Modern history (1 Viewer)

kimvv

HSC
So I'm pretty sure we all have that completely open modern history assignment.

no question.
no real time period.
no region in the world.

one simple phrase - 'research what you are interested in'

well i do modern. i'm interested in a billion things yet i am completely lost for ideas.

so would anyone like to suggest some topics? it has to be from 1500 AD forward.

thanks.

K

khorne

World Wars? Cold War? Those are pretty done to death. Maybe the evolution of Europe?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Oh I hate those open ended things.
Give me structure please !
I don't do history so I can't really help you.. Do something that not many people will think of. Teachers would like innovation/uniqueness in something like this. I'd steer away from wars, go for something more obscure. But then thats harder to research.
GOodluck XD

HSC
N/A
i would suggest a war like the American or Spanish civil war, a couple of kids in my class did this and it seemed pretty intersting. i remember i did the munich massacre it was pretty good but meh it dosent really matter on what you do as long you enjoy it you will get a good mark.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
you could start with a person your interested in?
nelson mandela/che guevara/ hitler.
or perhaps a country?

we were given topics to pick from or we coud pick our own.
i'm dong the cuban revo.
heaps of people in my class are doing the black civil rights movement, holocaust, arab-israeli, tibet, tienanmen square etc etc, apartheid

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you want to get a head start, then do one of the topics you'll be doing for year 12 (if that's allowed) :p

If not, here are a few ideas that popped into my head:
  • Napoleonic Wars
  • 'The Terror' under Robesphere
  • The whole Tibet issue (if China was justified in annexing it) --> I did this :)
  • Che Gueverra and Fidel Castro
  • The Italy unification
  • The unification of Germany
  • Pol Pot and his impact on society etc
  • Margaret Thatcher
  • The suffragetes
  • The Witch hunts
  • The US civil war
  • Goebbel's role as Nazi propaganda minister --> I was going to do this for history extension but then i dropped XD
  • Hitler and the Nazis
  • The KKK

Good luck!

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
try to do something not too broad though. i'm assuming this will have an essay 1000-1500 words long, and you cant write a short essay like that on an incredibly broad topic. try to find either a person, place, or event within a relatively small time period that you can focus on. eg. instead of doing WWI, focus on a specific campaign, or general, or group of affected people or something of the like. having something specific will make it easier to research and clarify your ideas.

i personally did the munich massacre, because i was interested in the development of the olympic games as a social force, as well as terrorist groups prior to 2001

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad

no question.
no real time period.
no region in the world.

well i do modern. i'm interested in a billion things yet i am completely lost for ideas.

thanks.

OMG..I would absolutely LOVE this assignment..

how about the Renaissance (14th to the 17th century)???

If you really interested..

in Leonardo Da Vinci etc.. :)

Pigro

HSC
You could study Barack Obama's life and analyse the factors that led to him becoming the United States president. Then you could write a paragraph about the importance of his presidency for the future, if you like.

However, this is contemporary history. I don't study HSC modern history; is this allowed?

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
You could study Barack Obama's life and analyse the factors that led to him becoming the United States president. Then you could write a paragraph about the importance of his presidency for the future, if you like.

However, this is contemporary history. I don't study HSC modern history; is this allowed?
you generally need at least 20/25 years separation before it becomes 'history'.

Pigro

HSC
Barack Obama's career in politics is a part of contemporary history. That is, it is directly relevant to the modern era. His inauguration is not considered 'history' as it happened only last year. However, as history is a human creation (to our knowledge), the definition of what it is could change whenever historians choose, could it not?

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Barack Obama's career in politics is a part of contemporary history. That is, it is directly relevant to the modern era. His inauguration is not considered 'history' as it happened only last year. However, as history is a human creation (to our knowledge), the definition of what it is could change whenever historians choose, could it not?

His inauguration actually happened this year - less than 6 months ago - 20th January.

Personally I would do a topic that is further back than his election as it will take time to really get different viewpoints on it, including those that will be able to assess the election in light of what he is able to achieve as President.

As a Year 11 teacher I give my students strict time topic limits e.g. this year they have to do a personality who was prominent around the turn of the last century - tied to the Core Year 11 topic so I have (this year) Gottlieb Daimler, Monty Noble (the cricketer after whom the M A Noble stand at the SCG is named), a few politicians and kings etc. No Bismarck as we are studying him separately and definitely not anything that would be on any HSC course.

Bek93

HSC
I don't have an assignment like this?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't have an assignment like this?
If you are doing Modern or Ancient History you will have a research task - whether it is open ended is up to the teacher actually.

I make mine do a personality related to the period 1880 - 1920 to give them some direction in choosing their topics. (Ancient are doing aspects of Roman Britain).

So you would be doing it, will do it or might already have done it but it mightn't be worded in such a way that you are fully aware that it is the same as the OP is mentioning.

VK2FMCR

The One and Only..
HSC

no question.
no real time period.
no region in the world.

thanks.
I remember this. I did the 6 day war (Israel vs Arab Coalition)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)