Looking to buy a Laptop; Should I get a Mac OS or stick with a Windows OS? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
Hello. I'm a Mac. (As of Saturday 18th, October 2008)

Who wants a first impression review from a first time PC to Mac convert?

dolbinau

HSC
Umm I have the pleasure of working with these pieces of junk everyday so I know what I'm talking about. If you actually use the likes of Garageband and iDVD and think they are good pieces of software good you are obviously not an experienced user. They only people who use that crap are Mum and Dad burning DVDs of the weekend barbeque. Its like the MS Paint of graphic design.
lol. That's the point of them.

SpamZ

HSC
I need help choosing a new laptop, I figured it'd be better if I just added to this thread than start a new one.

Basically, I'll be travelling a fair bit over the next 12-18 months and I need something that'll be reliable. Probably won't be doing a lot of gaming on it, but def. needs to run smoothly when doing all my uni work.

I figured Macbooks are too out of my price range, so I'm leaning towards Asus or Dell (I'd go for the Macbook if it wasn't so freakin' expensive!).

Also with OS...should I stick with XP or just jump straight to Vista?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
If you're going to go Windows, STAY WITH XP OH MY GOD. Especially if you want something reasonably reliable.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
SpamZ said:
I need help choosing a new laptop, I figured it'd be better if I just added to this thread than start a new one.

Basically, I'll be travelling a fair bit over the next 12-18 months and I need something that'll be reliable. Probably won't be doing a lot of gaming on it, but def. needs to run smoothly when doing all my uni work.

I figured Macbooks are too out of my price range, so I'm leaning towards Asus or Dell (I'd go for the Macbook if it wasn't so freakin' expensive!).

You could get a lower grade apple laptop, or an older one.

And XP all the way. Wait for a couple more service packs till you get Vista.

HSC
there is nothing wrong with vista now imo opinion, i love it and it did not experience any problems with it, i have XP now cos it came with my new laptop

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Tbh I haven't had any major catastrophic explosions with vista yet.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Tbh I haven't had any major catastrophic explosions with vista yet.
I suspect its more a perception thing, and people not liking things moving/changing from one edition to the next. I think the move from 2000 -> xp was actually the first incarnation of the mainstream population actually engaging with the computer.

Personally, the aesthetic changes going from 2000 to XP shit me, but I grew to like XP, and the same happened with Vista but I guess some people don't like having to figure out what all the changes meant.

In short, nubs having problems with vista.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
It's not the fact that the design has changed - for me, XP GIU is substantially more efficient than Vista's.

HSC
yeah of course... the only downfall that windows vista has is its resourse intensive GUI

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Kwayera said:
It's not the fact that the design has changed - for me, XP GIU is substantially more efficient than Vista's.
Zamples?

I mean I don't see any compelling reason for anyone to switch to Vista unless they're a gamer, but by the same token there's really not much reason for me to switch back.

drobby

Pwnage
HSC
SpamZ said:

If you want something that can do games good, get the dell xps 1530, it depends on how much you want to pay... you can get a solid one for $2000
but personally i would ghet a cheap laptop and a good desktop, as desktops are a fraction of the cost and also you can upgrade them to the latest tech for like $200-400 hence play sexy games. So therefore i would et a eee asus laptop .... about $300-500 dollars, 1kg, portable with 80GB HDD, so then its easy to take around, and then you can pwn on the desktop

HSC
I have just been listening to windows weekly, apparently windows 7 will be less resource intensive then vista, it will run good on a netbook.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I would go Vista, but yeah, the memory consumption turns me off. And there are apparently just a couple more bugs to be fixed. I'll get Vista when I get my new laptop, the PC's are staying XP.

And yeah, I prefer the XP GUI to Vista. It seems in Vista you have to go through more menus and sub-menus...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
AusBluesMan said:
And yeah, I prefer the XP GUI to Vista. It seems in Vista you have to go through more menus and sub-menus...
Examples?

white ferret

HSC
The only complaint I have with Vista is the constant need to install windows updates. I swear there weren't that many for XP.

The only reason I'm on vista is coz it came with my laptop, like many others, my desktop's still on XP.

Vista has a cleaner design though. Prettier =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)