Medicine 😎 (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
I'm just gonna put it out there - although at this stage we can't really do anything more than what we have done to improve ATAR/UCAT scores - that 99+ atar and 95+ percentile ucat are not necessarily the absolute minimum requirement for UNSW med. There's a guy who got in with a <99 atar (albeit a very high 98) and 94th percentile ucat. This is someone I know who graduated in 2019, so don't lose hope ig. Anyway hsc/ucat finished so it is what it is rn
Edit: But yh if there's ppl seeing this from the 2021 hsc cohort, this isn't a green flag for u to take things too easy. Med is hard to get into, and 98 atar/94 ucat isn't easy. Work to the extent that you can and keep trying, hopefully u get in if thats whats best for u :). Also I might mention that u dont necessarily need tutoring/online packages to ace ucat. I know a person from last yr and a person this yr who did rlly well without buying any packages from medify, medentry, etc (instead just using free online resources). At the same time I know ppl who bought these things but didn't score well. And at the same time I know ppl who bought them and bloody smashed it - I'm saying INSANE scores and percentiles well above 99th percentile - and others who also received rlly high scores with these packages. I'm saying this becos I don't want ppl to think that u can't do well in ucat without purchasing smthn - ofc take it with a grain of salt, this is just what I've seen - but if u r ready to do so, go for it cos the vast majority of the ppl who did well are ppl who bought medentry, medify, iCanMed etc.
did the dude get bonus points added to his ATAR for his selection rank? We mean selection rank.

Pretty sure the table earlier from UNSW showed that minimum Selection rank was 99.25.

catha230

HSC
Have you not heard of Bond University?
Hey, I heard of it prior to your post but all I knew was it was sort of a private uni. Upon looking it up, I realised that the fee is like 29k per semester and there are 14 semesters in total so the entire course costs around 400k which is still cheaper than other unis (for internationals). However, I'm not so sure if the info is for inters or domestic students or both...

quickoats

HSC
Hey, I heard of it prior to your post but all I knew was it was sort of a private uni. Upon looking it up, I realised that the fee is like 29k per semester and there are 14 semesters in total so the entire course costs around 400k which is still cheaper than other unis (for internationals). However, I'm not so sure if the info is for inters or domestic students or both...
There are 3 semesters per year so like 90k p.a.... not exactly the most accessible degree out there.

quickoats

HSC
Is this for domestic students?
Yep. It's private so they can charge whatever they like. If your parents have the money to afford it comfortably and you 100% want to be a doctor then go for it... but don't make them remortgage their house etc...

idkkdi

HSC
Yep. It's private so they can charge whatever they like. If your parents have the money to afford it comfortably and you 100% want to be a doctor then go for it... but don't make them remortgage their house etc...
might be worth remortgaging if u can actually become a doctor.
In America, they take massive loans and do just fine don't they?

quickoats

HSC
might be worth remortgaging if u can actually become a doctor.
In America, they take massive loans and do just fine don't they?
Doctors in the US are paid much higher and “match” right into a specialty after med school unlike Aussie grads who hang around the hospital for a couple years waiting and applying to specialty training so it’s not “instant cash” to pay it back (but still a very well paid job at the end of the day)

Remortgaging depends on the family dynamic I guess? 400k is a lot to draw back on the house and if your parents are a bit older (late 50s-60s) it might be hard for them to pay it back especially if they want to retire a bit earlier. Might be a “let’s sell the holiday house up the coast” sorta deal. If they’re midcareer in their 40s to 50s then they still have earning potential so definitely feasible. Could defs do this for 1 kid but if you have more that want to do med you’d have to make a Sophie’s choice.

Greninja340

HSC
Would it be possible to get into JMP with a 98.5ish ATAR and a UCAT score in the 95th percentile

c8

HSC
Would it be possible to get into JMP with a 98.5ish ATAR and a UCAT score in the 95th percentile
Atar doesn't matter so long as it is above the threshold (94 or something) but the 95th percentile ucat is typically enough

quickoats

HSC
How many possible med unis can you apply to including private just anywhere in Australia
As a year 12 you can apply to undergrad or undergrad/postgrad packages (but not purely postgrad). Note that some of the undergrad unis have "MD" which is just a naming convention - they are not really package as you can't GAMSAT into the MD portion.
These are:
UndergradAvailable in a package Post only
UTAS
Curtin
UAdel
JCU
Monash
UoN/UNE (JMP)
WSU/CSU (JPM)
UNSW
Bond
USyd
UniMelb (and La Trobe path)
UQld
UWA
Flinders (and Charles Darwin path)
Griffith (and Sunny Coast path)
ANU
Wollongong
Notre Dame (Syd and Perth)
Deakin

idkkdi

HSC
at that score csp is risky.

maybe check data, such as on, medstudentsonline. its on the lower side, and note bmp pays more than csp and mehbe some other differences.
but uon might not care about atar. not too sure though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)