Most Over-rated/Under-rated and the most Disappointing/Surprisingly good Games? (1 Viewer)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
1) Manhunt wasn't critically acclaimed or highly rated. It was considered an OK game.
stazi said:
2) To disapointing, doesn't the game need to have higher expectations for it? Everyone knew that 50 cent bulletproof was going to be shita
3) how is Halo surprisingly good? its well-known that it's good, I don't understand how someone could be surprised?
Yeah well, in relation to Manhunt it was given the green light for Xbox owners, and the media was all over it. Once I played the game I found it to be repetitive. True though, I guess it wasn't "critically acclaimed".

Dude, the question asked for a game I was most disappointed with, not you or the critics. :wave:

Just because it's well know doesn't necessarily mean one isn't surprised by it.

sirus said:
well what makes a good game for you then?

for me its about
storyline
multiplayer
stuff that i wish i could in irl, or just cool stuff in general e.g slowing down time in jedi knight 2
graphics
physics
a twist or a catch to the genre that makes it special, like warcraft3 when they brought the RPG ellement of heroes into an RTS environment and it worked well.
Good question!

For me it's about
Storyline
Combat
Graphics
Online play
Violent game play
The thing I don’t like though is when serious games become somewhat cartoonish, for example in Mortal Kombat they had BABALITY?

Last edited:

watkinzez

HSC
uhawww said:
I loved Wind Waker :eek:
Just an example. I liked it too. :)

runtlocks said:
Yep, stuck in the Factory where Pey'j gets caught, and it freezes at a certain point...:rolleyes::(
Heard of the former, but not the latter. Where did it freeze?

And again, if you think there are too many realistic games- not looking hard enough.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
On topic, Mortal Kombat is such an overrated franchise now. Production can get downright lazy at times, and the games have clearly been going downhill ever since they hit their peak with MKII. Shaolin Monks was a nice enough change, got quickly boring though.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
watkinzez said:
Just an example. I liked it too. :)

Heard of the former, but not the latter. Where did it freeze?

And again, if you think there are too many realistic games- not looking hard enough.
When you find that agent that you save, theres a little cut scene where he says not to worry and he'll find his own way out then the screen goes black and stays black.

That whole bit was a bit iffy, though. I didn't know where to go, got a little frustrated and ended up shooting one of the guards with that pink gyro thing. Pey'j ended up getting caught, I thought it was game over, but nope, it kept going.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
runtlocks said:
On topic, Mortal Kombat is such an overrated franchise now. Production can get downright lazy at times, and the games have clearly been going downhill ever since they hit their peak with MKII. Shaolin Monks was a nice enough change, got quickly boring though.

Yeah true, I agree. I suppose I'm tangled within the story line; the concept of fearless emperors and "Thunder Gods", I find very intriguing.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Storyline and gameplay are the most important things, then graphics and sound. But ideally I want it all. I'll be lying if I said graphics aren't that important.

About videogame realism. I don't think a game has to be realistic to be good. Main reason I play games is because i'm doing something I can't do in real life. In terms of graphics, I wouldn't want to play a real-life looking Link (he would look ugly!), or a real-life looking human in DOA.

About Beyond Good or Evil. I've heard about that game a fair bit. Might put it on my buy list as it sounds good.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yeah but it's great when the humans in DOA have so many polygons and their hair flows through the wind, the backgrounds are stunning, etc. They don't necessarily have to look like humans, but it adds to the experience when you have amazingly-rendered unrealistic-looking humans.

Demandred

HSC
Most overrated: Freelancer/Duke Nukem forever... eeiiish..

Most underrated: Longest Journey + Dreamfall

Disappointing: Maybe quake 4, I really though those masters at id would come up with something revolutionary... instead i got a highly polished mediocore game. oh yea.. need for speed carbon = craptastic.

Surprisingly: Devil may cry 3 special edition on PC. I usually ports where big stuff ups.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
How can Duke Nukem forever be overrated if it's not out?
Also, Longest Journey IS dreamfall, i.e. Dreamfall: the Longest Journey. (I really want to play this soooo much)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Yeah but it's great when the humans in DOA have so many polygons and their hair flows through the wind, the backgrounds are stunning, etc. They don't necessarily have to look like humans, but it adds to the experience when you have amazingly-rendered unrealistic-looking humans.
I was thinking of realism in a different (perhaps limited) way. Your right, that stuff is hot and worth doing. I meant realism as in realistic looking humans, but ultra-amazing unrealistic-looking humans in terms of more polygons, lighting, hair-movement, body movement is groovy stuff. Same with link. Link with more than stubby hands (i.e. n64) is something I want to see too.

Demandred

HSC
stazi said:
How can Duke Nukem forever be overrated if it's not out?
Also, Longest Journey IS dreamfall, i.e. Dreamfall: the Longest Journey. (I really want to play this soooo much)

Okay, fair enough about Duke. Atm, I think it takes the cake as being the game with the longest development time... I wouldn't be surprised if they scrap the Unreal III engine and adopt a Unreal XXIII engine some time later this year....

The Longest Journey (released in 1999) and the sequal Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (released in 2006).

:)

Bank$

HSC
Marvel superheros vs StreetFighter

made in early 1990's and still played

LEGEND

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I found Final Fantasy XII to be quite under-rated. Sure, it's an FF game and it got a perfect 40/40 score from Japan's notoriously hard-to-please Fumitsu magazine, but a lot of reviews slammed the central gameplay system, accusing it of "playing itself" and the political plot as opposed to saving-the-world. In truth, I found the gameplay system of programming characters to take certain actions to be increibly useful, even if I never mastered it in the brief time I had rented the game (didn't want to shell out $100 and find the reviews were true), and the plot to be incredibly mature. Even the world itself looked better than the cartoon colours of Spira in Final Fantasy X.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
The average reviewer rating of 92.3% for FFXII suggests it can not possible be under-rated. Because some reviewers believe that it has a flaw in it, whilst everything else is perfect, doesn't mean that it's under-rated.

We should make a rule: games that get about 80% average in their reviews can't be overrated, only surprisingly good.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Perhaps "mis-rated" would be a better term for FFXII. Sure, it has high user-ratings, but there's also a lot of people who think it diverged too far from the series or whatever. I guess my definition of under-rated was relative to other games in the series. My bad.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
ALL 3D Sonic games are absolute tripe. The ones on Dreamcast were ridiculously overrated, especially by IGN, but they tend to overrate everything, so whatever really

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Any of the Pokemon games are overrated, so are the Disney-made-from-movie ones.

Tetris is somewhat underrated I guess.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
m0ofin said:
Any of the Pokemon games are overrated, so are the Disney-made-from-movie ones.

Tetris is somewhat underrated I guess.
I wouldn't say that the first generation (blue/red) was overrated.

burgomcsock

HSC
Most overated (well more overhyped) and disappointing game in my oppion; so much wasted potential.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)