Islam cartoon pulled from student newspaper website (1 Viewer)

kittystar

HSC
Islamists spit so many insults at Westerners, and demand that we respect them and let them into our country, yet as soon as we don't like one thing that they say or do and speak up about it, they call 'racism'.

We can't win.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I find it enormously hilarious how you welcome with loving arms hordes of the most violently homophobic and misogynistic people on the planet.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
doesn't matter its a STUDENT newspaper
Student papers should be run by students. If it was a student editor that pulled the article that's fine. But having academic administrative staff step in because it's offensive defeats the whole purpose of free speech, which universities should be at the forefront of protecting it.

in other muslim news, there's a huge theory going on how the arab spring was caused mostly by food prices than anything else. People do miss the things that fuck with people's livelihoods. There's a reason why Hamas is in power in palestine, they're the ones providing all the social services trying to better the lives of their people despite them being terrorists.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/425019/the-cause-of-riots-and-the-price-of-food/

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't say it did, I'm pointing out that's strange that one religion has a wildly disproportionate number of fanatics in spite of claims that it is not related to the inherent nature of the religion nor that of the people who follow it.
You have very poor reading comprehension.

What I believe in is not remotely similar to what is considered mainstream western ideals.

But nice to hear that you feel murderous over the idea people keeping a bunch of savages out of their countries.
No you have the poor reading skills as I never said that the university was solely to blame to the exclusion of all others. I said they bore THE MOST responsibility, but not all of it.

If some stupid interest group gets the government to introduce a law that I disagree with I believe the government, as the ultimate decision makers bear the most responsibility for stupid laws.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I find it enormously hilarious how you welcome with loving arms hordes of the most violently homophobic and misogynistic people on the planet.
don't you think gays shouldn't get married and have kids and think girls who fuck a lot are whores who should be ashamed of? if we had society your way, it'd be no different than living in syria. same shit different color.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
They can't be much worse than you and you're already here.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
I'll assume ANU works like USYD (correct me if I'm wrong) here, that would mean that the editors are elected by the students and the paper is funded by student amenities fee. So in fact the editors have been democratically chosen by the students to represent them. The vice chancellor should butt out, he hasn't been student elected and it isn't the universities money paying for the paper therefore the editors should have complete discretion as to what to publish.
Yes however it's being published through a student news paper that is subject to that university's code of conduct as outlined in the article above. I'm not defending the uni's decision to make them pull the thing because Muslim bashing is funny. What I'm saying is that is not a free speech issue because they can publish it elsewhere and it would be theoretically fine.

tldr: It sucks but it's not a free speech issue.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
don't you think gays shouldn't get married and have kids and think girls who fuck a lot are whores who should be ashamed of? if we had society your way, it'd be no different than living in syria. same shit different color.
They can't be much worse than you and you're already here.
Omg you guys are fucking morons.

1. If you think muslims are like me, and that I'm so awful, then why on earth would you want more muslims?

2. I think that promiscuity should be socially discouraged and am opposed to gay marriage.

Muslims however support promiscuous women being legally and often brutally punished, and support homosexuals being imprisoned and even executed.

If you can't tell the difference between these two sets of views, you're completely fucking brain-dead.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

1. If you think muslims are like me, and that I'm so awful, then why on earth would you want more muslims?

2. I think that promiscuity should be socially discouraged and am opposed to gay marriage.

Muslims however support promiscuous women being legally and often brutally punished, and support homosexuals being imprisoned and even executed.

If you can't tell the difference between these two sets of views, you're completely fucking brain-dead.
Yeah because muslims have so much political power in Australia they're going to change our way of life! But if we let more in theyre going to become enough of a minority and rule the country with their sharia courts! omg!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Yes but the difference between you and me is that despite what views people have I still believe every human is entitled to some basic dignity from his fellow man. More importantly I believe people should be judged as individuals not as a homogenous creed to be vilified and abused by small minded and petty individuals like yourself.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes however it's being published through a student news paper that is subject to that university's code of conduct as outlined in the article above. I'm not defending the uni's decision to make them pull the thing because Muslim bashing is funny. What I'm saying is that is not a free speech issue because they can publish it elsewhere and it would be theoretically fine.

tldr: It sucks but it's not a free speech issue.
Ok so then i guess you agree that the government can set down laws which say what newspapers are and aren't allowed to publish and that that isn't an infringement of free speech?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

the Qur'an only really talks about punishing Muslims who commit adultery, are promiscuous (btw not just women, promiscuous men) or who are homosexual. If you're not Muslim, then you are not punishable for doing these things.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Yeah because muslims have so much political power in Australia they're going to change our way of life! But if we let more in theyre going to become enough of a minority and rule the country with their sharia courts! omg!

So you really think that a muslim majority in france wouldn't have any impact of laws? Idiot.

Yes but the difference between you and me is that despite what views people have I still believe every human is entitled to some basic dignity from his fellow man
There's "basic dignity" and then there's "people being made minorities in their own countries".

More importantly I believe people should be judged as individuals not as a homogenous creed to be vilified and abused by small minded and petty individuals like yourself.
Really???? So you're opposed to gender profiling by the police?

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
Ok so then i guess you agree that the government can set down laws which say what newspapers are and aren't allowed to publish and that that isn't an infringement of free speech?
Public private difference mate. Don't straw man me come on

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Public private difference mate. Don't straw man me come on
It's not a strawman. The french idea vs the british idea of free speech is completely different. The french believe free speech should be "accordance to law" which defeats the whole point of free speech. Universities restricting free speech is the dumbest shit in the world, they're supposed to be the bastion of free and radical ideas.

Sylvia: yeah the muslim majority has changed so many french laws like the banning of the burqa, good on them for influencing the french legal system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)