journal (1 Viewer)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
The last time I touched a cigarette was like a few months ago haha. Now, I only smoke cigarettes/weed when i'm really stress/sad LOL

Kinda... I don't see where limits come into play except in horizontal asymptotes where you just sub the limit in but when I look through my textbooks, they use limits everywhere and i'm like what the fuq is dis necessary. Like if there's a question y = blah blah / blah

I just find the vertical asymptote by putting the denominator = 0, find the horizontal asymptote by finding the limit as x --> infinity, x and y intercepts and turning points (or guide graphs)

dat is all. Do i need anything else why do I see limits on the page besides when I was finding my horizontal asymptotes what the fuck
Do you get the concept of limits though? It is rly useful and makes graphing a lot easier

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I think they just want limits to see where stuff approaches when values get big

Tbh I rarely use limits when I'm doing working out
...just sub in a point or like make an educated guess lol I really only use it for HA too but whatever works

Ps get off BoS and study lol
lol i gave up on graphs

ill do more tomorrow hahaha

Eshays lad, where'd you get the weed from?
your mums top drawer

Do you get the concept of limits though? It is rly useful and makes graphing a lot easier
How is using limits useful and making graphing easier like all I do is find the vertical asymptote, horizontal asymptote (using limits obviously) or oblique asymptotes (using long division. Can you confirm if you ahve to use limits in oblique asymptotes?) and turning points

dat is all

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
lol i gave up on graphs

ill do more tomorrow hahaha

your mums top drawer

How is using limits useful and making graphing easier like all I do is find the vertical asymptote, horizontal asymptote (using limits obviously) or oblique asymptotes (using long division. Can you confirm if you ahve to use limits in oblique asymptotes?) and turning points

dat is all
cos limits can give you really good hints about where a graph is headed, it's excellent for getting the bigger picture

if you get limits+turning points a lotta the time it pretty much becomes a matter of connect the dots then for graphing

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
fawun, once I get back home, I'll help you out. I got notes on graphs. Usually would cost $$$, but I will be nice, and I'll give it for free.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Nah, economics is good.
I said that in prelim lol.

Come term 4 you know what happened.

The point is don't judge a subject too much. You will find that you will be inclined to do more of a subject that you enjoy (as you are motivated to do it), without having to say that you enjoy it. Then you will realise that you enjoy the subject when you find that you are not going behind in it, but going behind in others :haha:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC

Come term 4 you know what happened.

The point is don't judge a subject too much. You will find that you will be inclined to do more of a subject that you enjoy (as you are motivated to do it), without having to say that you enjoy it. Then you will realise that you enjoy the subject when you find that you are not going behind in it, but going behind in others :haha:
lol why did you hate eco? (out of curiosity!)

Fawun

Queen
HSC
cos limits can give you really good hints about where a graph is headed, it's excellent for getting the bigger picture

if you get limits+turning points a lotta the time it pretty much becomes a matter of connect the dots then for graphing
can i not use limits

i am trying to avoid limits aahaha

fawun, once I get back home, I'll help you out. I got notes on graphs. Usually would cost $$$, but I will be nice, and I'll give it for free.
aw thanks haha are you still in ching chong land?

ahhahaha this. I said that eco was my best and favorite subject in prelim

nek min

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
use limits lol trust me

u got dis

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
lol why did you hate eco? (out of curiosity!)
I felt there was little logic to it, no experiments and nothing extra-curricular besides watching/reading the news (which I haven't been interested in news for years lol).

There was one time where I tried to show the class how to use calculus in Economics, but considering only 4 in the class did 2-unit it was just odd.

So yeah I'm not into that stuff.

I'm just not that type of person. I'm happy that when I wanted to do Commerce in year 9 I switched my decision in year 10 to engo.

can i not use limits

i am trying to avoid limits aahaha
Use the limits. The first thing I did in every graphing question was use limits. It helps and you derive the asymptotes in 0.00005 seconds.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
yes I'm in ching chong land. by home, I meant like back to my computer where I'm staying. reactive ur fb so I can send it to you in 30min from now.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
use limits lol trust me

u got dis
but i don't know how to use limits for fucks sake

I felt there was little logic to it, no experiments and nothing extra-curricular besides watching/reading the news (which I haven't been interested in news for years lol).

There was one time where I tried to show the class how to use calculus in Economics, but considering only 4 in the class did 2-unit it was just odd.

So yeah I'm not into that stuff.

I'm just not that type of person. I'm happy that when I wanted to do Commerce in year 9 I switched my decision in year 10 to engo.

Use the limits. The first thing I did in every graphing question was use limits. It helps and you derive the asymptotes in 0.00005 seconds.
What i don't understand

I need like a step by step guide on how to graph using limits

I am so fucking confused how do i graph ugh

yes I'm in ching chong land. by home, I meant like back to my computer where I'm staying. reactive ur fb so I can send it to you in 30min from now.
Oh I thought you meant home as in back here lol and yeah I just reactivated my facebook for the 4th fucking time today hahaha let me know when you've sent it to me so I can go on and then deactivate again.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
so $toned aw shit nigga hella mother fucking 666 odd future man bro check out this my swag with the what whole 666 420 $$$$ holla holla get dolla swed cash fucking marijuana cigarettes gangsta gangsta easy-e cream so baked off that bobmarley ganja 420 shit pure og kush legalize crystal weed.
fuk ye

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What i don't understand

I need like a step by step guide on how to graph using limits

I am so fucking confused how do i graph ugh
Basicaly I used to look at the question, apply the limits of positive and negative infinity, apply the limits of tending to zero from the positive side and negative side, then the limits involved with the denominator.

You can do some mentally as some have no point in working out and writing them down. However, when you get an important result write it down!

Then find any stationary points as specified by finding the derivative. Then plot the axis with the asymptotes.

Then substitute in values of x into the original equation until you find the distinct shape of the curve at the asymptotes and the continuous parts.

You can then just graph it easily after plotting all the points you need.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Basicaly I used to look at the question, apply the limits of positive and negative infinity, apply the limits of tending to zero from the positive side and negative side, then the limits involved with the denominator.

You can do some mentally as some have no point in working out and writing them down. However, when you get an important result write it down!

Then find any stationary points as specified by finding the derivative. Then plot the axis with the asymptotes.

Then substitute in values of x into the original equation until you find the distinct shape of the curve at the asymptotes and the continuous parts.

You can then just graph it easily after plotting all the points you need.
Why do you have to find so many limits jesus christ

How come like when I see examples from the textbook, they use long division and then finding the limit like wtf

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Why do you have to find so many limits jesus christ

How come like when I see examples from the textbook, they use long division and then finding the limit like wtf
I do them quickly using the calculator. For example, for tending to zero from the positive side, put in your calculator: 0.000001 = ANS.

Then use the ANS key to get a quick limit using this calculator short-cut.

Don't use long division though. Just substitute a quick limit and it works all fine. What textbook is this? I remember Terry Lee's going through this very well and made graphing so easy.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I do them quickly using the calculator. For example, for tending to zero from the positive side, put in your calculator: 0.000001 = ANS.

Then use the ANS key to get a quick limit using this calculator short-cut.

Don't use long division though. Just substitute a quick limit and it works all fine. What textbook is this? I remember Terry Lee's going through this very well and made graphing so easy.
Oh okay yeah that makes sense! Just to confirm, when finding oblique asymptotes, you don't need to find the limit of the dividend right? Because the asymptote is the dividend?

Its terry lee wtf haha ive been on the first exercise for a week now because i have nfi what to do lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Oh okay yeah that makes sense! Just to confirm, when finding oblique asymptotes, you don't need to find the limit of the dividend right? Because the asymptote is the dividend?

Its terry lee wtf haha ive been on the first exercise for a week now because i have nfi what to do lol
I don't get that terminology lol.

Show me a pic if you can or explain a little.

The first exercise was a pain to get through. But by the time I got to the second and third I was already smashing the questions and was onto past papers. I didn't do 1:4 because the first three had already made me a beast.

And to be honest, the one in q11 2013 was a little tricky and took me a few minutes, though it was a really beautiful question :)

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I don't get that terminology lol.

Show me a pic if you can or explain a little.

The first exercise was a pain to get through. But by the time I got to the second and third I was already smashing the questions and was onto past papers. I didn't do 1:4 because the first three had already made me a beast.

And to be honest, the one in q11 2013 was a little tricky and took me a few minutes, though it was a really beautiful question :)
As in when you find the oblique asymptote (i hope you know what that is lol) is it just using long division and whatever you get from the long division the asymptote? Or do you still have to use limits?

Yeah haha i have no idea whats going on in the first exercise haha ive been looking at examples and shit but I gave up. I'm turning to Cambridge because of how shitty (hard) the first exercise was haha

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
By the way, I can probably scan the working out I had on the exercises for you and show you what I did to break the questions down. Maybe not today probably tomorrow night.

I actually did graphs all by myself. I knew from half-yearlies that we wouldn't finish the syllabus on time and my teacher said we will do graphs later on. So in the end I just did graphs by myself (half) in the term 1 holidays and tested to see if I remembered everything in term 2 holidays by doing 1:3 which I did somehow.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
As in when you find the oblique asymptote (i hope you know what that is lol) is it just using long division and whatever you get from the long division the asymptote? Or do you still have to use limits?

Yeah haha i have no idea whats going on in the first exercise haha ive been looking at examples and shit but I gave up. I'm turning to Cambridge because of how shitty (hard) the first exercise was haha
you can get the asymptote directly from the long division

iirc patrickjmt had a decent vid on it

EDIT: http://patrickjmt.com/finding-slant-asymptotes-of-rational-functions/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)