Is it normal to be stressing about the HSC already? (1 Viewer)

smackattack

Banned
HSC
Oh true, i'm not really bothered about being 18 at the moment though, I guess it's different for you. No shit about partying not stopping, but you don't think it's better going to all those close friends you've made over the years big 18ths than to clubs?

munchiecrunchie

HSC
tambourine said:
What if I don't reach my goals?
What if I don't get into the univeristy/course that I want?
What if I do really bad?
What if I do burnout from studying too much?

There are so many what ifs!!!

Lol...but it's true.
We all worry about whether we'll make it thru the HSC, but stressing over it too much will only hinder your progress. You should be thinking more like this:

If I work hard and know my stuff, I can reach my goals.

There are many ways for me to enter the uni course I want, and I'll do whatever it takes to get into it (legitimate ways)

There is no reason for me to do badly - I've put in the hard yards. I can do well.

I've implemented a balanced study schedule - I'm coping with the workload.

jackattack

HSC
N/A
Eighteenths are fun, but I don't see how they could be considered so fantastically wild and off the fucking hook they'd make these years the best ones of your life. If eighteenths are the best parties I'll ever get to go to, well I'm kind of depressed.

I guess I'm saying, I hope to god the best is still yet to come, not just with partying but with everything, because if this is my peak.... jesus christ help me.

HalcyonSky

HSC
The only thing you have to worry about is understanding the content. Really, dont even think about how much ur studying compared to the rest of the state, just focus on what you personally know and if any extra work is required of you.

The HSC is extremely overrated in terms of how hard it is, the exams really are not that difficult.

hjp.

HSC
tambourine....
lots of people feel exactly the same way (including myself)
i'm pretty sure its perfectly normal!

smackattack

Banned
HSC
jackattack said:
Eighteenths are fun, but I don't see how they could be considered so fantastically wild and off the fucking hook they'd make these years the best ones of your life. If eighteenths are the best parties I'll ever get to go to, well I'm kind of depressed.

I guess I'm saying, I hope to god the best is still yet to come, not just with partying but with everything, because if this is my peak.... jesus christ help me.
well it's not just because it's an 18th, more because it's with all the people you've been friends with for years and years

but yeah i get you

jackattack

HSC
N/A
hahahahaha you forget how I wish to never see half the people I've been friends with for years and years ever again

shepwarp

HSC
gman03 said:
It is normal to get stressed out if you care about your future a bit (like others have pointed out)

But please, don't make "getting a high UAI" as a goal. Sure you can get higher UAI if you go to hardcore tution institution and get wonderful UAI, but what's good use you have in later life (esp in Uni) when you can't apply your knowledge apart from notes cramming.
Yeah... I agree with what you're saying, but the problem is that you need that high UAI to get into uni. Getting a good enough UAI is just another hoop you have to jump through... it is just something you have to do, regardless of how relevant it is later on... so I think going to hardcore tuition is ok if you are attempting to make your UAI as big as it can be :)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Is it truly over-rated? I mean...I hear people whinging about the amount of time they've been spending on their studies and then as you guys say, judging it as not as hard or difficult.

It's perfectly understandable to such things when you already HAD your goal achieved.

Well, to get a high UAI, obviously we have to sacrifice something and of course we are at times stressed a lot. Still when having st like 99 or above in your profiles, you don't have to worry about which courses will reject your applies or you can't get into any Uni. (even Medicine at UNSW can still offer you an interview with UAI of 97 or 98 is you have extremely high UMAT. Another way out!) So, you should aim high actually.

I feel most heavy-hearted when looking at the results of 2007 HSC students. Perhaps checking these marks out just makes any of us either more terrified or more jealous. 100 UAI, 99.95 UAI WOW. And reading their interviews just freaks me out. Yeah, Comparing you to other people is futile but noone can help doing so.

Can I ever survive??? =((

jackattack

HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
yeah, just listen in class and make sure theres no area in anything you have no idea whatsoever about. excel is good enough for high 80s, low 90s.
lol!

Season

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Is it truly over-rated? I mean...I hear people whinging about the amount of time they've been spending on their studies and then as you guys say, judging it as not as hard or difficult.

It's perfectly understandable to such things when you already HAD your goal achieved.

Well, to get a high UAI, obviously we have to sacrifice something and of course we are at times stressed a lot. Still when having st like 99 or above in your profiles, you don't have to worry about which courses will reject your applies or you can't get into any Uni. (even Medicine at UNSW can still offer you an interview with UAI of 97 or 98 is you have extremely high UMAT. Another way out!) So, you should aim high actually.

I feel most heavy-hearted when looking at the results of 2007 HSC students. Perhaps checking these marks out just makes any of us either more terrified or more jealous. 100 UAI, 99.95 UAI WOW. And reading their interviews just freaks me out. Yeah, Comparing you to other people is futile but noone can help doing so.

Can I ever survive??? =((
Something that took me a long time to realise is the HSC is overrated in terms of what it will do to your life. However what it is is one number that will be a reflection of two years of working, and everyone wants to look back and be happy with that number.

Will you care about that number in 15 years? Hell no, but you care about it now and will probably care about it for the next 2/3 years. So its worth making an effort because its real.

Those people who are posting on those UAI/HSC results with all those high marks are a small percentage. These people are ecstatic with their results and want to tell the world, people not so ecstatic are less likely to spend their summer on a forum posting their results.

Year 12 will be insane, it will be a very social year and be a very academic year. Everyone has a massive 18th and everyone gets drunk.

As for all those success stories, having known personally some of those success stories, you only ever hear the good and how wonderful they worked. They never report those times when they got a bad mark and had a cry on a friends shoulder, or when they got dumped or procrastinated and couldn't work no matter how hard they tried. Or felt lonely because they didn't go to another 18th because there's a big assessment task coming.

They never report those things, because those things would make those super freaky 100 students normal

couldn't have that, could we

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
S1M0 said:
qft.

Its when i DON'T listen in class that i actually achieve the best marks.
lol!

It was the implication that excel can be considered quality that amused me.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Season

Well, at least I do how much stressful this year is going to be or is already. Having said that these people are 'normal' students with superb talent, I bet they spend less time complaining about their results and their 'silly' mistakes but studying ahead and looking up. Yeah, can't tell how much I agree with you, just by looking at my experiences of having some ordinary assessment tasks.

Er... I had a 18th birthday already and well I didn't do anything special, just got a few messages from my friends and that was it. I wasn't bothered actually. It's just a number: 18. I do care when I cease being a teenager instead.

Have you actually put our head to HSC for the whole 12 years? Hell, no. Actually you just really worked you heart out in the last 2 years or less. I doubt you studied like hell in year 10 backwards.

In 15 years...most won't care but some will. I always attempt to withdraw some info about my teachers' UAI but they never leak a digit. People still tend to enjoy talking about themselves with pride of getting fabulous UAI, right? In a short fortune, everyone cares!

JesS1ca

HSC
to get a good UAI wats da best thig to be doing now during the holidays to get ahead? =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)