MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

onur91

HSC
N/A
Would someone who did general maths for their HSC and rarely got over 75%, find the level of maths required for economics and finance highly difficult?
Depends on your strong points. You'll be doing ACST101, so how were you with Annuities? If you sucked at them, you might have some trouble with that unit. But you can always get assistance through PAL, on campus.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on your strong points. You'll be doing ACST101, so how were you with Annuities? If you sucked at them, you might have some trouble with that unit. But you can always get assistance through PAL, on campus.
Oh lord ...

LonelyWolf

HSC
Would I have an enormous workload and difficulty keeping up with, if I did B Arts (24cp worth = International business, Politics and international relations and anthropology) and B Commerce (24cp worth = Finance and Human resources) ?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Would I have an enormous workload and difficulty keeping up with, if I did B Arts (24cp worth = International business, Politics and international relations and anthropology) and B Commerce (24cp worth = Finance and Human resources) ?
There's actually a degree with it, so no I don't think you would, dependent on how you structured your degree. I think you'd be looking at 4 years if you don't want to kill yourself:

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/...+Arts+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Commerce

FTW

HSC
Is it unusual to study your people and/or planet unit is your first year? At the moment I have 4 units but few contact hours, so I was thinking of doing my people unit now and free up space later in my degree. Is this a good idea?

Also how do electives work. Are electives any unit you wish to do? Or does your degree force you to do specific electives. As in, if I am doing Actuarial Studies, can I pick an elective that is a language, or does it have to be in the business faculty?

LonelyWolf

HSC
There's actually a degree with it, so no I don't think you would, dependent on how you structured your degree. I think you'd be looking at 4 years if you don't want to kill yourself:

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/...+Arts+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Commerce
Yeah that's the one I'm doing. I'm just worried that whilst I am doing commerce, what I am studying in Arts is just EVEN MORE commerce and nothing 'lighter'. Do you think so?

Also, say if I did human resources in a B of Arts and I transferred to B of Com (human resources) would I save time?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Is it unusual to study your people and/or planet unit is your first year? At the moment I have 4 units but few contact hours, so I was thinking of doing my people unit now and free up space later in my degree. Is this a good idea?

Also how do electives work. Are electives any unit you wish to do? Or does your degree force you to do specific electives. As in, if I am doing Actuarial Studies, can I pick an elective that is a language, or does it have to be in the business faculty?
Nope not unusual at all. I did my people unit in my first semester.

If it's just a normal elective, in most situations you should be able to choose almost anything to study.

Kittenslayer

HSC
im doing ebusiness , theres 7 three credit subjects to choose from in the 100 level (also one says either (subject) or (subject) )
how many of them do i pick for semester 1

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah that's the one I'm doing. I'm just worried that whilst I am doing commerce, what I am studying in Arts is just EVEN MORE commerce and nothing 'lighter'. Do you think so?

Also, say if I did human resources in a B of Arts and I transferred to B of Com (human resources) would I save time?
Depends on what you want to do I guess, if the eventual aim is to do the Com HR then yeah it would save time. The thing with an Arts degree is that its open enough so you can really major in anything, so its not like you'll be doing 'too much'. It'd be like doing a really focused single degree anyway. Remember it's not really going to matter all that much that you need 24 cp / 24 cp for the two degrees, since you'll most likely only ever tackle 4 subjects a semester anyway.

Salliea

HSC
Hmm >w> This is probably one of the more useless question... But :p
Would the chances of getting into your preferred class time be higher if you submit your timetable in earlier? LOL :haha: My high school teachers used that to threaten us to submit our subject selection forms earlier xD

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to make my timetable and have been looking at my preferred units and their times.

There is a column that says 'teaching staff' alongside certain times. However, as I have been looking through, some boxes don't have a teacher's name inside the 'teaching staff' box.

Some times are just blank. Does that mean that there is no teacher teaching in this time slot?

As well as this, other boxes have 'ZZ-Casual etc" in the teaching staff box. Does that mean its a casual teacher or something?

I only ask this because there are only a few boxes where I actually can see 'proper names', such as 'David Gray'. But otherwise the rest of the boxes under this heading is either blank or has some cryptic 'ZZ casual' beneath it. Thus I'm worried I may pick a class that doesn't actually exist or has no teacher at all, lol.

Please help! Thanks alot guys :)

rayy_bann

HSC
Would the chances of getting into your preferred class time be higher if you submit your timetable in earlier? LOL :haha: My high school teachers used that to threaten us to submit our subject selection forms earlier xD
As a first year, I don't really know 100% but I would 'assume' so. Generally most timetables and subject selections work on a demand and supply basis. But please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not entirely sure. I say this because I've seen in some part of Macquarie uni's site that they will some how accomodate you if you don't have your desired time. This, or I may have just been seeing things.

Regardless, I think its in your best interest to get everything prepared, in terms of your units and your preferred times so that you will be readily prepared during enrolment day and won't have to spend a long time picking time slots that will be favourable to your life. Speaking of which, you should have already booked an 'enrolment day' on the site. This is a compulsary day in where (as I said) you will have to enrol with your units. However there are a few spots remaining for the most earliest time you can enrol, so I guess you better start working on it if you haven't already done so :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
For first years, the earlier you attend your 'Compulsory Enrolment and Academic Advice' session, the better chance you have of getting your preferred class times. This is why it's important to have 'back up' times in case your preferred times are full. For the rest of us, it's whoever can log into e-student the fastest on the 31st.

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to make my timetable and have been looking at my preferred units and their times.

There is a column that says 'teaching staff' alongside certain times. However, as I have been looking through, some boxes don't have a teacher's name inside the 'teaching staff' box.

Some times are just blank. Does that mean that there is no teacher teaching in this time slot?

As well as this, other boxes have 'ZZ-Casual etc" in the teaching staff box. Does that mean its a casual teacher or something?

I only ask this because there are only a few boxes where I actually can see 'proper names', such as 'David Gray'. But otherwise the rest of the boxes under this heading is either blank or has some cryptic 'ZZ casual' beneath it. Thus I'm worried I may pick a class that doesn't actually exist or has no teacher at all, lol.

Please help! Thanks alot guys :)
If you pick 'Grid' instead of 'List' form, the timetable is much easier to understand. Don't stress about the 'teaching staff' thing, if a class time is listed in the timetable, it will have a lecturer or tutor taking it.

Last edited:

Salliea

HSC
For first years, the earlier you attend your 'Compulsory Enrolment and Academic Advice' session, the better chance you have of getting your preferred class times.
I just realized this when I was helping my friend enroll, but we have different EPS days (O_O) Would this be because we're in different faculties?

This is why it's important to have 'back up' times in case your preferred times are full. For the rest of us, it's whoever can log into e-student the fastest on the 31st.
Lol, it'll be like logging into UAC all over again xD :lol:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Ah i see. Who knows why you're on different days, could be different faculties, could be according to student number etc. It doesn't really matter.

LonelyWolf

HSC
fuck lol. are we picking what we're doing for the first year or first semester?

sean1990

HSC
I was thinking of starting a thread with all units on it to allow people to leave feedback on how hard units were, and what the teaching was like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)