Make notes as you go or not? (1 Viewer)

FreeWorld

HSC
So what is your approach in terms of making notes for the HSC and other exams? do you do it while you learn it? end of each week?

Personally, i find that i'll forget much of the notes i've written down when it comes to the exams (i know its made for reading it over again) because i learn it as im writing it down.

So do you think by making notes closer to exam or further is better?

speedofsound

HSC
probably closer. if you think you're honestly consistently going to be making notes daily/weekly for the entire year, you're kidding yourself.

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
probably closer. if you think you're honestly consistently going to be making notes daily/weekly for the entire year, you're kidding yourself.
i've been doing that. Not kidding myself at all :)

twistedrebel

HSC
are you guys including term 4? if yes please teach me your skills, its the first few weeks, everyone has huge boosts to work hard.

pman

Banned
HSC
Do it, I failed to and regreted it..even better, try and get them done in class

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I've been making them ... sporadically, but basically as I go. Every two or three weeks I make sure I'm not too behind. But this is only for sciences, because they're easy.

For english, I have to wait till I'm nearly finished the module, because otherwise it's hard to know what to actually write notes ON, because you only get a proper and rounded understanding of everything/linking etc when you're nearly finished it. In my opinion anyway.

scroates

fresh meat
HSC
i just did notes every time a module of the syllabus was finished in class, worked for me

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been making them ... sporadically, but basically as I go. Every two or three weeks I make sure I'm not too behind. But this is only for sciences, because they're easy.

For english, I have to wait till I'm nearly finished the module, because otherwise it's hard to know what to actually write notes ON, because you only get a proper and rounded understanding of everything/linking etc when you're nearly finished it. In my opinion anyway.
+1.

If this was an ideal world, I'd be making my dinky little notes every day as soon as I got home from school, right after having a glass of milk and a choc-chip cookie. Unfortunately, it's not, so I'm going to end up having a major cram session before assessments =\

@BHS10 &mtsmahia, you guys are amazing o______o

MetroMattums

HSC
Notes don't do jack unless you apply what you learn from them in past exam papers or practice questions...

Klutsov

HSC
I try to do them every couple of days or on weekends...

But they are useless unless they are applied to questions

yalando

HSC
Trust me, do it. My Half-Yearlys are happening at the moment and the amount of stress that is taken off of you for writing notes along the way has been extreme. You can basically go back and revise, do practice questions and solidify knowledge whereas i found for Year 11 yearlys i had to write notes on all the dot points before actually beginning to study. My stress levels have been very low because of it these past few weeks.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Well the benefits of having a good teacher is that he/she gives you good notes.

For instance, my 3U teacher gave me awesome notes from his 30 or so years of teaching. He has a massive book which is has compiled over the 30 years. He said that he adds anything to them whenever he sees any interesting questions which applies to the syllabus.

I also had him for the last 4 weeks of last term. His mechanics notes were very awesome lol.

Also my Physics teacher gave us good notes and went through hard questions with us.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I didn't make notes until a few weeks before the HSC which served me well. Note that i only made notes (bahahahaha) for modern, chem and phys.

They were super useful for mas as i had those 3 exams one day after the other...

If you're one that needs to do past papers to learn but you know your info, don't do 'em. Otherwise, do 'em as you go along unless you're 1/ Going to put yourself through hell or 2/Be like me and get a group of peeps together to share the work load.

HSC
Make them closer to your Trials / HSC exams

Making notes is an excellent 'knowledge-consoldation' exercise - at least that's what my tutor calls it

Once you've learnt almost all your stuff, its time to consolidate ! :D

mioumiou

HSC
I didn't make notes until a few weeks before the HSC which served me well. Note that i only made notes (bahahahaha) for modern, chem and phys.

They were super useful for mas as i had those 3 exams one day after the other...

If you're one that needs to do past papers to learn but you know your info, don't do 'em. Otherwise, do 'em as you go along unless you're 1/ Going to put yourself through hell or 2/Be like me and get a group of peeps together to share the work load.
It's always a good idea to study with a group of people however, this does not really happen in our school, people are just not willing to share the information around. I really like to study in groups..... but I think I have to study off by myself now. =S

FreeWorld

HSC
Come to think of it, i might do some revising after each week or so and do notes/summaries when it gets abit closer so i don't forget them.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's always a good idea to study with a group of people however, this does not really happen in our school, people are just not willing to share the information around. I really like to study in groups..... but I think I have to study off by myself now. =S
Oh i see :/

Well, studying by yourself has lots of benefits too :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)