• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Islam cartoon pulled from student newspaper website (1 Viewer)

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
It's not a strawman. The french idea vs the british idea of free speech is completely different. The french believe free speech should be "accordance to law" which defeats the whole point of free speech. Universities restricting free speech is the dumbest shit in the world, they're supposed to be the bastion of free and radical ideas.

Sylvia: yeah the muslim majority has changed so many french laws like the banning of the burqa, good on them for influencing the french legal system.
yes supposed to be in theory, doesn't work out in practice.

but alas my point was missed. Gov shouldn't control speech, written or otherwise. However in this case it wasn't in the public arena.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

but alas my point was missed. Gov shouldn't control speech, written or otherwise. However in this case it wasn't in the public arena.
It's a student paper, how is it not in the "public arena." Anything that's published no matter how small shall not be restricted in anyway.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

So a paper funded and run by students at an institution funded by public money which is located on what was public land and which was established by an act of parliament isn't in the public arena? OK.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
It's a student paper, how is it not in the "public arena." Anything that's published no matter how small shall not be restricted in anyway.
The students who wrote this student newspaper, agreed to that uni's policy. If I went into an RSL and started handing out papers and started talking shit about the Anzacs, that RSL has every right to tell me to GTFO. However if it was outside that RSL on the street then it's fine. Get my point yet? Private vs Public

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
So a paper funded and run by students at an institution funded by public money which is located on what was public land and which was established by an act of parliament isn't in the public arena? OK.
private schools get public money yet their still private schools

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
And i think those are abhorrent crimes, and Saudi has an outdated and fundamentalist application of sharia law that is not in line with what many Muslims think and is considered quite controversial even within the Muslim community. Sharia law itself is considered a redundant practice by many Muslims due to the fact that a) by its very definition as a religious law it excludes other religions and thus cannot apply universally and b) because there isn't any agreement on what it actually should be, whether it should integrate just the Qur'an or the Hadith as well etc. In fact many facets of "shariah law" that have been applied in some African nations etc. have little to do with Islam at all but have more of a cultural base.

It's silly to classify Muslims as this one homogeneous mass where everyone thinks the same.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If the uni wants to control content then they should fund the paper themselves and not run elections for the editors. Otherwise they shouldn't censor them. After all, it's the students who will bear the ultimate responsibility if somebody was going to come along an sue them or whatever.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
And i think those are abhorrent crimes, and Saudi has an outdated and fundamentalist application of sharia law that is not in line with what many Muslims think
82% of Egyptian Muslims favor stoning adulterers

http://pewglobal.org/2010/12/02/muslims-around-the-world-divided-on-hamas-and-hezbollah/

Sharia law itself is considered a redundant practice by many Muslims

81% of Egyptians want strict Sharia imposed in every Islamic country
76% of Pakistanis want strict Sharia imposed in every Islamic country
49% (plurality) of Indonesians want strict Sharia imposed in every Islamic country
76% of Moroccans want strict Sharia imposed in every Islamic country

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
If the uni wants to control content then they should fund the paper themselves and not run elections for the editors. Otherwise they shouldn't censor them. After all, it's the students who will bear the ultimate responsibility if somebody was going to come along an sue them or whatever.
but did they agree to adhere to university policy, Australian Press Guidelines etc. when they published the magazine?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
82% of Egyptian Muslims favor stoning adulterers

http://pewglobal.org/2010/12/02/muslims-around-the-world-divided-on-hamas-and-hezbollah/

81% of Egyptians want strict Sharia imposed in every Islamic country
76% of Pakistanis want strict Sharia imposed in every Islamic country
49% (plurality) of Indonesians want strict Sharia imposed in every Islamic country
76% of Moroccans want strict Sharia imposed in every Islamic country

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf
lol that really means nothing as the term "strict Sharia" is ridiculously nebulous to the point pretty much no one can agree as to what it is

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
lol that really means nothing as the term "strict Sharia" is ridiculously nebulous to the point pretty much no one can agree as to what it is
It's funny how people babble on about sharia courts in france and the UK when they're just an alternative arbitration system instead of an ACTUAL court.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
but did they agree to adhere to university policy, Australian Press Guidelines etc. when they published the magazine?
point I was about to make. They agreed to that uni's code of conduct. if they were students who published something that wasn't a student newspaper (or whatever) then the uni has no say, but this wasn't the case.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
They may have but
1) the press council isn't able to order content removed
2) just because it is in the code of conduct doesn't mean it should be

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Brett still thinks that his "research" counts as credible, the poor thing.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
They may have but
Well derr. If it were up to me people would be able to publish and say whatever the fuck they want anywhere. However I do believe in private contract and property rights

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
They may have but
1) fair enough, i'm not too familiar with how it works so you are probs correct on this
2) doesn't that make it an issue of the people who make the code of conduct then, i.e. the press council and not the uni?

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
TBH half the threads on this forum make me wish I had a lawyer on call :tongue:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)