Just A Little Advice To High Achievers (1 Viewer)

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
DO NOT DO FUKING CRAP SUBJECTS LIKE HOSPITALITY, or PDHPE etcetcetce....they give u sooo fuking low scaling it is not funny

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
annabackwards said:
Or just ace them so the low scaling doesn't affect you as much
yeah.

people are like 'ZOMGGG DO SUBJECTS THAT SCALEZ HEAPZ GUDD'

then they do them, and suck at them, then get sucky results, and suck.

do subjects you are good at, so you do well in them, and maximise your results despite your subject 'scaling poorly'

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
well basically most subjects scale down at one point (high, middle and to lower ends) and scale up at certain point (usually at very higher ends).

Scaling will work on your favour if you ace the subject basically...

That's why it's more important to choose subjects that you are confident with rather than subjects that presumably have "high scaling". Issue of scaling only comes into play if you have two subjects that you both like and excel in.

sonnysburning

HSC
i did hospitality.. and my principal told me it's mark counted more towards my uai than modern history did.. 85 in hospitality, 81 in modern..

08er

HSC
not if you do really well in those subjects. really well

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ahhliss said:
How good do you have to get for scaling to help you?
Like the very top ends basically.

But for subjects like 4 Unit Mathematics and 3 Unit Mathematics that have very good scaling in place, I think the scaling rarely adversly affects you....

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
LOL 4U maths, don't you always get scaled with 4U maths?

I'd say band 6 will definitely rmeove the scaling problem, except for say standard english

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
It's better to take subjects that you're good at (and a subject that you like) and totally ace them instead of doing subjects you can't do and not doing as well as you could've done in a better subject.
Hence why I took Visual Arts and Music 1 (which are apparently notorius for being low scaling subjects) instead of... I don't know... Physics and Chemistry or something.

And anyone who can achieve a Band 6 in PDHPE is a legend. I've heard it was a terribly difficult subject.

Word of advice: choose subjects that you LIKE.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I concur. Do subjects that you like, you'll do better in them than subjects that you hate!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
annabackwards said:
LOL 4U maths, don't you always get scaled with 4U maths?

I'd say band 6 will definitely rmeove the scaling problem, except for say standard english
A band 6 in Standard English actually scales quite high as it is difficult to get a band 6 in Standard English.

hjp.

HSC
i did PDHPE, and managed to get a UAI of 96.65, which is good in my opinion.

i got a band 6 in it though.

my advice would be to go with subjects you like, that you are good at, and that are somehow related to what you want to do after school. i liked PDHPE and i was a good at it, so i did it.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Your RAW MARK gets scaled for your UAI, NOT your aligned mark (the marks you receive). There is no direct correlation between aligned marks and scaled marks. Aligned marks and scaled marks are derived from two DIFFERENT PROCESSES. Most of you are intrepreting table A3 incorrectly. See the flowchart:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/flowchart.pdf

It is incorrect to say that all subjects scale down except near the top, because many of you believe that the aligned HSC marks are scaled.

So for example in Mathematics Extension 1, according to table A3, an aligned HSC mark of 46/50 corresponded to a scaled HSC mark of 45.2/50. This DOES NOT mean that 46 was scaled down to 45.2!!! The corresponding raw mark X (which is not revealed) becomes scaled to 45.2 through one path and aligned to 46 through another path. The way you're meant to interpret the table is that the 75th percentile = 45.2/50 aligned and 75th percentile = 45.2/50 scaled, with no correlation between aligned and scaled marks.

Another example is English Extension 2. The SAME aligned mark 50/50 led to different scaled marks. Why? Because they have DIFFERENT RAW MARKS behind them! It would be wrong to say that 50/50 scales to 50/50 AND scales down 48.9/50, because they have different raw marks behind them. You're meant to interpret the table as top mark = 50/50 aligned and top mark = 50/50 scaled with 99th percentile = 50/50 aligned and 99th percentile = 48.9/50 scaled

Last edited:

janaranaran!

HSC
I got 38 in maths ext 1 and 42 in Eng ext 2, and they counted towards my uai where my 89 in art didnt.

i was convinced my maths ext wouldn't count so i didn't study for it. DAMN STUPID WOMAN!!

EDIT: and DAMN STUPID HUNDREDS OF HOURS SPENT MAKING A FREAKING BODY OF WORK!!!

bendha

HSC
ahhh i did pd and got 99+

just get band 6 in all your subjects then scaling won't affect .. but if you start getting low 80s .. should really consider the scaling subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)