minimal study and pulling out with a mid 90? (1 Viewer)

alex09hsc

HSC
thanks for the advice guys :)
im aiming for 95+ in each of my subjects.. got any tips on studying effectively for essay based subjects?
heaps of past papers?

Use year 11 to perfect your essay writing for each subject.
Then put your new skill into use by practising past papers.
Get your teachers to mark your essays, get other teachers to mark it, get us on BOS to mark it.

Regarding essay based subjects it's basically about gaining the knowledge and skill to write a 22+/25 essay for legal or 18+/20 extended response for business.

For legal, basically 90% of what you should be doing is essay writing and making sure your syllabus dot points fit into the essays where they are needed...

95+ for each subject would get you 99.95 I'd say...so it's a big ask..

You're really gonna have to sit down for hours and hours, grasp the hundreds of dot points for each of your subjects, put then all into essays...........

Eddykungfu

HSC
I Totally recommend studying in a DIFFERENT ROOM to your main one (Without Access to computer, Mobile Phone, etc).

If Ipod/classical music is a distraction, leave this in the room to.

It will be hard to do, but as soon as you start studying, you'll keep going for a while.

Eddykungfu

HSC
I Totally recommend studying in a DIFFERENT ROOM to your main one (Without Access to computer, Mobile Phone, etc).

If Ipod/classical music is a distraction, leave this in the room to.

It will be hard to do, but as soon as you start studying, you'll keep going for a while.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I do homework/study and general work in my bedroom while signed into messenger, but I only check on random intervals with my status set to busy. I check websites on my breaks and moderate how often I do that.
I will continue to listen to music though, as it helps me study :)

You just need to find what works for you - I can manage distractions well enough.

speedofsound

HSC
no its not

you're just stupid lolol

i didnt do one past paper and got 96.4
says he with 34 posts

i agree with those that are saying that those people that are all "omg hell yer i did like NO work at ALL!!!11" are either lying or grossly exaggerating.

paddy_mac

HSC
Here's my advice.
- Do a year 12 subject in year 11. Even if you go shit at least you'll get some handy points. You don't necessarily have to do the year 11 subject before hand.
- Try to stick to your top 4 subjects. For me I stuck to my top 3 cause I did shit all in Chemistry and English Language (not a good idea, but I got away with it).
- Questions, questions, questions. But read the content first. Don't do the questions then try to learn it.
- Past papers (checkpoints) really help a lot. Check the answers after every paper or set amount of question and make sure you then know how to do them.
- Get an A5 book for every subject and write down all the questions you got wrong.
- Writing up cheat sheets (they actually help you learn, even if you don't use them). Not quite the same as a summary book because this forces you to write it all on two pages, not 20 pages in which no one could remember.
- Go to the public library to do work (after 13 years of school I only found out in the last term of year 12 that going to the library is the best option to do work)
- Put formulas into your calculator.
- In particular for Physics and Chemistry, subbing constants into the calculator as letters.
- When you're test is over a couple of days, with 5-10 minutes to go, go through the whole SAC (reading over it) and memorise which questions their are. If you can, put them on your calculator. That way you can answer them at home.
- If you have time, write down all your answers you've done for the first day and check with your friends what they had, or hear over what the smart people did. Trust me, everyone likes telling each other what they did.
- When you have tests that go over a certain amount of days, check the internet if some of the questions are on the test. (This actually happened in methods, couldn't believe it was there on the net, put answers on the calculator got 100% for the SAC). Also check your textbook as they're might be some of the questions on the test.
- When you're allowed to use your cheat sheet. Make sure it's detailed as possible, having everything there is to know on it. You might think it's hard to do on an A4 size but all you have to do is downsize the size of the page to the size of your hand and then glue it on piece by piece. You can fit about 12 pages on there. I put down the formulas, every page from the textbook and questions that i got wrong that have the right answers.
- Cramming can help. It worked for me. You don't have to do it on the last day before the sac (this was the case most of the time, hahaha) Just one day really cram one subject in.
- When you get to school, do some work before you start class. You'd be amazed how much you get done. Even work at recess or lunch. I usually worked at recess cause it was only 20 minutes so there was no point playing downball or whatever.
- Staying back after school for an hour is good to. It's so much better doing only 2 hours at night rather than doing 3 hours at night.
- Be prepared to work till 3am in the morning some days. The perfect student obviously shouldn't need to. It happened to me all the time, it's going to happen. Just work through it. If you don't like staying up, wake up at 4:30am. Believe me I did this too.
- Doing other subject work in a particular subject was something I did regularly, especially in chemistry and english language. Obviously sit at the back when you're doing this.
- Ask the teacher all the time what's going to be on the SAC. Write it down, don't try to remember what they said.
- Try to use your study periods, don't worry if you don't get much done cause i hardly did.
- Reading your textbook on the way to school before a SAC. Most people do this, but some that don't they think they know all of it, then they realise they were wrong on some things.

That's all I got, I'll write more if i can think of some others.

Last edited:

StephenM

HSC
In terms of getting an ATAR >90 , what is expected of 3u english and a combination of sciences chemistry and biology.
Hope this makes sense...

paddy_mac

HSC
How to deal with sleep deprivation : I found eating regularly while cramming just regular food kept me awake. Other than that adrenaline did the rest.
So true, always had a carrot in my hand, hahahaha.

Enchantress91

HSC
It really depends on the individual and the subjects one does. But I can tell you about my personal experience. I did easy peasy subjects (bus, legl, st.eng, gen.maths, PDHPE) and cramming worked wonders for me. Throughout the year, I hardly studied for more than 2 hours a day (I'm NOT joking). If I had tutoring that day I didn't study anymore afterwards that day.

When assignments come up, I'd usually start organising my info 2-3 days before the due date and on the last day I'd stay up all night to finish it off. With my assessments (mostly in-class essays or presentations) I'd finish writing my speech/ essay 2 days before hand and memorise the whole lot at school during my frees and time myself at home on the last day.

My family was quite convinced that I was going to fail miserably and mum was helping me to find a suitable TAFE course in case my ATAR falls below 60. So you can imagine what her reaction was like when she saw my final hsc results. Dad was so stoked too. Though he was in denial at first and thought that there must've been a mistake.

So it is possible (but risky) to succeed with absolute minimum study throughout the year. But in saying that, I did have an epiphany in the 2-week holiday before the hsc exam. I worked my butt out (6 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 weeks). So it's the last push that really counts.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
It really depends on the individual and the subjects one does. But I can tell you about my personal experience. I did easy peasy subjects (bus, legl, st.eng, gen.maths, PDHPE) and cramming worked wonders for me. Throughout the year, I hardly studied for more than 2 hours a day (I'm NOT joking). If I had tutoring that day I didn't study anymore afterwards that day.

When assignments come up, I'd usually start organising my info 2-3 days before the due date and on the last day I'd stay up all night to finish it off. With my assessments (mostly in-class essays or presentations) I'd finish writing my speech/ essay 2 days before hand and memorise the whole lot at school during my frees and time myself at home on the last day.

My family was quite convinced that I was going to fail miserably and mum was helping me to find a suitable TAFE course in case my ATAR falls below 60. So you can imagine what her reaction was like when she saw my final hsc results. Dad was so stoked too. Though he was in denial at first and thought that there must've been a mistake.

So it is possible (but risky) to succeed with absolute minimum study throughout the year. But in saying that, I did have an epiphany in the 2-week holiday before the hsc exam. I worked my butt out (6 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 weeks). So it's the last push that really counts.
thats really cool. what were your subject ranks, and what marks did you get, and what school did you go to? lol sorry overload of questions.
however much i cram within 2 weeks, i usually end up with a mid 70-80 :/
i guess its how effective you study, not how hard you study.. yep

Enchantress91

HSC
thats really cool. what were your subject ranks, and what marks did you get, and what school did you go to? lol sorry overload of questions.
however much i cram within 2 weeks, i usually end up with a mid 70-80 :/
i guess its how effective you study, not how hard you study.. yep
My subject ranks were:

Business.std - 3/36
English (st) - 1/60
Gen.Maths - 1/38
Legal.std - 1/25
PDHPE - 1/22

Subject marks:

Eng - 86
G.Mths - 96
Bus - 91
Legal - 90
PDH - 88

My school was ranked 300-ish in 2008. But I had fantastic teachers and most of them were HSC markers so they were able to shed some light on exam tips. With cramming, it only works for some subjects, not others. And a key to exam success particularly with Business studies and Legal studies is memorising the syllabus. Knowing what sub-topics come under a main concept. And that's what I spent a lot of my time on in the end and that really helped.

Eddykungfu

HSC
My subject ranks were:

Business.std - 3/36
English (st) - 1/60
Gen.Maths - 1/38
Legal.std - 1/25
PDHPE - 1/22

Subject marks:

Eng - 86
G.Mths - 96
Bus - 91
Legal - 90
PDH - 88

My school was ranked 300-ish in 2008. But I had fantastic teachers and most of them were HSC markers so they were able to shed some light on exam tips. With cramming, it only works for some subjects, not others. And a key to exam success particularly with Business studies and Legal studies is memorising the syllabus. Knowing what sub-topics come under a main concept. And that's what I spent a lot of my time on in the end and that really helped.
Were you dux?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I think I may qualify as one of these people.
Even a few days before the exams, I was only doing 3 hours of study a day, at most. I got 93.50 (which was right in the middle of the 92 - 95 range I was aiming for). Granted, my results weren't outstanding, but considering how relaxed I was about the entire exercise, I'd say they were pretty good.
I have no idea my secret was though.
I'd worked pretty consistantly all year long, so that probably helped. I didn't actually have to learn anything a week before the exam, only revise and remember it. I did about 2 hours of Math Ext 2 homework a day during the year, but that's only cos it's so demanding. I did virtually no other homework, just payed attention in class.
I chose hard subjects for my HSC, which probably helped push me.
I would purposely go to bed early before the exam and try to get 10 hours or so sleep. I also avoided taking it too seriously. Made sure I had plenty of relaxation time during the study break.
And, probably the most important method, I crammed like a motherfucker. I'd get up early and quickly revise all the content on the day/morning of the exam, mostly just to get in the mood for whatever exam it was, less than to learn the content.

Hope this helps.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
english is so damn subjective
every piece of writing has undergone criticism..
complete luck if you get a marker that approves of your style

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)