Medical Science? (1 Viewer)

nutting

HSC
Medical Science degree ( 3 years)is not the same as Medicine degree ( typically 5 years) .

Medical Science allows you to work as a Lab Tech in a Pathology lab ....examining blood, urine ,stool and tissue samples. Also can become a techncian in a Hospital

It is a VERY lowly paid job. ....as there are too many Medical Science graduate every year...Some peopl take Medical Sc hoping to get into Medicine orPharmacy or Physiotherapy..but you relly need to get 99% before that's even possible

Med Sci grads get $30K for starting salary , compare to a office Admin receptionist who get $28K ...the diff is the Receptionist is 19 yo HSC grad with No HECS debt

The ceiling for Med Sci $50K that's when you get to lab manager

A Computer Science / Programmer ( 3 year degree) graduate makes $40-45K for stating salary ....in 3 years he shd be hitting $60K

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Uh. It's actually quite a well paying job, comparative to other graduates. Also you don't come out as a Lab Technician, thats the position available before you finish your degree. Once you finish, you're a Hospital Scientist.

Hospital Scientists employed by NSW Health graduate on $48,000 - $60,000 pa, with wage increases increasing by 4% for the next three years. That's not taking into account that it's usually shift work and there are call out rates (you get paid 4 hours at double time, even if you only go back in for 20 minutes).

Senior Scientists are on 70,000-90,000, depending again on shift work/call outs/penalties etc.

Lab Assistants however, people without degrees are only on about $38,000. I'll post the NSW Health wages up in a second.

Also MedSc grads arent limited to lab work.

edit: 99%? What are you talking about?

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
lol where the hell are you getting those figures.

I'm posting the NSW Health Award rates right now. You're getting Lab Techs and Hospital Scientists mixed up. Lab Techs don't have MedSc degrees, they have TAFE certificates.

Secondly, I highly doubt people do MedSc to get into Physiotherapy, considering NONE of the subjects match. You won't get any credits as far as I know, because first year Physios do Appendicular Anat and Phys, etc, and MedSc doesn't. MedSc also does Chem, Biochem, Microbio, Haem, Virology, etc, and none of those match with Physio.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
1st Year Hospital Scientist $883.40 a week
2nd Year $916.60 a week
3rd Year $973.00 a week
3rd Year $1,039.60 a week

8th Year $1,279.70 a week

That is for your basic hospital scientist wage.

Senior Hospital Scientists
1st Year $1,376.40 a week
2nd Year $1,422.50 a week

8th Year $1,821.20 a week

Principal Scientific Officer
1st Year $1,951.10 a week
2nd Year $1,999.80 a week

8th Year $2,408.50 a week

Trainee Scientist
1st year $477.90 a week
6th year $844.60 a week

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/resources/jobs/conditions/awards/pdf/hsu_he_profmed_salaries.pdf

Last edited:

nutting

HSC
KatieTully:

Hospital Scientist usually have a PHD not just a Bachelor in Med Sci.
The figures you give are probably correct , but what they didnt state is that Scientist = PHD
PHD means 8-9 years study after Secodary school...you start work when you are 26 years old !
There are many grades of Lab Tech...test tube cleaners only have TAFE....higher grades have a Med Sci degree

I have several friends with exactly that Med Sci 3 year degree and they all work at SDS Pathology ( a large comapny) ....they are the ones giving me this salary figures. Many say they wish they didn't take Medical Science if they knew then what they know now.
Most HSC people are not aware that some jobs simply dont pay well or have very dismal career prospects...Career Guidance Counsellors are often completely ignorant about this because they are NOT employment Agents who know better !

3. Salary Survey sites:
http://www.acpeople.com.au/cat/Life-Scientists_2113xj.htm ( Figures are for Average salaries ie. 5 years experience)
http://www.acpeople.com.au/cat/Medical-Scientists_2115xj.htm ( Figures are for Average salaries ie. 5 years experience)
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/career-resources/salary-centre/ ( No science though)

4. Med Sci degree will get you into the following:

a. Pathology lab technician
b. Research Assistant / technician
c. Hospital technician
d. Scientific Officer ( but NOT Scientist until you get MSc or PHD or DSc )
e stepping stone to Medicine
f. Stepping stone to Physiotherapy ( Med Sci teaches Anatomy, Physiology ...common to Physiotherapy course)

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
No they don't need a PhD, you miscreant.
I know this because I just did an Industry Report on the Pathology sector, which included interviewing Hospital Scientists.

I also know they dont, because, and this is a quote from the Hospital Scienist award -
3. Grading of Officers
(i) Grades: Every officer other than Trainee Hospital Scientist shall be classified in one of the grades of Hospital Scientist, Chief/Senior Hospital Scientist, or Principal Hospital Scientist as provided hereunder.

(ii) Years of Scale-
(a) Within each grade officers employed by any hospital shall, at all times be classified not lower than the year of scale corresponding to the minimum described hereunder for their respective qualifications and/or duties advanced by:
(1) At least one year of scale for each completed year of service in that grade and hospital; and
(2) At least one further year of scale for each completed year of service in the same branch of science in that grade in any other hospital or hospitals.
(b) In determining an officer's classification due allowance also shall be made for any post graduate experience.

(iii) Hospital Scientists who hold or are qualified to hold a degree, diploma or other qualification, as shown hereunder shall not be classified below the respective year of scale in this grade, as follows, with advancement as provided for in subclause (ii) of this clause.

Bachelor's Degree (3 year course) - 1st year;
Bachelor's Degree with Honours (3 year course); Bachelor's degree (4 year course) - 2nd year.
Bachelor's Degree with Honours (4 year course); diploma or Bachelor's degree with at least two years experience concurrent with or after the last two years of the course, - 3rd year.
Master's Degree - 4th year;
Fellow of the Institute of Physics, and/or Fellow of the Australian Institute of Physics, Degree of Doctor of Philosophy - 6th year.

I'll break that down for you. It means that when you graduate with just a 3 year degree, you start work as a Hospital Scientist, 1st year.
If you do Honours, you start as a Hospital Scientist, 2nd Year

Either your friends are liars/wrong, or you're horribly confused.

nutting

HSC
katie tully said:
No they don't need a PhD, you miscreant.
I know this because I just did an Industry Report on the Pathology sector, which included interviewing Hospital Scientists.

I also know they dont, because, and this is a quote from the Hospital Scienist award -
Step1: Go to www.seek.com.au ( Australia's largest job site)
Step2: Seach for " Medical Science" under Industry = Healthcare ...remeber to keep the " "
Step3: Count the number of result
Step4: Repeat for " Computer Science " or " Environmental Science" in the respective industry

"Medical Science"
http://seek.com.au/jobsearch/index....1&Keywords="Medical science"&searchtype=again

"Computer Science"
http://it.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...&Keywords="Computer+science"&searchtype=again
Now come to a scientific conclusion !

If you think you know more about this subject than people who are 25 yo and graduated with that degree...and already working...you may like to think again...perhaps actually try and MEET some of this peopl rather than relying on some obscure Govt report!

Are you trying to be rude with your 'miscreant' remark?
If so I will leave this thread and stop wasting my time trying to help you.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
nutting said:
Step1: Go to www.seek.com.au ( Australia's largest job site)
Step2: Seach for " Medical Science" under Industry = Healthcare ...remeber to keep the " "
Step3: Count the number of result
Step4: Repeat for " Computer Science " or " Environmental Science" in the respective industry
oh shit

katie why did you bother putting all that work into ur industry report

when all u had to do was go to seek.com.au and search for "Medical Science" under Industry = Healthcare, remembering to keep the " "

silly girl

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
perhaps actually try and MEET some of this peopl rather than relying on some obscure Govt report!
Obscure ... It's the NSW Health Award for Hospital Scientists, it's not obsecure because it's readily available on the NSW Health Website. It's more reliable than SEEK!

Holy crap, is this guy for real.

Secondly, if you read earlier, you would have seen that I have done an Industry Report on the Pathology sector, I know other Hospital Scientists and I know that you do not need a PhD to become a Hospital Scientist, nor does it pay $38,000

Last edited:

nutting

HSC
These are people I personally met and investigated

Computer Science Grad with 3-4 years experience ie. 24 yo
$75,000

Mechanical Engineer in Mining industry with 5yrs experience ie.29yo
$120,000

Accountant with 6 months experience ie 23yo
$45,000

Nurse with 3 years exp ie 25yo
$60,000 ( includes shift work)

Radiographer with 6months exp ie. 21yo
$48,000

Pathology Lab Scientific Officer (3yr Med Science degree) 2 years exp ie. 24yo
$32,000

Last edited:

nutting

HSC
katie tully said:
Obscure ... It's the NSW Health Award for Hospital Scientists, it's not obsecure because it's readily available on the NSW Health Website. It's more reliable than SEEK!
Are you an Ostrich?

SEEK is for real...it's where Employers find workers...it represents the REAL employment situation .
Most Aussies find work thru SEEK

Govt reports are THEORY.....SEEK is REALITY
Talk to some real people ( like I did ) and then WAKE UP!

You are so young and naive
Yeah you are really showing your MATURITY when you hurl racist insults when someone doesn't agree with you.
And your prejudice really shows, just because I speak up for International Students doesn't automatically make me one !
Perhaps you get some fresh air once in a while, the formaldehyde is messing with your cortex!

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Exphate said:
More than 10.5m Australians found work through seek?

Amazing.

Thank God I can get a public sector teaching job through seek!
Are you an ostrich?

Teacher is earn 38k, my friend have 4 year experience, i am 25 years old with medical degree

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
You are so young and naive
Yeah you are really showing your MATURITY when you hurl racist insults when someone doesn't agree with you.
And your prejudice really shows, just because I speak up for International Students doesn't automatically make me one !
Perhaps you get some fresh air once in a while, the formaldehyde is messing with your cortex!
a. Where did I hurl a racist insult at you.
b. You're an idiot. You have no idea. You are honestly trying to tell me that SEEK is more reliable than the NSW Award for Hospital Scientists. You don't even know what an Award is. You're trying to tell ME that the Award is a theory!

You clearly have no idea, wherever you're from, International or Australia, you're an embarrassment.

Last edited:

nutting

HSC
katie tully said:
a. Where did I hurl a racist insult at you.
b. You're an idiot. You have no idea. You are honestly trying to tell me that SEEK is more reliable than the NSW Award for Hospital Scientists.

You clearly have no idea, wherever you're from, International or Australia, you're an embarrassment.
You are racist when you said in the other thread "Why I hate International Students"

You think SEEK is less reliable than a Govt report ?
Me thinks you don't even understand what SEEK is about and why it is a $1 Billion company

BTW, Hey I got a bridge to sell you....it's really good.

Sorry if I am destroying your fantasy about a dream job after Medical Science....perhaps this is why you are angry.

Hey if you still want to do Med Sci...go ahead...no one said you cant get a job with it.

I only said for the same 3 years you can study something else and get a better paying job

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
NO! What frustrates me is that you're so horribly deluded and wrong and you're going around spewing facts that ARE NOT TRUE.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT AN AWARD IS. I don't even need to address SEEK, because you are so moronic, you keep refering to an Award as a 'theory', and you keep saying SEEK is more reliable. SEEK IS NOT MORE RELIABLE. THE AWARD SETS THE MINIMUM WAGE STANDARDS FOR HOSPITAL SCIENTISTS EMPLOYED IN NSW, FOR PUBLIC AND PRIVATE COMPANIES. Even if somebody finds a job through SEEK, WHEN THEY GAIN EMPLOYMENT THEY WILL BE PAID ACCORDING TO THE AWARD, FFS

I'm angry that you're perpetuating FALSE INFORMATION about a degree you know NOTHING ABOUT because you haven't even completed your HSC yet.

You keep using anecdotal evidence to try and substantiate your claims, BUT YOU'RE COMPLETELY WRONG AND IT'S AS FRUSTRATING AS ALL HELL.

I don't have a fantasy about a dream job after my degree, BECAUSE UNLIKE YOU I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Last edited:

nutting

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
So, what do we all think about Tibetan freedom?
What about Tibet?

I think China should get out of Tibet, right after all Europeans get out of Australia, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South America

Or the same rules don't apply?

nutting

HSC
KatieTully....you need a valium

Your arguments is based on hysteria and one govt report, whilst ignoring the real life situations.
The report does not indicate what the job demand is in comparison to other jobs.
I have offered concrete infomation by way of SEEK job Ads, ACNielsen salary surveys ( Largest market research group in Australia) and people who I actually know.
But in your hysteria,you have chosen to dismiss this

You must think you are know everything than me....in which case you don't need to talk to me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)