Is anyone planning to do a PhD in Business? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
michael1990 said:
Not necessarly.

My aunt did HR and is still doing it. on a consultation basis.

It goes more on experience and the 1-1 interview.
your auntie works for the RTA. She doesn't work for some private sector firm such as MS, GE or P&G which people actually want to work for.

RIZAL

HSC
stazi said:
your auntie works for the RTA. She doesn't work for some private sector firm such as MS, GE or P&G which people actually want to work for.
I'm sorry but did you just group MORGAN STANLEY with GE and whatever P&G is?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol Microsoft, General Electric and Procter & Gamble: some of the hardest companies to get into.

michael1990

HSC
stazi said:
No she did consultation work for them. (hired new staff and training) can't remember the position though. ( i know it was high paying)

She also worked for Grace Bros and Myer.
M5, owned her own business.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol! grace bros and myer. either way, the experiences of your aunty are different to the experiences of the majority of HR managers and recruitment teams out there.

RIZAL

HSC
stazi said:
lol Microsoft, General Electric and Procter & Gamble: some of the hardest companies to get into.
KKR is hard to get into.
DE Shaw is hard to get into.
Hell, even Mckinsey is hard to get into.

The companies you mentioned are not hard to get into.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ok, let's take the example of Procter & Gamble.

Last year, for the graduate intake of brand managers, only two people were accepted from around 3,000. I think that's hard to get into.

Either way, I wasn't saying that those companies are the hardest to get into in the entire world. I was saying that more people wanted to work for them than a public sector job for the government.

michael1990

HSC
stazi said:
lol! grace bros and myer. either way, the experiences of your aunty are different to the experiences of the majority of HR managers and recruitment teams out there.
Agreed.

But i also know Cindy Bowman and Cherrie Marantz.

Both having Recruitment and Training businesses.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
cool, well done. i am mates with logic, common sense, and intellect. so, i win.

RIZAL

HSC
stazi said:
ok, let's take the example of Procter & Gamble.

Last year, for the graduate intake of brand managers, only two people were accepted from around 3,000. I think that's hard to get into.

Either way, I wasn't saying that those companies are the hardest to get into in the entire world. I was saying that more people wanted to work for them than a public sector job for the government.
5000 people applied for Big Brother 08 as well. The truly good candidates don't bother applying to P&G. harsh reality.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Big Brother is hard to get into. So is P&G. You can't compare apples to oranges though. You can, however, compare jobs to jobs.

Considering P&G is considered one of the best employers to work for globally, and the third-most prestigious to work for globally in the consumer goods industry, I don't see why truly good candidates don't bother applying for P&G.

I'm also a truly good candidate and I applied... Strike one for you.

Seriously, people in other countries dream of working for P&G. You didn't even know who they were, as they weren't in the field of your work. Similarly, i'm sure I don't know who your company is, but in saying that your company won't have good candidates applying for it, or that it's not hard to get into, would be a little wrong, don't you think?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
RIZAL said:
5000 people applied for Big Brother 08 as well. The truly good candidates don't bother applying to P&G. harsh reality.
lol.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I got post it notes from P&G during O Week ^__^
thats probably why i remember the company name but other than that ive never heard of it
Yeah, P&G don't really advertise themselves as P&G in Australia, whereas in the US and Asia everyone's heard of them. It was awesome being in Singapore: people were like "OMG! Holy crap! P&G! Let me inseminate you anally!"

P&G's brands include:
  • Herbal Essences
  • Pantene
  • Gillette
  • Duracell
  • Wella
  • Huggies
  • Head & Shoulders
  • Pringles
  • Hugo Boss
  • Covergirl
  • SK-II
  • Max Factor
  • Vick's Vapordrops

There's many, many more

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol. this means i've been trolled twice today. i failed. the thing is, the uni forums seem to be filled with people who are all like 'lawl! my cumpany is da only cumpany in da world to work for. others sux0r' or 'my uni = no. 1', so it's hard to differentiate between trolling and irl posting.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
p.s. guys, turns out michael's aunty who worked for Myer wasn't some head office HR honcho, but a lolworthy store manager.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
omg props to you stas for getting into P&G but u really gotta build a bridge and get over it and stop filling this forum with incessant bragging...

i hardly post but come to browse here every now and again and all is see are your posts about P&G's greatness/your greatness/how hard it is to get P&G...it's a freakin job.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I only talk about P&G when it relates to the topic. I got trolled in saying the person hasn't heard of MS or P&G, only GE out of my list. As I had practical experience with P&G, I talked about its exclusivity, which was directly an argument aimed at the poster, who trolled me successfully.

I don't really feel the need to brag about P&G, but when I do talk about, and it relates to the topic, it's either to demonstrate a point (e.g. someone asks how hard it is to get marketing jobs: i outline my experiences and my results), or if I feel that promoting P&G as a company would be good.

For example, it would be good for For3verpink to apply for P&G's HR internships, thus I told her which brands are in the P&G portfolio: my subtle way of advertising the company ;)

It's not dissimilar to promoting your internet service provider if you're happy with them on a forum, your favourite bands, or your university. I even promote companies from other sectors which I believe are better than others (e.g PWC in the Big 4) and I'm hardly bragging about being accepted by them, as I haven't.

Also, you only really go onto the general tertiary and tertiary commerce forums. I only really answer questions on marketing, where I give examples of experiences as a brand manager, or general grad opportunity experiences. You only see a couple of my posts out of 100s I make in a month, so are only subjected to my pro-P&G views.

In summary, after my long-winded rant, yes I'm proud of being selected for P&G, but I don't do it to brag. Although it's an awesome job, and my dream job, it's still a 'freaking job'. I will, however, brag about uni marks :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)