Medicine 😎 (1 Viewer)

quickoats

HSC
95%+ isn't high in UCAT among interview people. ATAR and UCAT both have a minimum cut-off. You must achieve above both cutoffs.
Isn’t it a “top down” sorta thing so if you get the bare minimum of both cutoffs you might not get an interview?

c8

HSC
I know, I was surprised too to find that the LOWEST non rural was 99.2 last year! Like what!
maybe due to COVID it may be marginally lower (98.8 might cut it)
I doubt covid would change anything considering unsw med is the most competitive degree. If it did, it probably would still not drop below 99 for general applicants

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
I doubt covid would change anything considering unsw med is the most competitive degree. If it did, it probably would still not drop below 99 for general applicants
Yeah 😂 wouldn’t want people to get their hopes up, hence the use of ‘may’ and ‘marginally’ đŸ€™đŸŒ

idkkdi

HSC
Isn’t it a “top down” sorta thing so if you get the bare minimum of both cutoffs you might not get an interview?
they probably have a system of going top down, and last yr they ended up at those two scores.

Time&moretime

HSC
The UCAT is seen as the first hurdle. You would need a certain percentile to get an interview; once you are invited, different medical schools have their own way of 'weighing' the interview score. For UNSW I believe it takes up 33% of the final score. Then they take the best 190 candidates. Saying that the 190 is made up of different types of candidates. Another example of it being arbitrary is Curtin where ATAR+UCAT+Interview is (40:20:40). But saying all of this, Covid-19 & Zoom interviews make it harder to guess the process of the selection. So a question like 'what my chances are in getting in?' is difficult to answer. I think anyone who wishes to apply must always have a 'Plan B', what to do if I don't get an offer. Also, I'm personally wary of 'Pre-med' courses offered by some universities but if anyone wishes to comment about 'Pre-med', please do so.

Yakult1

HSC
The UCAT is seen as the first hurdle. You would need a certain percentile to get an interview; once you are invited, different medical schools have their own way of 'weighing' the interview score. For UNSW I believe it takes up 33% of the final score. Then they take the best 190 candidates. Saying that the 190 is made up of different types of candidates. Another example of it being arbitrary is Curtin where ATAR+UCAT+Interview is (40:20:40). But saying all of this, Covid-19 & Zoom interviews make it harder to guess the process of the selection. So a question like 'what my chances are in getting in?' is difficult to answer. I think anyone who wishes to apply must always have a 'Plan B', what to do if I don't get an offer. Also, I'm personally wary of 'Pre-med' courses offered by some universities but if anyone wishes to comment about 'Pre-med', please do so.
How do they deal with International students who wish to pursue medicine? Do they have to sit the UCAT as well, or are they just assessed based on their own country's relevant medical school exam?

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
How do they deal with International students who wish to pursue medicine? Do they have to sit the UCAT as well, or are they just assessed based on their own country's relevant medical school exam?
They have to sit the UCAT as well, however out of the 190 I think there are 30 spots reserved for internationals only or something similar to that, I’m not sure of the exact number

Time&moretime

HSC
Pearson Vue delivers all kinds of tests including the UCAT ANZ & they are international. Some of the best scores come from students in India & Singapore which isn't surprising. Singaporeans sit for the Cambridge GCE A levels & taking a second language is compulsory over there. India has all-kinds of testing for government jobs, engineering etc. This is normal to them. Interested candidates then apply for the different medical schools with UCAT scores like what you do here. They are full-paying.

c8

HSC
I believe it is first UCAT and ATAR that is considered (hence why their interviews are not released until january) and then the interview. Then the final stage is ucat atar and interview weighted in the 33% you mentioned. Definitely agree with you on the 'pre-med' route, it's (in my opinion) absolutely useless yet always drags people in who think it somehow gives them an advantage to gaining a career in medicine or excelling in the degree.

c8

HSC
What is the best ucat course, medify, medentry or ICanMed (fairly new but seems good). Can someone please let me know I'm thinking of starting the course right now so I can around 97-99 percentile
Medify and medentry are the main ones and I know people who’ve done extremely well with both or either. Beyond those two just go with what suits you in terms of price, platform etc

c8

HSC
What is the best ucat course, medify, medentry or ICanMed (fairly new but seems good). Can someone please let me know I'm thinking of starting the course right now so I can around 97-99 percentile
Oh but in all honesty I think you need maybe a year max of prep, it probably doesnt hurt to start early in year 10 or whatever grade youre in but it’s a little futile when many people get 95+ with less than a year prep but depends on you

dumNerd

HSC
Oh but in all honesty I think you need maybe a year max of prep, it probably doesnt hurt to start early in year 10 or whatever grade youre in but it’s a little futile when many people get 95+ with less than a year prep but depends on you
Correct me if I'm wrong: more practice = better results especially for ucat

OrangeApple

HSC
I'm just gonna put it out there - although at this stage we can't really do anything more than what we have done to improve ATAR/UCAT scores - that 99+ atar and 95+ percentile ucat are not necessarily the absolute minimum requirement for UNSW med. There's a guy who got in with a <99 atar (albeit a very high 98) and 94th percentile ucat. This is someone I know who graduated in 2019, so don't lose hope ig. Anyway hsc/ucat finished so it is what it is rn
Edit: But yh if there's ppl seeing this from the 2021 hsc cohort, this isn't a green flag for u to take things too easy. Med is hard to get into, and 98 atar/94 ucat isn't easy. Work to the extent that you can and keep trying, hopefully u get in if thats whats best for u :). Also I might mention that u dont necessarily need tutoring/online packages to ace ucat. I know a person from last yr and a person this yr who did rlly well without buying any packages from medify, medentry, etc (instead just using free online resources). At the same time I know ppl who bought these things but didn't score well. And at the same time I know ppl who bought them and bloody smashed it - I'm saying INSANE scores and percentiles well above 99th percentile - and others who also received rlly high scores with these packages. I'm saying this becos I don't want ppl to think that u can't do well in ucat without purchasing smthn - ofc take it with a grain of salt, this is just what I've seen - but if u r ready to do so, go for it cos the vast majority of the ppl who did well are ppl who bought medentry, medify, iCanMed etc.

Last edited:

catha230

HSC
Pearson Vue delivers all kinds of tests including the UCAT ANZ & they are international. Some of the best scores come from students in India & Singapore which isn't surprising. Singaporeans sit for the Cambridge GCE A levels & taking a second language is compulsory over there. India has all-kinds of testing for government jobs, engineering etc. This is normal to them. Interested candidates then apply for the different medical schools with UCAT scores like what you do here. They are full-paying.
I'm pretty sure for internationals, they're supposed to take the ISAT, not the UCAT. Also one year of med for internationals is like 70k so after 7 years, it's like half a million Australian dollars, enough to buy a house. How insane that is!

quickoats

HSC
I'm pretty sure for internationals, they're supposed to take the ISAT, not the UCAT. Also one year of med for internationals is like 70k so after 7 years, it's like half a million Australian dollars, enough to buy a house. How insane that is!
Have you not heard of Bond University?

Time&moretime

HSC
Apologies, internationals is the ISAT. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)