Is Public Schools gonna Kick Private Schools?? (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Is public schools gonna kick private schools' asses AGAIN in the 2003 HSC??

Probability: 99.95:D
(as we have for the past god knows how many years we've been kicking private schools' asses!)

tell me what you think.

Go PUBLIC SCHOOL

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
no go selective schools... who are just that, selective about the academic results of the students they take in.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
you mean selective public schools, toodz

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yes i do mr. smartarse, public schools include selective schools but not the other way around. so when i say selective schools, i'm referring to a specific group of public schools.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
oh methoughts u are one of those evil evil people who think selective schools are the 'darkside' of public education and ought to be abolished... selective forever!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
stop discriminating me. just because i'm NOT from selective, doesn't mean that i am not representing public school as well. I will make Public education proud *sob*

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
oh no, i don't think selective schools are evil... i'm just saying that the 'public' schools that do better than private schools are selective. and that's quite an unfair comparison isn't it?

pri

HSC
N/A
this is going to turn into a selective skool debate aint it?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
heh, you self-centred selective school kids... this is not one of those immature debates where people argue for or against the selective school system.

more like public/private :p :rolleyes:
..half the point and twice the immaturity

snow bum

Banned
Originally posted by pri
this is going to turn into a selective skool debate aint it?
It shouldn't. It's not an argument over what type of school is better, it's an argument of the fairness of a comparison some members are making.

We could compare the average UAI of public school students versus the average UAI of private school students. Now how objective would that be! (unfortunately we don't have access to that information).

Or we could compare non-selective public with non-selective private, eg: *insert public school here* V PLC or Abbotsleigh or whatever.

These comparisons are stupid. In both above comparisons, private schools would look better. The success of schools is in turning a 60 student into a 75 student or an 85 student into a 95 student. Selective public schools turn 98 students into 99 students. :rolleyes:

You can't say public is better than private by only looking at the top 5% of students. There are a whole other 95% of them that you haven't accounted for. :rolleyes:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i personally think the ethos behind each school is different, so one shouldn't categorise. after all, one must take into account that private schools have access to more and better resources and teachers, but public schools have a larger pool (and thus a lower average). further, the kids who go private have either scholarship or relatively rich parents, therefore most of them are well-educated upper-middle class. on the other hand, your (non-selective) public school kids are just non-selective average kids. you've got a huge range to consider, and this lowers the average. again, i'm generalising when i say all this, but it's impossible to compare as such: it's like comparing an orange to an apple - impossible.

snow bum

Banned
Sorry this is Twintip.

Exactly right Frigid, no one is going to disagree with you. But if you want to compare HSC results, compare all students. Private students pay much more to learn, you'd hope their fees achieved something for them otherwise why would they be doing it? There are people at my (private) school who will probably get asterisks, that's because any academic ability can attend. :) In addition to what you said, I also think a small motivating factor for a lot of private school students is the fees being payed for them to learn (that incentive to work doesn't exist in public schools). :)

The success of the schools, public, private and selective public is exactly what we should expect, and no group in particular deserves to be congratulated over another.

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i thought it was you!!

most people don't just go to a private school because they're made out of cash and deserves to be ripped off on such incredibly respectable current affair programs. the resources and facilities are often more attractive, and parents are willing to pay more for their childrens' education and work that bit harder.

private school students don't constitute the reverse of your 'average kids' as so habitually suggestested.

is a roflcopter
HSC
sorry survivor.....i think us public schools get totally crapped on in the hsc by private schools

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
Is public schools gonna kick private schools' asses AGAIN in the 2003 HSC??

Probability: 99.95:D
(as we have for the past god knows how many years we've been kicking private schools' asses!)

tell me what you think.

Go PUBLIC SCHOOL
PUBLIC school RULZ!!!!

is a roflcopter
HSC
we need more funding!
i want a swimming pool!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by snow bum

Or we could compare non-selective public with non-selective private, eg: *insert public school here* V PLC or Abbotsleigh or whatever.
ok then
De la salle Ashfield vs Burwood girls
If you want to argue that way

Originally posted by Newbie
sorry survivor.....i think us public schools get totally crapped on in the hsc by private schools
I'm not sure about this, i am refusing to abandon my passionate fight for Public education!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)