• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Memorising Essays (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
If you don't know what the essay questions are, how do you memorise essays?
Exactly, no point trying to remember an essay and then try and adapt your essay question to a different focus question in the exam - you probably won't get good marks for doing that as you won't be answering the question properly.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
yeah you do.
unless they throw a weapon curveball at you, all questions can be answered with the same content, aka quotes+analysis. its just a matter of changing the argument of your essay mid-exam, which really isn't that hard if you know you're texts well.

AppleNader

HSC
Couldn't you just memorise key points and ideas and elaborate on them/ adjust your essay to fit the question during the exam?

I didn't actually read the posts in this thread so it's quite possible that this has been mentioned, so I'm just adding this for reinforcement.

24hrs

HSC
yeah you do.
unless they throw a weapon curveball at you, all questions can be answered with the same content, aka quotes+analysis. its just a matter of changing the argument of your essay mid-exam, which really isn't that hard if you know you're texts well.
QFT

I think for most responses (I would be VERY careful with module B) generic ideas, that cover most aspects of the rubric would be quite effective. However, in this context, knowing your texts *well* and how they relate to the module is still requisite for higher marks - otherwise, actually interpreting the question in relation to your texts, and adapting your argument accordingly may prove significantly more difficult.

Usually the best way to ensure a grounded understanding of the module and safeguard against exam-shock, is writing a couple of different essays to HSC questions (perhaps with different ideas). Thereafter, it's just a matter of practising them; writing for other HSC questions, trial questions, text types - create exam styled conditions that test your understanding, and capacity to improvise. Have your response marked, and learn from your inadequacies.

I don't necessarily think this approach is any less valid than the traditional on-the-spot response - it still requires hard work, understanding, and anlytical thought in adapting your argument. Of course, it may be un-necessary for those with greater confidence in their English skills, but for those who lack it (I don't mean ability, note the premise of my argument above), it's just a little safer.

NOTE: It is useless to memorise introductions and conclusions. This is another aspect of improvisation that must be acquired with understanding/practice.

Last edited:

ratcher0071

HSC
I wouldn't memorise essays. Once you get into the exam, you get a total blank, and then YOU CAN"T WRITE ANYTHING!!!!!

:uhoh:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
AppleNader said:
Couldn't you just memorise key points and ideas and elaborate on them/ adjust your essay to fit the question during the exam?

I didn't actually read the posts in this thread so it's quite possible that this has been mentioned, so I'm just adding this for reinforcement.
QFT. That's what I did in my Adv. English exam, and I believe I did quite well in it. Probably not for the topic sentences, but there were a plentiful of quotes, techniques, put my argument across. *fingers crossed*

jessiekg14

HSC
chew gum while you re-write your essay. no joke.

chewing gum = better blood flow in brain = better capacity to remember things

Real Madrid

HSC
I don't memorize essays.

Just go over the context of the topic and understand how techniques or topics in your essay parallel to your example.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
AppleNader said:

... this is called studying and most people do it?

Zephyrio

HSC
Alright everyone. Here's my view.

1. You need to memorise an essay for each English module. I'm not kidding. The best kids in the state who end up with 98 or 99 in advanced English memorise their essays, and I know one who I talk to quite often; he came 2nd in the state a few years ago, and said that he had a perfect 20/20 essay for each module at HSC time. He got 99. Another person I know got a state rank with 97. She also memorised her essays. This isn't coincidental.

HOWEVER, here's the trick. You need to make sure you're actually answering the question put to you. Here is where the top kids and the average kids get sorted out; the top students will find a neat and effective way of integrating the question into their essay. They will be flexible enough to adjust some of their essay; take some bits out, add other more pertinent examples. Their knowledge will extend beyond their prepared essay(s) such that when the time calls, this body of knowledge can be called upon when confronted with a hellish question.

Average students will walk in there with a prepared essay, but make no serious attempt to answer the question, OR just ignore it and write out their prepped essay. Needless to say, not good.

Don't be naive and think that you can write something of good quality in 40 minutes. Very few people can actually do that, and even smart kids need to think. You need to be prepared. Memorise your essays, but also memorise notes to complement your essays. It's the only thing to ensure that you will have something to fall on or to work with in an exam situation, where 40 minutes is a short time, even if you do know your stuff.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
Zephyrio said:

1. You need to memorise an essay for each English module. I'm not kidding. The best kids in the state who end up with 98 or 99 in advanced English memorise their essays, and I know one who I talk to quite often; he came 2nd in the state a few years ago, and said that he had a perfect 20/20 essay for each module at HSC time. He got 99. Another person I know got a state rank with 97. She also memorised her essays. This isn't coincidental.

HOWEVER, here's the trick. You need to make sure you're actually answering the question put to you. Here is where the top kids and the average kids get sorted out; the top students will find a neat and effective way of integrating the question into their essay. They will be flexible enough to adjust some of their essay; take some bits out, add other more pertinent examples. Their knowledge will extend beyond their prepared essay(s) such that when the time calls, this body of knowledge can be called upon when confronted with a hellish question.

Average students will walk in there with a prepared essay, but make no serious attempt to answer the question, OR just ignore it and write out their prepped essay. Needless to say, not good.

Don't be naive and think that you can write something of good quality in 40 minutes. Very few people can actually do that, and even smart kids need to think. You need to be prepared. Memorise your essays, but also memorise notes to complement your essays. It's the only thing to ensure that you will have something to fall on or to work with in an exam situation, where 40 minutes is a short time, even if you do know your stuff.
Those are some great tips Zeph, and I agree, you CANNOT write an even average piece without prior preparation.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
jessiekg14 said:
chew gum while you re-write your essay. no joke.

chewing gum = better blood flow in brain = better capacity to remember things
Does that actually work? I'm a compulsive gum-chewer, but I've never actually believed that to work. :p

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Aerath said:
Does that actually work? I'm a compulsive gum-chewer, but I've never actually believed that to work. :p
LOL chewing gum helps me concentrate and also helps me when I'm doing work... too bad gum's banned at my school - $35 fine and 3 afternoon detentions :(

I still try and chew it anyway :p

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
the-derivative said:
LOL chewing gum helps me concentrate and also helps me when I'm doing work... too bad gum's banned at my school - $35 fine and 3 afternoon detentions :(

I still try and chew it anyway :p
My school used to do that. Now they just make you scrape the chewing gum off the floor around the school.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Really? Can schools fine you? =\

SimonLee13

HSC
Zephyrio said:

This.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)