James Ruse, nsghs, sghs (1 Viewer)

flautist

HSC
Hey,
Does anyone here go to James Ruse, North Syd Girls or Sydney Girls? What do you think of your school? How are the teachers and students? Is it really competitive there?

Cheers

sleepplease

HSC
I go to NOrth Sydney Girls and i absolutely love it. The teachers are awesome - some of them of course arent great (liek at all schools) but overall the majority are brilliant at teaching and very open to helping out of school hours and are ALWAYS up for a chat about anything that may be concerning you.
Students again are incredble! From what i have heard NSGH is unusal as the intergrade bonding is amazing, there isnt really any inter-grade tension we all tend to mix. I personally have friends in all grades and have never experienced bullying or bitching at school and i think that says something about NSGH (like how great it is :p)
Clearly, i love my school!
As for competitiveness, yes it is competitive but not in the sense that WE'RE against eachother - we all share notes and resources - in the sense that everyone is very high achieving and wants to do their best... yes the year tweleves are all very stressed but thats the same at everyschhol - i fing NSGH to be incredibly supportive

in conclusion... i love my school :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I'd think it'd be more competitive at baulko and hornsby

considering they beat out NSGHS and SGHS in 05

sleepplease

HSC
politik said:
I love reading people talk up these crap selective schools... Any school is a good school if you're motivated enough.
why are selective schools crap politik?
i agree acedemically you can suceed anywhere if you have the determindation (and a certain degree of intelligence) i never said otherwise... all im saying is that i love MY school.

flautist

HSC
politik said:
I love reading people talk up these crap selective schools... Any school is a good school if you're motivated enough.
Constructive comments that answers the questions asked only, please

flautist

HSC
Thanks for your comments, sleepplease. How many places does your school offer in year 11? And what year are you in?

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
damn straight bookie :D
by the way, how u feeling man? getting better?

HSC
flautist said:
Hey,
Does anyone here go to James Ruse, North Syd Girls or Sydney Girls? What do you think of your school? How are the teachers and students? Is it really competitive there?

Cheers
I would say that yes, it's probably more competitive in a selective school. It's done subtly though. We're all very friendly with each other, but there's always that underlying competitiveness. Inevitable though. And it's motivation to do well anyway.

There's less bullying/backstabbing. If anything, we try to beat other people in terms of marks. Some people are pretty hardcore about it, but mostly everyone is nice and will try to help each other out. You're a girl, so bitching will exist in an all-girl school. But it's not bad because you don't let it known if you dislike someone personally.

Some teachers are crap, some are excellent. Students are very smart, and there's a tendency to feel stupid sometimes because everyone seems so much more intelligent than you. But after 5 and half years, you're just used to it.

But it's a good school. I know you can do well at any school, but it's probably an advantage to go to a selective school, because in a sense, they force you to work harder IMO. That's what I find. I go to sghs.

Btw, if you're looking to go into Yr 11, the places are pretty limited and you've got to be good. All the new Yr 11's are freakishly smart. They also display "leadership qualities". The school wants people who will up their reputation, as much as I hate the concept. But if you come here, you'll fit in if you're nice, no probs. I'll be gone though. This is my last year thank God.

HSC
N/A
bobness said:
I'd think it'd be more competitive at baulko and hornsby

considering they beat out NSGHS and SGHS in 05
Serious? Gah someone link me to statistics - I've lost track since '04 :(

I can personally attest to the fact that Baulko and Hornsby are reaching almost ridiculously competitive levels. I know at Hornsby there's a lot of "we can't let baulko beat us!" mentality, however reports suggest that baulko is even MORE competitive... I don't know what they're telling the kids over there (if anything at all) but a lot of the students throughout the school (not just Yr 12) are literally working their butts off and putting quite a bit of pressure on themselves, which isn't something HGHS does (judging from time I was there, anyway). Hornsby has a number of VERY good teachers (such as in english and maths), and have a number of VERY gifted students. It's also quite small, so most people know each other :)

I hear James Ruse is not "competitive" per se, but there is a lot of emphasis put on choosing subjects that will allow the student to achieve best marks possible.

From what I've heard, North Sydney Girls is like Hornsby academic-wise, but not so competitive, and with a much more supportive atmosphere. They have a great arts section... all the girls I've talked to from that school LOVE it, which is such a rare thing to hear students say, particularly from a selective school.

Whilst I agree that people from public schools can achieve just as well if not better than selective schools, the fact remains that selective schools provide an optimum environment for learning. Whilst facilities may not be as good as at a private school, the RESOURCES alone can put students at a huge advantage. As most students are interested in going to uni, they are ALL going to have an interest in achieving and hence there is a lot less mucking around like you might find in public schools.

HSC
N/A
sweetsweetcandy said:
I would say that yes, it's probably more competitive in a selective school. It's done subtly though. We're all very friendly with each other, but there's always that underlying competitiveness. Inevitable though. And it's motivation to do well anyway.

There's less bullying/backstabbing. If anything, we try to beat other people in terms of marks. Some people are pretty hardcore about it, but mostly everyone is nice and will try to help each other out. You're a girl, so bitching will exist in an all-girl school. But it's not bad because you don't let it known if you dislike someone personally.

Some teachers are crap, some are excellent. Students are very smart, and there's a tendency to feel stupid sometimes because everyone seems so much more intelligent than you. But after 5 and half years, you're just used to it.

But it's a good school. I know you can do well at any school, but it's probably an advantage to go to a selective school, because in a sense, they force you to work harder IMO. That's what I find. I go to sghs.

Btw, if you're looking to go into Yr 11, the places are pretty limited and you've got to be good. All the new Yr 11's are freakishly smart. They also display "leadership qualities". The school wants people who will up their reputation, as much as I hate the concept. But if you come here, you'll fit in if you're nice, no probs. I'll be gone though. This is my last year thank God.
Really well said :)

Might just elaborate on one point though - "there's a tendency to feel stupid sometimes because everyone seems so much more intelligent than you. But after 5 and half years, you're just used to it."

It's a bit of a downer but after 6 years being "average" or maybe slightly below in a selective high school, I'm consciously aware that I'm capable of doing a fair number of things, but subconsciously, am ALWAYS feeling inferior. Parents didn't help either - though they'd say things like "a little below average at a selective school is still really good" they'd give me all this crap about how I wasn't in the top 5% etc etc. And so I'd often feel miserable, wanting to be 'at the top' but knowing I could NEVER surpass the unbelievably gifted girls in my grade who were topping the class. It's something I'm having to deal with in uni... whereas most people have minor stuffups, but get over it and learn how to avoid it in the future, I just brush it off with a "nevermind, I'm dumb and will always make mistakes like that, it's not worth trying to get over". :( My friends are supportive about it, but gah. It's something I'm still trying to get over...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
sunlightstarz said:
I'm from Ruse and I reckon people think it's a lot more stressful and competitive than it is really. It's really not that bad; a lot of it is the students' own initiative cos the teachers don't chase you up for work nearly as much as they did in, say, year 10. I mean, they care, but it's ultimately your education. The competitiveness isn't so much wanting to do well so you can beat other people as wanting to do well outright for yourself. It's a good school, I gotta say, they know you can't and won't study 24/7. And people are nicer, more polite. There's a bigger feeling of cohesiveness, I think, than in most schools. Heaps of arts/music/etc opportunities as well.

Then again I could just be biased. =)
yeah u are

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Pfft noone knows my school.

At Uni at O-week we had to introduce ourselves and say what school we were from...

"Ruse"
"Ruse"
"Sydney Grammar"
"Ruse"
"NSG"
"Hornsby Girls"
"Sydney Girls"
"Sydney Boys"
(bunch of private schools)
"Baulko"
"What's that? Never heard of."

pottsy44

HSC
are nsgh are they the ones in pink or blue, bah anyway the ones in blue in north sydney have a few hotties from there lol.

Feiyt

HSC
Hahaa...how strange. I was always under the impression that it was Baulkham Hills and James Ruse that were mortal enemies. Hmm...maybe not.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
I've always wondered if the credit for them high marks should go to the teachers or the students...

Well, usually goes like ths: if the student does well, the teacher gets cred. If the student does poorly, the student gets crudded.

So, is it the kids of the old guys being competitive?

-P_D

cupcake08

HSC
Jachie said:
Oh, god. Things must have changed drastically since you've left, because as a current student I can tell you that things are nowhere near that intense at Hornsby anymore. Maybe I'm just oblivious, maybe I've just got a particularly relaxed and friendly grade, but I can tell you that we are NOT that competitive. I'm not sure if you mean competitive/supportive in terms of peer relationships, or teacher-student, but in our grade at least there is a very relaxed and, yes, supportive vibe. Maybe I just lucked out on this front, though, but since the OP is in my grade, I can tell you now that if you were to transfer to HGHS you'd have very friendly and supportive peers.
hmm thats interesting. i'm at hornsby too, but i've found my grade has become pretty competitive when it comes to marks. of course, everone is still friendly and supportive, but there is definitely an underlying competitive vibe. i guess it was a lot more relaxed in the junior school though, and in year 11 everyone becomes a lot more aware of the hsc around the corner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)