Is anyone planning to do a PhD in Business? (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Doing a PhD requires a lot of motivation...if you have that, you won't mind the time spent (and opportunity cost incurred). However, 3-5 yrs of independent ORIGINAL research requires a lot of motivation and tenacity as well as brains...It is not a decision to be taken lightly.

Also, in finance those with PhDs are typically hired for their quant skills, not finance knowledge. As such, the PhDs usually come a range of fields, eg physics, engineering, maths, chemistry etc, and usually not from "commerce" as those PhD candidates cannot claim any particular strong set of skills compared to those from other fields.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
We for starters, i am 6 years old than a year 6.
You on the other hand are prob months to a year older than me.

Please i would love to know what the other threads i have posted impact on this PhD thread?

I thought you had a little bit of intellegence.
You missed the fucking point genius.

I was clearly saying that a year 6 student is roughly 6 years away from actually doing those course 'goals' hes decided. In the same way you planning a phd/mba in year 12, are at the very minimum 6 years probably a lot more even away.

Fuck you are dumb.

boris

Banned
HSC
i think before you even consider doing a PhD you should probably finish your first degree ...

notaaron

HSC
boris said:
i think before you even consider doing a PhD you should probably finish your first degree ...
i agree, as the OP,i have learnt alot from the people who have replied with some sought of actual opinion worth hearing.

When i posted this, all i really knew was that it was the highest academic point you could achieve, but i know more, i was merely aspiring to reach the top of my choosen field.

But thanks for all the input, everyone.

boris

Banned
HSC
basically you need either honors 1 or honors2 to get straight into a PhD, otherwise you just do your degree and do a masters and if u want a PhD that bad, depending on how well you do in first year masters you can usually transfer

RIZAL

HSC
Most business related PhD students are doing their doctorate to get into teaching.

I study alongside 5 PhD students in Finance and all of them are trying to get into teaching positions in the US (except one guy that wants to jump straight into a hedge fund).

In finance, they are NOT favoured when it comes to the job market - they are viewed as over qualified with no experience. As Seraphim said, most PhD's who work in finance have gotten their doctorate in a diverse range of other non business related fields.

notaaron

HSC
RIZAL said:
Most business related PhD students are doing their doctorate to get into teaching.

I study alongside 5 PhD students in Finance and all of them are trying to get into teaching positions in the US (except one guy that wants to jump straight into a hedge fund).

In finance, they are NOT favoured when it comes to the job market - they are viewed as over qualified with no experience. As Seraphim said, most PhD's who work in finance have gotten their doctorate in a diverse range of other non business related fields.
Thats interesting, thanks.

I would love to be a college professor, at some stage of my life, although I acknowledge how much work is needed to do that.

I assume your not a HSC 2010 like your thing says?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Would a part-time Masters by Research in Commerce complement a derivatives trading role? eg empirical study of interest rate models.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
michael1990 said:
Your're totally wrong. Well not totally.

But Aunty is correct, she would know more than anyone in this forum. She was a Senior Executive in Retail, Human Resources and RTA lol

Next point when you said someone that has either a MBA or PhD wouldn't definitely get a job, your're totally wrong on this issue. Of course they would get a job, with someone of that calibre a company would snatch them up.
No, an MBA or a PhD doesn't guarantee the person a job. I would say that an MBA increases your chances quite a bit, but a PhD doesn't increase it as much. MBAs are practical: you learn how to apply various facets of business, such as accounting, finance, economics and marketing. With a PhD you simply focus on writing a thesis on the subject that interests you most. A business PhD is quite redundant, unless you're striving to get into academia, imo.

There are loads of people with MBAs who don't get hired. I was responsible for doing recruitment for one of my old companies and received about 50 applicants for a single position. 30 of those were undergrad and 20 were completing MBAs. I interviewed 5: 4 undergrad, and 1 MBA student. Although I hired the MBA guy, this was only because he had excellent work experience. The other MBA students lacked work experience, or had poor communications skills based on their cover letters and resumes.

If you do undergrad than an MBA, you do become overqualified. If I hired someone for an entry level position with an MBA, I'd be worried they'd quickly defect to another company. If I hired them for a higher-level position they wouldn't have the basic skill set necessary.

michael1990 said:
Okay. As i said above somewhere.
If your're working at a company and you get paid to do a PhD by that company, you would have experience which would defintely get you a higher position with another company.
The bigger the company the more likely you will get a position if you do have a PhD.
Yes, an engineering or science-based company may well fund your PhD. However, what is the benefit of doing a PhD on the subject of business?

HSC
stazi said:
No, an MBA or a PhD doesn't guarantee the person a job. I would say that an MBA increases your chances quite a bit, but a PhD doesn't increase it as much. MBAs are practical: you learn how to apply various facets of business, such as accounting, finance, economics and marketing. With a PhD you simply focus on writing a thesis on the subject that interests you most. A business PhD is quite redundant, unless you're striving to get into academia, imo.

There are loads of people with MBAs who don't get hired. I was responsible for doing recruitment for one of my old companies and received about 50 applicants for a single position. 30 of those were undergrad and 20 were completing MBAs. I interviewed 5: 4 undergrad, and 1 MBA student. Although I hired the MBA guy, this was only because he had excellent work experience. The other MBA students lacked work experience, or had poor communications skills based on their cover letters and resumes.

If you do undergrad than an MBA, you do become overqualified. If I hired someone for an entry level position with an MBA, I'd be worried they'd quickly defect to another company. If I hired them for a higher-level position they wouldn't have the basic skill set necessary.

Yes, an engineering or science-based company may well fund your PhD. However, what is the benefit of doing a PhD on the subject of business?
The better MBA's in Sydney and Aust require a minimum amt of work experience so they'd have no problem getting a job ^ regarding the part where you mentioned they wouldn't have the basic skill set.

I wasn't actually aware that many places where you could obtain a MBA catered for people without any experience. I know of a few institutions that do but they are primarily targeted towards Int Students who don't know which uni's are better for commencing the MBA until they arrive in Australia by which point in time it's too late.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
A lot of people lie about their experience when applying for MBAs. Other programmes will admit almost anyone with the cash (e.g. international students at USYD).

HSC
stazi said:
A lot of people lie about their experience when applying for MBAs. Other programmes will admit almost anyone with the cash (e.g. international students at USYD).
Yeah that's true but I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy to know who's lied once they get in-it's pretty interactive from a few people I know who are doing it atm and who have already completed it. I would have thought places like AGSM would have stringent checkups to stop people lying and ruin the overall rep of the MBA although I admit I don't know enough about the MBA application process to know if the checkups are effective.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well aparently not judging from the CVs i received :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh and it should probably be noted that if you have an asian or indian surname you'll likely decrease your chances of getting a job if you have an MBA. Many people may stereotype you as another international student-Asian with very little social skills trying to get a job with your company. CVs are screened very quickly due to the high number of applicants for each position, so judgments like that could almost be subconscious

RIZAL

HSC
stazi said:
oh and it should probably be noted that if you have an asian or indian surname you'll likely decrease your chances of getting a job if you have an MBA.
you have no clue.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
....??? riiiight....

ok. you are an HR manager screening hundreds of applications. You pick up a resume for an entry level position. John Zhang, MBA. Look at the work experience: looks kind of small. Conclusion: international student who came here to do an MBA, won't have necessary communications skills. Discard the application.

RIZAL

HSC
stazi said:
....??? riiiight....

ok. you are an HR manager screening hundreds of applications. You pick up a resume for an entry level position. John Zhang, MBA. Look at the work experience: looks kind of small. Conclusion: international student who came here to do an MBA, won't have necessary communications skills. Discard the application.
I wouldn't know what it was like to think like an HR manager.

I'm too busy being a hardcore Ibanker and deciding whether this company that makes TP and household cleaning products (lol) would be a good lbo opportunity.

michael1990

HSC
stazi said:
....??? riiiight....

Not necessarly.

My aunt did HR and is still doing it. on a consultation basis.

It goes more on experience and the 1-1 interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)