. The laptop, while having less processing power and memory, is still able to (or at least attempt to) run modern programs and operating systems, while the ipaq is stuck with the OS it came with (wm5) and programs for that specific OS. Same could be said for the Palms I've owned and the N95 I currently use.

DevotioN

HSC
its literally an ipod touch but enlarger
i would play around with it at a retail store but would not buy it coz its not worth it

Dash8

HSC
I'm using one right now....it's taken over my PC and my sister just got an iPad a week ago. I know they have so many limitations, but at the same time they are so good at everything.....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sold my iPad 3 16gb wifi a couple of days ago...

... and bought a nice iPad 3 64gb 3g :) :) :) :) :) woo for not running out of storage and having access to internet everywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)