Medical Science? (1 Viewer)

shaon0

HSC
bump....anyone know want Medical Science is? what jobs you can get with it?

DTFM

HSC
shaon0 said:
bump....anyone know want Medical Science is? what jobs you can get with it?
You can work in hospital labs and stuff.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Do MedSc if you wish to work in hospitals for specimens preparation, diagnostic testing and analysis. You may also become a research assistant in labs from universities or research institutes. Some of my friends have became technical staff (which answers technical enquires from scienctists) with chemical and scientific product companies. You can become a sales representative for a company that promotes scientific products and equipments (because you need to have a good science background). You may also decide to stay in university and teach. Finally, BMedSc is an excellent degree to prepare you for postgraduate studies, like Masters and PhDs.

shaon0

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Do MedSc if you wish to work in hospitals for specimens preparation, diagnostic testing and analysis. You may also become a research assistant in labs from universities or research institutes. Some of my friends have became technical staff (which answers technical enquires from scienctists) with chemical and scientific product companies. You can become a sales representative for a company that promotes scientific products and equipments (because you need to have a good science background). You may also decide to stay in university and teach. Finally, BMedSc is an excellent degree to prepare you for postgraduate studies, like Masters and PhDs.
Ok thanks.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
I know a few people who are studying MedSci. Most of the students enrolled in the course are using it as a stepping stone to transfer to Pharmacy, Medicine, etc.

pottsy44

HSC
Survivor39 said:
You can become a sales representative for a company that promotes scientific products and equipments (because you need to have a good science background).
My sister did this, yes she has a BMedSc. Worst job ever! So she went back to uni and did her masters in secondary teaching.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
That's unfortunately. :( Why was this bad? I thought it would be a good career move for those who likes a commerce-type job with an interest in science. Although the company does put a lot of pressure on sales rep because there is so much competition from other companies.

jessi90

HSC
roughly how many ppl are enrolled in medical science at unsw each year?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi jessi90. There are approximately 180 newly-enrolled MedSc students each year.

pottsy44

HSC
Survivor39 said:
That's unfortunately. :( Why was this bad? I thought it would be a good career move for those who likes a commerce-type job with an interest in science. Although the company does put a lot of pressure on sales rep because there is so much competition from other companies.
well you dont really expect to get a sales job from this degree hey? lol.

she thought that she would be doing more research, however, all she did was update product details and take the odd sales call.

on the other hand one of my mates is also doing MedSc and is using it to leverage himself into medicine. so there is many possibilities.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
shaon0 said:
Does B.Medsc allow you to be a GP?
to be a GP
4-6 yr MBBS
1 yr intern and 2-3 year general practice registrar
then you will have ur FRACGP and then ull be allowed to be called a GP and get ur GP providers number

mimiian

HSC
People who do Medical Science are mostly people who got rejected by Medicine. I assume Med Sci will be fairly competitive since everyone wants to get good mark and transfer to Medicine.

doink

Clone
HSC
Way to generalise.

Alot of people in MedSci who want to do dentistry and post-grad med as well, its not only people who didnt get into undergrad med.

p.s. i dont do med sci

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
mimiian said:
People who do Medical Science are mostly people who got rejected by Medicine. I assume Med Sci will be fairly competitive since everyone wants to get good mark and transfer to Medicine.
Well not really, because as we've said time and time again, just because you get into MedSc does not mean you're going to get into medicine, whether it's a transfer or Post Grad.

People doing the degree because they think it's a quick way into medicine give me the shits, it doesn't work like that. And I would think if they actually knuckled down and did the degree, they'd find it's a great degree.

Secondly to whoever's sister was a sales rep. She didn't just magically poof into a sales rep. She had to apply or request the position, and even if she didn't want to be a sales rep, there are oodles and oodles of jobs out there for MedSc students that don't involve selling shit.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it's obviously better than doing education or arts if your aim is to get back into medicine. It's the next best thing you could do. Not saying it's a ticket to medicine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)