Is Public Schools gonna Kick Private Schools?? (1 Viewer)

stellar

Haha. I think public schools and private school can both go great. It's silly to think that if you go either one of them that'll you'll do better.

GO EVERYONE.

Throw away misconceptions about better schools. I'm off at a different tangent, but yeah. :D

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i was under the impression that there were public government, and private schools, and both got whipped by selective government in the hsc...

it's a stupid system - you get a whole generation of asian kids cramming their way thru the selective test, so you get a huge proportion who merely scam their way thru,
and then u get this generation slagging off the local government school system so u get them being paid their way thru private schools...
meh.. i'm not goin anywhere with this, and i can't complain unfortunately - i'm at the heart of it.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
In my opinion, if this was a debate regarding whether or not selective schools have more intelligent students than public schools, then my answer would be yes, of course they do.

However, more significantly (to me, anyway) is the debate on whether or not selective schools are better than public schools. I think this would result in one of those never-ending debates which never reach an agreement.

I, myself, am from a public school, and I'm very proud of it. If the cards were drawn differently and history showed me attending a selective school, then I'm sure I would have been extremely proud there also.

Based on what I've just said, it's probably no shock for me to say that I believe both schools are equal, and my argument rests merely on one fact: a student from a public school can attain a UAI of 100. You don't need to attend a selective school, or be dux of your year, or do 4-units of maths and english; you simply need motivation and consistency.. which are found in a person, not a school.

It's not the school that makes the people, it's the people that make the school.. and - even though they don't exist anymore - those are my two cents. All criticism welcome. :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think it is an overall generalisation. like, a person from a public school (GO PUBLIC!!) can beat people from selective schools and stuff, its just selective schools contain all intelligent people, wheras state have a wider range of abilities, and those at the bottom drag the whole school down.
but in saying that, i think it doesn't matter where you go, if you work hard you can achieve.
but yeah, i am against private schools receiving funding from the government, when public schools have so little.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
you get a whole generation of asian kids cramming their way thru the selective test, so you get a huge proportion who merely scam their way thru,
and then u get this generation slagging off the local government school system so u get them being paid their way thru private schools...
meh.. i'm not goin anywhere with this
your generalisation is correct to a sense that its exactly whats happening. My brother is going to tuition for like 3 hours a week, which is more than me and his only in.........YEAR 3! :p

But its not like his dumb and is trying to scam the oc test, he is smarter than me but if still forced to go just to keep up the 95% of kids in his class who also go

but the thing is, these cramming kids would still be getting the same uais even if they went to a public school. or even higher in some cases because they wouldnt have the security of a good school reputation

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by honky tonk
my argument rests merely on one fact: a student from a public school can attain a UAI of 100... you simply need motivation and consistency.. which are found in a person, not a school.
i fully agree, except do realise that the effort is harder in a (non-selective) public school coz simply the competition isn't there. but i agree, if one tries hard enough, one can get UAI100, even in Mt. Druitt High...

Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
it's a stupid system - you get a whole generation of asian kids cramming their way thru the selective test, so you get a huge proportion who merely scam their way thru,
that's one fucking big generalisation there... it's not ONLY asian kids that make selective... but anyway, one of the facts of life is that if there is a system, or a method of testing, there is almost always a circumvention of that system, or a counter-method. Think about it, no matter what, there will always be so-called 'scamming' in the OC, selective, HSC, UMAT etc.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
lol.. it was a generalisation, and it was made at 1:30am guyz..
meh besides.. aren't we all trying to scam hsc by using boredofstudies anyway?

snow bum

Banned
Originally posted by Survivor39
ok then
De la salle Ashfield vs Burwood girls
If you want to argue that way
Look at the big picture, not just one dumbarse private school (I don't even know what those two schools are like). Look at it on average.

Typical narrow-minded selective sentiment.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+, that's why God created UMAT. :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid

...except do realise that the effort is harder in a (non-selective) public school coz simply the competition isn't there. but i agree, if one tries hard enough, one can get UAI100, even in Mt. Druitt High...
[size]

how is it harder to achieve higher in non-slective public high school? i thought it would be easier because there is not much competition, therefore, a smart kid would be ranked 1st in most course he/she does. therefore, one can dedeuce that he/she would be achieving a higer UAI/HSC marks than those from selective public school.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
One more thing:
I have a dream, that one day, education would be free of charge. I have a dream, that one day, schools are equally treated, that selective schools would diminish with time. I have a dream.

In the meantime, Go Public education!! I really do believe that education should be free. it seems that the private school people don't agree with me there :(

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
PRIVATE SCHOOLS dont prove anything to me except that they have some no no ALOT of money,

go PUBLIC SCHOOL... I LUV FREE EDUCATION

snow bum

Banned
how is it harder to achieve higher in non-slective public high school? i thought it would be easier because there is not much competition, therefore, a smart kid would be ranked 1st in most course he/she does. therefore, one can dedeuce that he/she would be achieving a higer UAI/HSC marks than those from selective public school.
Well then that student's mark would be solely dependent on their performance in the HSC examinations.

Presumably if people's ranks are correct according to their abilities (which they generally are), then increased competition only serves to make them work harder to keep up with the pack. Discrepancies between rank and HSC performance make little difference, and it can be seen that increased competition does not 'demoralise' those who struggle to keep up.

Therefore increased performance = inderterminate effect on rank = higher overall HSC performance in comparison with student of same 'raw' ability with no competition. This is the result of more intense, dedicated learning throughout the year due to peer pressure (of the good sort).

And trust me, if private education was free we'd still take it. ;) We'd take it with two hands and wouldn't let go.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
fkn hell of course selective schools are gunna kick arse as a school......its a concentration of smart ppl whereas all other schools are a mix YOU DO THE MATHS sheesh Im so sick of hearing about this

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
I really do believe that education should be free. it seems that the private school people don't agree with me there :(
hmm, i think ppl send their kids to private schools not because they want to pay for it but because they are attracted to the resources and facilities.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
*some paraphrased quote*
"they can burn my house, they can take my property, they can even take my life, but they can never take what i have learnt."

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
*some paraphrased quote*
"they can burn my house, they can take my property, they can even take my life, but they can never take what i have learnt."
..And from an extremely corny FOX movie I watched recently:

"You can take my freedom, but you can't take my mind!"

Not related but your quote made me remember it. :p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by snow bum

And trust me, if private education was free we'd still take it. ;) We'd take it with two hands and wouldn't let go.
Take a WILD guess at where snow bum's from....
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: bloody Private school people:D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
hmm, i think ppl send their kids to private schools not because they want to pay for it but because they are attracted to the resources and facilities.
Are you saying Public education is NOT GOOD ENOUGH for those people?? Public education has got great resources and facilities. what are you talking about? it's got good enough resources and facilities to get people with UAIs of 100 and 99+!!!

Anyone agree with me here.

Last edited:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
public skool has a wider distribution, hence the average is lower than selective, but it does not mean that the top of public is less academic than selective, if anything, it is the other way aroiund in my skool...

the only reaosn why selective skool do better is due to the low range differnce, because everyone is at a smilar level, huge differential diferrnces is less likely to occur.

i have been to private, selective and public...the cream of the crop in public is no less meritable than private or selective's.

snow bum

Banned
Are you saying Public education is NOT GOOD ENOUGH for those people?? Public education has got great resources and facilities. what are do talking about? it's got good enough resources and facilities to get people with UAIs of 100 and 99+!!!

Anyone agree with me here.
Nope (that shouldn't surprise you :p).

1. You are taking her out of context. If more people could afford private education, they'd go. Saying that people are attracted to the facilities of private schools doesn't mean public schools have poor resources. That's like saying 'I like blondes' means I hate brunettes. ;)

2. You are under the assumption that the UAI is the only thing people go to school for 13 years for. That is a very narrow minded view, but then again you probably attend one of those schools dubbed 'UAI factories'. :)

BTW that quote of mine was meant to be a light-hearted reply at someone who suggested that people go to private schools because they are expensive educational centres. Where's the logic in that?! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)