Is it true uni is more relaxing than HSC year? (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Neither is stressful, you just need to be super organised, put in the hours and she'll be right. You just do shit when it needs to be done, instruction and assistance are abundant, what could be stressful about that?

It's extremely stressful if you don't manage your time effectively. Uni is harder than school in that there is no external force compelling you to attend, study and complete work.

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
So much harder than the HSC.
You have to prepare yourself for significantly lower marks at uni (but also remind yoursrlf that a pass is all you need).
and its muchly self-directed learning, which can be hard to grasp for some.

badquinton304

HSC
It depends completely lazy hsc students tend to find uni hrder whereas people who really worked the fuck out in hsc tend to find uni or at least 1st year a breeze, it also depends on your prior knowlege and the course you are doing.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Stressful like two days before assessments are due but other than that no. Plus the uni (or at least the Arts faculty, dunno about the rest) seems to have a much more relaxed policy on late hand-ins than my school did so if I ever actually failed to produce something on time I know it wouldn't trigger an apocalypse.

O.O are you kidding me?

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Uni is much more stressful than the HSC for a given interval of contact time. The learning pace is much faster and the cohort in your units of study is much smarter. The standard is also set much higher. A pass in university is much harder to achieve than a pass in the HSC.

However, it is sometimes considered more relaxing for two main reasons:
- Uni has much less contact hours than school, not to mention only 26 weeks worth of lectures/tutorials + 4 weeks of exams versus 40 weeks of schooling per year (unfortunately, this becomes to long hard hours once you get a full-time job)
- There is the misconception that a pass is all that is needed rather than a high mark which leads to less academic commitment. A pass grade only would rarely ever suffice when you apply for a graduate job particularly if there are thousands of other people out there with the same degree as you

Last edited:

bio_nut

HSC
I only have 5 hours less a week than I had at school.

You majored in maths dude, you're not considering the labs :p

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, HSC was a breeze compared to Uni, Uni is literally 3 times my HSC workload. It's just less stressful because you don't worry about what course you're gonna get into.

brunx

HSC
Thankfully I am not the only one.
What stream are you doing?
civil / suveying.
lol i dont know how your finding the maths, but i do 1110 and have practically no clue how to do anything in tomorows quiz haha

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Tis a much more relaxing pace but because it's all up to you now, it's easy to fall behind.

And it's quite stressful when you're about to do an assignment/exam you're ill equiped to do.

Lydia_88

HSC
to be honest, i found science subjects esp upper years quite full on. imagine that on top of studying a language (i did 3 sciences and 1 language per sem in first year)...until the second half of last year where i decided its not worth it... so hence i dropped it science degree (was doing sci/arts before)..and hence i switched majors to safety..

but its up to you what you want to study...

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Uni is much more stressful than the HSC for a given interval of contact time. The learning pace is much faster and the cohort in your units of study is much smarter. The standard is also set much higher. A pass in university is much harder to achieve than a pass in the HSC.

However, it is sometimes considered more relaxing for two main reasons:
- Uni has much less contact hours than school, not to mention only 26 weeks worth of lectures/tutorials + 4 weeks of exams versus 40 weeks of schooling per year (unfortunately, this becomes to long hard hours once you get a full-time job)
- There is the misconception that a pass is all that is needed rather than a high mark which leads to less academic commitment. A pass grade only would rarely ever suffice when you apply for a graduate job particularly if there are thousands of other people out there with the same degree as you
networking and extracurriculars bro :cool:

grades dont' mean shit

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
civil / suveying.
lol i dont know how your finding the maths, but i do 1110 and have practically no clue how to do anything in tomorows quiz haha
you doing phys1205?

kids these days got it easy

when i did first year civ/surv back in the dark ages, we had to do phys1210, you should be thankful :cool:

having said that, PM me n i might be able to give u some tips for 1110

shuttle_bus5

HSC
civil / suveying.
Yeah im doing civil / commerce.
Maths is pretty tough. I am trying to do vectors now, literally have no idea.

bio_nut

HSC
to be honest, i found science subjects esp upper years quite full on. imagine that on top of studying a language (i did 3 sciences and 1 language per sem in first year)...until the second half of last year where i decided its not worth it... so hence i dropped it science degree (was doing sci/arts before)..and hence i switched majors to safety..

but its up to you what you want to study...
Yeah, I feel your pain, I was also doing Mandarin. Just do straight science now.

brunx

HSC
you doing phys1205?

kids these days got it easy

when i did first year civ/surv back in the dark ages, we had to do phys1210, you should be thankful :cool:

having said that, PM me n i might be able to give u some tips for 1110
lol ive heard quite a bit of scorn about the easyness of 1205, but i dont mind, im acing all the assessments so its all good lol.
and thanks, i might if i have any questions. luckily they take your best 3 in class quizzes out of 4 so im not really caring.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
lol ive heard quite a bit of scorn about the easyness of 1205, but i dont mind, im acing all the assessments so its all good lol.
and thanks, i might if i have any questions. luckily they take your best 3 in class quizzes out of 4 so im not really caring.
haha yeah, that's right

do they still have that maximum formula as well, for your final grade? where the quizzes only count if they benefit you?

so what high school maths did you do? dw, 1110 is all pretty simple once you get it, u shud be ok for the exam with a bit of work

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
After my first 2.5 months in uni, I definitely think it is more stressful than the HSC...
It is good because it's all initiative, but I find my workload is always larger than it ever was in the HSC. People tell me that's what I get for doing Architecture though haha.
It depends on what course you do, but based on my experience so far, I would say university is not as relaxed as high school.

P.S. The best part about uni is that all the high school retards aren't there and you make HEAPS of awesome, awesome friends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)