Making up a related text (1 Viewer)

yours

HSC
don't they look into those quotes?
The time needed to first find the text, then search through the text (imagine a novel) to check if there are any instances of the quote, is so absolutely absurd I can't imagine a teacher ever doing it. Especially considering they want to get through a pile of essays since they're probably being paid for each one they mark, who on earth would make the tedious task of marking countless essays on the same question even more time-consuming by cross-checking quotes? It's insane.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But tbh, if they ask for 3 related texts in the exam it's much easier to make one up on the spot than to try and think of something you've seen and analyse it.
And if worse come to worse I guess you could do one of the unseen texts at the start of the paper. (I plan on using one as my 2nd RT)
OK, I'll concede that. :p

interesting

HSC
N/A
The time needed to first find the text, then search through the text (imagine a novel) to check if there are any instances of the quote, is so absolutely absurd I can't imagine a teacher ever doing it. Especially considering they want to get through a pile of essays since they're probably being paid for each one they mark, who on earth would make the tedious task of marking countless essays on the same question even more time-consuming by cross-checking quotes? It's insane.
all they have to do is type your text and your quote in google lol and possibly ctrl+f it :)

artosis

HSC
But tbh, if they ask for 3 related texts in the exam it's much easier to make one up on the spot than to try and think of something you've seen and analyse it.
And if worse come to worse I guess you could do one of the unseen texts at the start of the paper. (I plan on using one as my 2nd RT)
are they actually allowed to ask for 3 related texts???? wtf
do u mean 2 related and one core text?

RandoM_TerroR

あなたの背中に!
HSC
wow 3 wtf ? u SRS
where does it say that they can ask 3?
my teacher said they only ask for 2 maximum...

wtfwtf?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
They can ask for as many as they want. They could ask for 50 if they really wanted to. The point is though that they won't. 2 tops. 3 just won't happen, it could, but won't.

smartalec

HSC
im pretty sure theyll only ask for one. Ive spoken to high up english markers etc and they have all said they want people to focus on their core text. The thing is, some schools TELL students what related text they will be using and deconstruct it in class - which isn't very fair.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
wow.. if they ask for 3 related texts, how are you supposed to adapt your structure?
hmm its not in the syllabus right? 2 max?
Add in another paragraph or two?
It wouldn't make much of a difference, it would just make my analysis of all the texts very thin.
Also, I think on the syllabus it just says "Other texts of the students' choosing" or some shit. It doesn't specify the amount.

thats why you should prepare for it :) & are you sure you're allowed to do that?
Advanced people can prepare for it... I'm sure I'll be fine. Yeah, if they put it in and you use it they will just assume it's a big coincidence and you have chosen a well-suited belonging text.

They can ask for as many as they want. They could ask for 50 if they really wanted to. The point is though that they won't. 2 tops. 3 just won't happen, it could, but won't.
You say this now, but in two weeks we might have a different story on our hands.

yours

HSC
im pretty sure theyll only ask for one. Ive spoken to high up english markers etc and they have all said they want people to focus on their core text. The thing is, some schools TELL students what related text they will be using and deconstruct it in class - which isn't very fair.
Though they mark the essays in school groups. That means come time the markers get to that school, when they notice everyone's RT is the same, they'll scrutinise more. This is also the case for well-known and commonly used RTs like Alphabet Soup, Kite Runner, To kill a Mockingbird etc. Sure you can get 15/15 with any of these texts, but with an unknown text it's more likely you can wank your way through it and the marker won't have a clue.

kfnmpah

HSC
Lolz. I was going to make up a related text in my exam for the "power" (or something similar) question for Wag the Dog in my HSC in '09. BUT THEN I used a simpsons episode (Who Shot Mr. Burns? I spent all my stuvac watching simpsons instead of studying... not advised.) and... wait for it... the newspaper article released in 2009 about the secrecy of HSC marking... take that BOS!

http://www.smh.com.au/national/how-hsc-students-won-the-right-to-know-20090927-g7qx.html

mundungus

HSC
Is this allowed?
Discuss :headbang:
not allowed but i did it as a last result for my trial for into the world to some extent. as in i made up the film techniques and camera angle etc of a movie of the top of my head, that i had a very brief understanding of the plot summary. i got 15/20 so yeah. but i did it well and acted like i knew what i was talking about! :p

basically its not allowed but should only be done as a last result when all else seen doomed. btw if you do it make sure you do it well and make sure its not "a superficial made up analysis" so its believable.

AGAIN i do not recommend you do this!

yours

HSC
not allowed but i did it as a last result for my trial for into the world to some extent. as in i made up the film techniques and camera angle etc of a movie of the top of my head, that i had a very brief understanding of the plot summary. i got 15/20 so yeah. but i did it well and acted like i knew what i was talking about! :p

basically its not allowed but should only be done as a last result when all else seen doomed. btw if you do it make sure you do it well and make sure its not "a superficial made up analysis" so its believable.

AGAIN i do not recommend you do this!
It hinges on the skill of the person doing it. The fact that a text is invented does not necessitate a poor mark. An unconvincing argument, however, does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)