Matrix Atar Calculator Questions (1 Viewer)

maryjane05

HSC
How accurate is the matrix education atar calculator? Also, do you put in your raw marks or your scaled mark estimates?

carrotsss

HSC
How accurate is the matrix education atar calculator? Also, do you put in your raw marks or your scaled mark estimates?
you have to put in aligned marks, just like with all of the other ATAR calculators

carrotsss

HSC
i think even uac is also a bit inflated expect up to -0.3atar
from my testing it’s only off by 0.1 on average (usually above not below), but there are inherently some outliers that far away because there are multiple raw marks for each aligned mark, so there are multiple scaled marks and hence multiple atars for each aligned mark

and matrix underestimates by a lot and is pretty inconsistent, I would avoid it unless you need the ATAR->mark functionality because UAC ATAR compass is just more accurate

maryjane05

HSC
for some reason with both calculators, when I put the exact same subjects and marks with different levels of English, the ATAR is still showing the same. For example, all the other subjects were the same with the same marks. In one I had 90 on Standard English, on the other I had 90 on advanced English, and the ATAR did not go up at all???????

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
for some reason with both calculators, when I put the exact same subjects and marks with different levels of English, the ATAR is still showing the same. For example, all the other subjects were the same with the same marks. In one I had 90 on Standard English, on the other I had 90 on advanced English, and the ATAR did not go up at all???????
thats cause adv and standard english scale similar at the top end
adv has better alignment to get the mark in the first place tho

carrotsss

HSC
both advanced and standard english scale (almost) identically because they are aligned based on paper 1 results such that aligned marks are (more or less) interchangeable. this doesn’t mean that two of the same raw marks in both subjects translate to the same atar though, as scaryshark said advanced english aligns better because it’s harder

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
yeah I remember getting my atar last year and it definitely wasn't what I was expecting from my marks
best it better or worse than you thought?
cause 2022 had good scaling (like better then previous years) for your subjects so it should have been better

Interdice

HSC
from my testing it’s only off by 0.1 on average (usually above not below), but there are inherently some outliers that far away because there are multiple raw marks for each aligned mark, so there are multiple scaled marks and hence multiple atars for each aligned mark

and matrix underestimates by a lot and is pretty inconsistent, I would avoid it unless you need the ATAR->mark functionality because UAC ATAR compass is just more accurate
Are you so sure? I watched like 5 atar prediction videos 2020+ and looked at the 2021 atar thread and not uac and matrix BOTH overshot the atar by alot.

Like 2 points most the time

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
Are you so sure? I watched like 5 atar prediction videos 2020+ and looked at the 2021 atar thread and not uac and matrix BOTH overshot the atar by alot.

Like 2 points most the time

I tested with 2022 ATARs from BoS so my data was skewed towards the subjects a lot of people do on bos and how they tend to perform, it might be different for lower ATARs with different subjects/years though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)