More studying = more nerves? (1 Viewer)

yeah_boy

HSC
Does anyone else find that the more they prepare themselves for an exam, the more stressed out and nervous they become?

For my yearly exams, I did a few days prior a lot of revision on some of my subjects, and it stressed me out so much.. Going through textbooks made me think "Shit! I need to know so much more than I thought!" and I'd write up massive 15 - 20 page summaries and try to remember lots of facts, dates, info, quotes etc and I was so worried that I wouldn't remember anything, and that I'd fail.. I couldn't even sleep! And I'd wake up feeling physically ill, because of the exams.. And then once the exam was done, I'd realised that.. most of what I studied was in fact, irrelevant. And by my last couple exams, i was "over it", so I didn't really study, just did basic summaries, looked over book etc.. and I didn't really feel nervous, sick, and I could sleep well that night before..

Anybody else experience this too??

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
If you don't study, it probably means that you don't care about the subject and so you're less nervous.

hi 5! I couldn't sleep well before my Maths exam. had only around 4 hours of sleep... haha

Paradox.101

HSC
Yep it's so true.
But ironically, if I barely study for an upcoming exam I usually do fairly well.
If I cram, I end up with crappy results.

saberbladexx

HSC
NEVER NEVER EVER look over your textbook and revise before the exam. You will end up finding something you dont know, stress, forget what you do know and mess it all up.

Just do brief revision the day before, and in the morning listen to some music(Out loud not with earphones), it'll ease you're stress.

:D

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I crammed for these Yearlies and ended up with marks in the top 5. I studied slow and steady for the Half yearlies and had marks in the top 10..

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah, for me for maths, even though its my best subject and i probably do the most work on it, i do get nervous before the exams because i sorta HAVE to do well in a way, as if i didn't, then my studying would have gone to waste or something...

but if i didn't study, i wouldn't care as much how well i did, and wudn't be too disappointed with an "average" result and hence, wouldn't be as nervous.

HSC
If i dont study, that stresses me as I always think on what I would've missed out on so thats why i never not study. I study and once i get this feeling that I know everything I need to know, then I feel ready. I works as my last Maths test I got 93%

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Study will only constitute stress if you're in the mindset that you don't know enough about your subject. The whole point of Study is to know your material and to have practiced intepreting that material (so practice questions, improving your writing etc)

So If you know your material, and are good at intepreting then you need to do less study to get the same mark (but you should be still be studying hard and using your brain to its full advantage). If you don't pay attention in class, if you don't take advice about how to improve your writing to heart, If you don't work on the specific questions you struggle with for maths then of course you're going to subconsciously know that you're not prepared and what you're really doing in Studying is rote learning stuff you should already know... and hence making it harder on yourself... hence causing more stress for exams.

LordPc

HSC
if you study properly, and cover everything, then you will be confident because of your preparation, and therefore should feel relaxed and calm

nervousness = inadequate amount of study (which you know because you studied a bit, but didnt cover everything you wanted in as much detail as you wanted)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I used to get really nervous before exams to the point that i would throw up the morning of the exams, but nerves seem to bring the best out of me. I think its the same as timothy, i think that all my studying and everything leading to that point will be wasted with a mediocre result.

Mehae

HSC
LOL, for me its the exact opposite. if i do minimal or no study before an exam i ususally end up thinking about it long into the night. For my half yearlies i stuck to a good study plan and got thorugh all my content, i slept like a baby during those exams...lol:D

abckvv

HSC
if you prepare heapds last minute, u realise how much u don't know = more stressed

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Mmm, I get annoyed with people who say stress only comes from having not studied enough, or not paid enough attention in class...

I study a lot, and I agree with OP. The more I study the more I want to do well and the more I fear that all my hours will be wasted if I get a poor result.

hairspray

HSC
I find it when i study too much, i put pressure on myself to do well and therefore do bad (this only occurs for mathematics though). I remember back to my first ever preliminary exam (legal studies), i studied so much that i was so nervous and felt sick... i ended up getting 98% so i guess nerves can be a good thing.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
if you prepare heapds last minute, u realise how much u don't know = more stressed
Firstly, it takes 2 seconds to read over a post this length and check for any glaringly obvious errors like "heapds"...

You're also not typing on a mobile phone... the letter "u" can be preceeded with a "y" and an "o"...

"If you prepare a lot last minute, you realise how little you know of the topic, and are hence more stressed." Is what she was trying to say for all those that needed translating.

FTW

HSC
If i dont study, that stresses me as I always think on what I would've missed out on so thats why i never not study. I study and once i get this feeling that I know everything I need to know, then I feel ready. I works as my last Maths test I got 93%
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly the same thing happened for me!!
You even got the same mark...... 93% in maths...Freaky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)