minimal study and pulling out with a mid 90? (1 Viewer)

alex09hsc

HSC
clearly not considering i generally /didnt/ care and i /did/ get that result

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Pretty sure I could get 95 with minimal effort (no arrogant). But most people can't, so they have to work. Other than that just consistent study should net you a decent UAI.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yes, study smart not hard.

Let's see what i did. I started assessments as soon as i got them. Just thought about what i had to do and systemic did it, leaving plenty of time to review my work. Handed up what i had done to teachers if they allowed it to get some feedback.

Uhh homework hmm. I looked at what they wanted me to do and if i felt that it was a waste of my time i didn't do it. If it seemed like it'd actually help me i did it - which was usually the case with maths although i usually ended up skipping a lot of questions XD

I determined which subjects i'd make notes for and which i would - only made notes for sciences + modern. The notes followed the syllabus and only had enough info for me to answer a 7 marker question if it came up. Notes were made in a group of friends that i trusted - we basically split of the workload and checked each other's work etc etc. Do note that i started these notes midway through term 3 so it was a bit of a rush :)

Did some past papers before the 1/2 yearlies (using by topic books) and before trials/HSC ^^

Other than that, i tried to pay attention in class but i found it a bit hard to do so, especially in english XD

I was aiming for ~99 ATAR though so i actually had to do some work (never did any work before yr 12 lol). If i only needed 95 however, i wouldn't have made the notes at all and wouldn't have done any past papers ebfore the 1/2 yearlies; but of course as duckcowhybrid not many people can do that so don't follow that plan :p

Last edited:

Eddykungfu

HSC
clearly not considering i generally /didnt/ care and i /did/ get that result
Click his name, read his messages and you'll see what his motives are, and how much people (don't)/(really don't) like him.

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
I didn't study rigorously like some other people but I did pay a lot of attention and also participated actively in class which I guess compensated for my lack of study. But to pull off a 96+ ATAR you would need to do much more work and study.

Last edited:
HSC
I haven't really read through the whole thread, so I'm sure someone has already said this, but the biggest thing that helped me was to play to your strengths subject wise. I'm best at english/history, and I was pretty good at PDHPE, so very good marks in those subjects made up for my not so great marks in Maths and Bio. If my marks there had been better, I'm sure I would have gotten to the 98-99 area.

But I know scaling is too big of a deal for others to take this advice.

bineal

HSC
People that say they did little study are bsing.
I worked like a dog all year mind you i kept a social life and went out alot woth mates and pulled a low 90. But to get 90's itself is difficult. You want a good mark you got to put effort in.
no its not

you're just stupid lolol

i didnt do one past paper and got 96.4

ronnie2151

HSC
i've heard a lot of people on BoS who have done minimal study and have managed to pull out amazing high 80s, low/mid 90s.
How do you all do it?
Studying smart vs. studying hard..
I've always wondered what ways they use to study..
Wanna share? Help the '10ers and '11ers lol =p
Listen it all comes down to yourself and what your capabilities are. For example i knew at the start of year 11 that i was not gonna do my work in class and do atleast an hours study every night. I did horribly in year 11 60s and 70s. come year 12 i thought to myself doesnt matter how u do it but u gotta get into the 90s. I still wasn't prepared to do my work in class and study everynight. My main strategy was to cram and cram like there was no tommorow. I remember two weeks before the trials i had not lifted a pen but then i started too get cracking. I put in 4-5 hrs a day studying for two weeks straight and my lowest score was 91. My point is study smart not hard. I never lifted a pen in class some times i did'nt even unpack my teachers and class mates talked behind my back acusing me of cheat ing and what not. Another thing i made sure i did was to listen to every word the teacher had to say not forget it when they lecture u. My point is that if ur capable of craming and can do it with out stressing out go for it. but if u cant make sure ur commited and think of it as u gotta learn the stuff no matter what it takes. Believe me its gonna be worth it when ur friends and family ask u about ur HSC. just my opinion

bineal

HSC
bdfjhfiojgrijfoj-p43jhfoh0e8fhjewfj

durk durk jihad

HSC
^ahh so you are saying to work harder in your strong subjects?
not neccessarily, i had to work harder in my weaker subjects so they wouldn't pull me down further. what i more meant was to pick subjects that you would be good at, although seeing as this is in the hsc forum that advice has probably come too late.

idk, i just see a lot of people telling others that they should do 4u maths/chem/physics because the scaling is good, when thats deviating time from areas that the person would neccessarily be stronger at.

Cowbell

HSC
Every person who has said anything along the lines of "Great success is only achieved by the hardest work and highest effort along the road" is... well.. simply wrong. I mean it's fine if you see it that way, and, yes, more study usually means a higher ATAR, but there are many people who can pretty much do whatever the fuck they want and pop out the end with a 95.
It's just the way some people are built. The most common case, I would say, would be the person who does ext1 maths, ext1 english, physics and chemistry. Maths and sciences require very little study if each concept is grasped quickly and thoroughly in class, and English is able to be nearly completely bullshitted on the spot with the capability of still achieving a good mark.

alex09hsc

HSC
Look guys, everyone is different.

I happen to be a genius so I didn't need much effort for my 97.25.

However, if you're not as smart as me, to get 90+ you will need lots of study.

But why aim for 90 if it's not needed.

alex09hsc

HSC
i have about 30 HSC help books........................about 20 are unused
should i sell these

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
lol i guess i am one of these people who barely worked and pulled out a good score (93.5).

There are certain tricks to get away with it like skimming over a whole years worth of work in a night.Knowing a little about alot. Being able to expand on what you know. This isnt for everyone. It requires great short term memory and the ability to do exams after 3 hours sleep... Also i guess you have to choose to prioritise your study what do you already know, what dont you know and what do you really need to know? Also try to go over those really difficult bits just before you walk in. In the morining make use of your time. Ignore everyone else and just learn something you never know it might be what the big marks are on...

At the end of the day this isnt really a substitute for proper thorough study. None of it sticks into the long term memory, and you get really stressy as you are not properly prepared and your result will not meet your full potential. This is only for those who dont really care about their mark, are lazy and disorganised. Plus if you have consecutive exams think of how you will feel after days of minimal sleep.

How to deal with sleep deprivation : I never really tried caffien or tablets. I found eating regularly while cramming just regular food kept me awake. I drank alot of juice which was quite sugary. I took a quick nap but make sure you wake with plenty of time before the exam to wake yourself up. Other than that adrenaline did the rest.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
thanks for the advice guys :)
im aiming for 95+ in each of my subjects.. got any tips on studying effectively for essay based subjects?
heaps of past papers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)