• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MATH 2U or 3U (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

This is my first post on BOS so i hope it's in the right place , ;P. So I am deciding on whether to do 2U or 3U because i am very keen on doing an engineering degree at UTS, or UNSW if i make it. BTW my school says to do well in 3U you should be getting persistent 90+ in exams whilst I am averaging 80s currently. So should i do 3U with my current maths results or confidently carry on with 2U?.

Also do you think i am disadvantaged in university application because assumed knowledge is 3 - 4U but is not a prerequisite.

:spin:

Hoggy70

HSC
I was getting 70's and 80's in year 10, attempted 3U and achieved well in the year 11 course. Was too much to do in year 12 course so dropped to 2U.
Try 3U and just drop if too hard because you cannot go from 2U to 3U

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
If you are ever unsure about doing 3U or 2U, choose 3U because you will be able to drop it anytime and stick with 2U. If you didn't choose 3U in year 11, you won't be able to choose it later on.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
So does any1 know what the main difference between 2 and 3 unit is like topics wise?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you want to do Engineering, do Maths 3U at least. Don't do 2U and then hope to do a bridging course later. Why create difficulties for yourself later.

For your 3U just work hard and try your very best - that is all you can ask of yourself.

Last edited:

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
-inverse trig
- permutations and combinations
- further trig with 3-D stuff, and also t-formula, auxiliary angle etc.
- polynomials
- bit more calculus with intgration by substitution
- iterative methods like having the interval, newtons method
- a lot more geometry, ESP. Circle geo.
- harder 2 unit basically
- division of an internal in a ratio, angle between two lines

Edit: how could I forget binomial theorem

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
How much harder than 2u is it?

Verify

HSC
How much harder than 2u is it?
I think it's actually quite a bit more challenging. In 2u you can just use formulas and apply it to a given question but in 3u you have to understand and figure out how to use certain formulas in certain situations.

macrazy

HSC
If you are interested in engineering, definitely give 3 unit a shot :) as everyone else has already said, you can drop back down if its too hard :)

D94

HSC
N/A
Also do you think i am disadvantaged in university application because assumed knowledge is 3 - 4U but is not a prerequisite.
No, you won't be disadvantaged. But you may be disadvantaging yourself if you don't do or at least attempt 3U, if you decide to pursue engineering at university.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Just do it. It never hurts to try ext 1 maths, id say that dedication takes you further than basing off how well you do in year 10. I did acceled course and since i was acing year 9 and i absolutely hated it, i had no motivation and dedicated little time to it resulting in coming pretty much last so if you're actually trying in maths right now and you're seeing results but you know you have potential, you should definately go for it.

fishrushed

HSC
Go 3U.
Apart from the fact that you can drop it if it gets too hard, you'll be a lot stronger in 2U. 3U will give a better understanding of maths and how to do it so if in 2U they throw in a curveball question, you'll tackle it with ease :)
It scales pretty well too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)