Is hsc English a real subject? (1 Viewer)

Shedow

HSC
The vast majority of what you learn in high school is utterly irrelevant to your future occupation. Life's more than a job.

+1 to knowledge for its own sake

I hated hsc english. But I think I would've done it anyway even if it wasn't compulsory. There's value in constructing arguments (even if it's to answer some moronic question) and textual analysis. You might not use it as a doctor, but if all you end up knowing when you're thirty is Gray's Anatomy and Doctoring for Dummies....

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
So far in year 12 though, I've found English pretty relevant to me, especially the AOS Belonging and Module C - representatons of texts. For belonging, you gain an understanding of yourself, especially in things that you do subconsciously and so what. In representation of texts, you see how people persuade others which could be really effective in speeches which you may have to deliver in uni or even in the workplace. This skill is imperative to succeeding because lets face it we have to do it at some point.
So true.

HSC
some english texts r sooo boring, we have to watch bladerunner, long, old boring film. ill have to watch it at least 3 times

HSC
some english texts r sooo boring, we have to watch bladerunner, long, old boring film. ill have to watch it at least 3 times
arghhh i havent watched that yet but i heard its boring!!
i tried reading frankenstein! THAT was boring!!
but i loved the simple gift :D

i do generally like english overall. like i dont mind writing an essay or whatever. yeahh duh its a real subject. some stuff is a bit pointless but i agree with it being compulsory. maybe it shouldnt HAVE to count but i think everyone should do it!!

dp624

HSC
arghhh i havent watched that yet but i heard its boring!!
i tried reading frankenstein! THAT was boring!!
but i loved the simple gift :D

i do generally like english overall. like i dont mind writing an essay or whatever. yeahh duh its a real subject. some stuff is a bit pointless but i agree with it being compulsory. maybe it shouldnt HAVE to count but i think everyone should do it!!
blade runner is a decent film though

dp624

HSC
disagree there:

English is a piece of shit coz theres no set right answer, if you can justify your response you get it right...far out...

two words: John Foulcher (piece of shit poet, we had to do him coz the head teacher was taught by him or some shit like that)

heres another question:

why is it that the board of studies can base 13 years worth of schoolwork on a few lousy exams. some peoples strong points arent exams, and the teachers hype the exams up too so its just more added pressure when these exams are the "be all and end all"

GRRRR @ society in general
wtf
you disagree with the assertion that blade runner is an ok film
and list irrelevant reasons to back up that it's a crap film

also there are a few other subjects which let you justify your answer

also - some people's strong points aren't exam - how else do you assess people across a large cohort?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I do however agree it shouldn't have to count for your HSC. I reckon it shoudl be compulsory, but it shouldn't have to count for your UAI.

dp624

HSC
I do however agree it shouldn't have to count for your HSC. I reckon it shoudl be compulsory, but it shouldn't have to count for your UAI.
then a lot of people would do 12 units and bludge english away - which would terriblol its scaling

pillar

HSC
Well if English were compulsory but didn't have to count for UAI, a lot more would do Standard I bet.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I suppose if the set texts were better, english could be a good subject...
also whats the point of studying shakespearean texts, its got nothing to do with our time, except probably some prevalent themes explored in them, but then again you could get that out of any modern book...

Also I reckon Paper 1 of HSC english should be cut out altogether, whats the point of being able to deconstruct images and articles, etc? as well as whats the point of writing a story- not many people go on becoming authors... I suppose the belonging essay is kinda relevant, they should replace Module B critical stuff with the belonging essay. then it would bean alright structure.

HSC
yeah i think creative writing is an absolute waste of time!
but analytical is good.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I suppose if the set texts were better, english could be a good subject...
also whats the point of studying shakespearean texts, its got nothing to do with our time, except probably some prevalent themes explored in them, but then again you could get that out of any modern book...

Also I reckon Paper 1 of HSC english should be cut out altogether, whats the point of being able to deconstruct images and articles, etc? as well as whats the point of writing a story- not many people go on becoming authors... I suppose the belonging essay is kinda relevant, they should replace Module B critical stuff with the belonging essay. then it would bean alright structure.
Besides the themes relevant today, I think they want us to have some appreciation for history and how the english language has been shaped. That's at least how I felt in yr 7-8 when I questioned why we would bother learning about shakespeare.

The creative writing section is primarily so that students don't get fixed to a constant essay format to their answers. Really, they don't want people to become so analytical that they forget what it means to be imaginative and creative. That section sort of creates a balance but then again, people just prepare answers anyways so it a'int too creative after all :p

Katherwin

HSC
I think it's impractical and stupid the way it's examined. They're testing how fast we can write an essay and how good our memories are for remembering 3 full essays in one go plus a story and another essay in another go. Surely a crazy rushed essay won't demonstate our full capacities.

But I love English and I'm good at it, so it can stay. ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)