Is the BOS only interested in your rank from assessments in school? (1 Viewer)

stereoheart

HSC
So it doesnt matter what mark you get, only the rank you got off that task??

In that case what if you came 8th in a task where 7 people got the highest mark and came 1st and you got the second highest mark ....they wouldnt care at all?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They're interested in your rank after all your assessments are done. Individual assignment ranks don't matter.

deswa1

HSC
No. They also look at the relative spacing between marks and then moderate those as well. As an example, if you came second by 1% in a cohort of 100 people, you would get a very similar assessment mark to the person who came first. By contrast, if you came second by 10%, you would get a significantly lower assessment mark (though this all depends on other peoples marks as well).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
They also take into account the relative gaps between ranks.

barbernator

HSC
If two people rank equal first, do they both receive the highest mark in the test for their assessment rank? or a split between the two highest marks?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If two people rank equal first, do they both receive the highest mark in the test for their assessment rank? or a split between the two highest marks?
They average the two marks they get in the HSC. If it's a really big difference, BOS decides what to do.

barbernator

HSC
They average the two marks they get in the HSC. If it's a really big difference, BOS decides what to do.
sorry, just for clarity, if there is equal first ranks, they average the two highest external marks, and they each receive that mark as their assessment mark?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
As I say in a lot of these scenarios - who cares?

If you really understood the BOS system, would it deter you from wanting to study as hard as you can to get every mark possible? No. So focus on the things you can control, such as studying, and your exam technique, and don't worry about things that you don't need to be concerned about because you can't control (scaling, aligning etc etc).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
They average the highest two.

E.g. In chemistry at my school two people cam equal first, but I was equal 4th and got 91 and the guy that came 7th got 87 so the assessment mark for the guys on equal first was 89.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
As I say in a lot of these scenarios - who cares?

If you really understood the BOS system, would it deter you from wanting to study as hard as you can to get every mark possible? No. So focus on the things you can control, such as studying, and your exam technique, and don't worry about things that you don't need to be concerned about because you can't control (scaling, aligning etc etc).
I'll keep that in mind!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Can I point out that the schools only send in the final assessment mark not the marks for each task?

One mark per student per subject is sent in and from those marks the BOS determines the ranks.

When they have the exam marks they then moderate the assessment marks based on the external marks keeping in mind the relative gaps between the ranks. Equals should always get the same assessment mark and where there are equal firsts (say three of them) the top three marks are averaged to give the top assessment mark.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Can I point out that the schools only send in the final assessment mark not the marks for each task?

One mark per student per subject is sent in and from those marks the BOS determines the ranks.

When they have the exam marks they then moderate the assessment marks based on the external marks keeping in mind the relative gaps between the ranks. Equals should always get the same assessment mark and where there are equal firsts (say three of them) the top three marks are averaged to give the top assessment mark.
Thank you for the information, cem!

D94

HSC
N/A
So it doesnt matter what mark you get, only the rank you got off that task??

In that case what if you came 8th in a task where 7 people got the highest mark and came 1st and you got the second highest mark ....they wouldnt care at all?
If you think this through logically, how would BOS determine your moderated assessment mark (ie. your final internal mark) if they only have your rank (ie. a number from 1 to n)?

So of course the actual raw marks you get matter as they (and the highest/lowest exam marks) determine how many moderated marks you get.

stereoheart

HSC
Ok so basically what I have understood so far, is that the school uses raw assesment marks to come up with our internal assessment "rank" which is then sent to the BOS???

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok so basically what I have understood so far, is that the school uses raw assesment marks to come up with our internal assessment "rank" which is then sent to the BOS???
Yes, the raw mark is sent to BOS.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not quite.

The School sends the raw assessment MARK to the BOS. The BOS uses those marks to determine ranks (although the school can do that as well).

Schools only send marks and nothing else to the BOS.

The school will have a list of names with student numbers against which teachers, HODs or some other staff member will input the final mark for the course into the form for the BOS - whole marks only - no fractions or decimals. One mark per subject per student and that is all.

If two students are say on 89.9 and 90.3 they may both go in as 90 or the school may decide to send one in on 91 and the other on 90 to separate them - but that is a school by school decision.

m.jakaran

HSC
The BOS just uses the marks from your internal assessment to produce z-scores for each student (standard deviations above or below average). From there, they give you the equivalent z-score from your cohort's marks in the external assessment as your internal mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)