MQ Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

mrstripedshades

HSC
Joining macquarie 2018 for actuarial and finance :)

Are lectures recorded at macquarie and are there many societies?
Nice!

Lectures are generally recorded from my experience with first year business faculty subjects, though there may be a delay in some cases. Some lecture are live streamed but its rare, and for me its more convenient to catch up on them anyway. As far as I know, though this may be different for some Actuarial units, no first year commerce units had compulsory lectures for me (which is why I would select the online streaming one lol, after all you can still attend the lecture if you want to).

There are societies, though I personally havent been involved with them much in first year, I definitely intend to next year. Accounting Students Association seemed to have a lot of events that were useful throughout the year. MUBS has a lot of social events, but I haven't really heard of any informative events or something like that from them.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Joining macquarie 2018 for actuarial and finance :)

Are lectures recorded at macquarie and are there many societies?
All subjects I've been in have recorded the lectures. If a lecture doesn't have an i-lecture option, then they don't have to record to all elements so you may miss out.

There are a fair few societies, but not as many as UNSW or USYD in my view.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
You can change units right up until the Census date, which is a few weeks into semester.

If you haven't already seen, this is your handbook for your degree. http://handbook.mq.edu.au/2018/Degr...r+of+Arts+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Laws

The handbook tells you all the units you are required to take or choose from, and also sets out other requirements (such as you must complete a major in full, you must have a certain number of credit points at a 200 level or above etc.)

Now i'm guessing you are trying to enrol in either Laws108 or Laws104. These both have Laws115 as a prerequisite. So in your first semester, you should enrol into Laws115 in order to do these two later. Seeing if something has a prereq is really easy on the handbook page. Either hover over the unit name, or you can click into it.

Prerequisites: must be completed before you can enrol into a unit
Corequisites: mean you can take the unit and its matching one at the same time
NCCW(s): Mean you can not take the unit you are looking at and the one that is listed there. Essentially they are either old versions of a unit, or the content is too similar.

Anyway as I said, you can continue changing units right up until. In eStudent go to "My Enrolment" and select "Withdraw from Units" on the left hand side. Then you can go back to "Enrol in Units" and choose what you want.

Finally, you need to attend both lecturers AND tutorials/practicals. Usually you will be forced to select at least one of each. Some units will have multiple different lectures and tutorials a week, in which case you will be prompted to select more. If you hover over a specific lecture or tutorial, it will highlight any that are the same. There is also a little counter at the top that will say 3/4 classes enrolled or something similar.

Some classes will have attendance requirements (These are set out in the unit guides, but those haven't been released yet). You may not have to attend lectures, but you may need to attend at least 8/11 tutorials for instance.
On point with the advice front! Amazing :)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
What does "U live streaming" mean for timetable?
One of my friends did this option, and just stayed in the library watching the lecture at the same time as I was viewing it live rather then walking to the Y building.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
What degree are you doing? There aren't a lot of degrees that force you into electives semester 1, so maybe we can put you into the right track!

A lecture is held in a theatre. Generally, there are a few hundred people. The lecturer generally presents slides which usually the content for that week. You make notes and listen. Some times they'll ask students to participate, other times they may not.

A tutorial is a small class of no more than 30 people. Your taught by a tutor (who may or may not also be your lecturer), and you'll either be given questions to do, have to go through homework or readings nyou did beforehand, or maybe even have a discussion.

You may also come across practical classes later in your degree. These usually revolve around use of a computer lab or science facilities, and as the name implies, do practical things.
I've had a look at Orwell's program he looks fairly pigeon holed with regards to his subject choices first semester.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
@ilikecats I hope afas200 is treating you well.
I really believe that you deserve to graduate next year!

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Current place I'm working at is looking for a junior/intermediate insolvency accountant. Anyone interested or know anyone interested please let me know. They have A LOT of work on and need someone ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
@ilikecats I hope afas200 is treating you well.
I really believe that you deserve to graduate next year!
Lol I just got an email:

"We have placed a sanction of Academic Caution onto your studies, as you were unable to pass more than half of your enrolled units in Session 2."

I'm like, I only did 2 subjects?

The annoying part is the FoBE wants we to access all this extra support stuff and I really don't want to

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol I just got an email:

"We have placed a sanction of Academic Caution onto your studies, as you were unable to pass more than half of your enrolled units in Session 2."

I'm like, I only did 2 subjects?

The annoying part is the FoBE wants we to access all this extra support stuff and I really don't want to
Maths is obviously not their strong point. If you only do two subjects, and pass one you obviously have passed at least half your subjects!
Oh I don't think you really need extra help to complete AFAS200 :/ You've obviously done more complicated subjects before.

Good luck with convincing them ;(

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Just wondering the Principles of Macroeconomics book, the unit guide says 4th edition, but I've also seen a 5th and 6th edition with seemingly different authors (2 authors are the same) so not sure if I'm allowed to use those...

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering the Principles of Macroeconomics book, the unit guide says 4th edition, but I've also seen a 5th and 6th edition with seemingly different authors (2 authors are the same) so not sure if I'm allowed to use those...
The unit guides and textbooks for next year haven't been released so we can't tell you what version is correct.

As a general rule, you'll want the version they state, unless they say an older version is fine. You'll find content is usually in different orders, and questions within books will be different. In accounting units for example, I would not recommend anything except the current version as they use the textbook heavily.

In terms of buying textbooks:

The coop will be the first place to list books.
https://www.coop.com.au/textbook/search/macquarie-university/1801
Here you can search for your unit and see what book and version is needed well before the unit guide is released.

Then go into sites like textbook exchange or the MQ textbook swap Facebook pages to see if you can find that version cheaper.

Two tips with textbooks:
If your buying new, buy online and get them shipped to you or do click and collect BEFORE semester starts. The queues become ridiculous the first two weeks. If it's a digital edition you'll get to skip all that, but be cautious as they aren't the most user friendly things.

I know some people wait until semester starts to seeing they actually need to buy a book. Just know sometimes books sell out and they back.order them. It takes a very long time for books to show up when this happens.

HSC
N/A
i concur with the advice from ilikecats...

Pika it seems like you'd like to get a head start on reading during the break; I'd recommend emailing the lecturer listed in the archived Unit Guide from 2017 and asking their opinion on particular textbooks. Assuming they're still at work, you should hopefully receive a helpful reply. It's worth noting, as above, that next semesters 2018 Unit Guides don't become 'alive' or active, sometimes as late as first day of the semester; its a tragedy!
If you have your MQ id and card already, you can always visit the library and browse the differing books and borrow a few. The editions that become compulsory for the 2018 unit will eventually get recalled and put in the reference only section. :)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
i concur with the advice from ilikecats...

Pika it seems like you'd like to get a head start on reading during the break; I'd recommend emailing the lecturer listed in the archived Unit Guide from 2017 and asking their opinion on particular textbooks. Assuming they're still at work, you should hopefully receive a helpful reply. It's worth noting, as above, that next semesters 2018 Unit Guides don't become 'alive' or active, sometimes as late as first day of the semester; its a tragedy!
If you have your MQ id and card already, you can always visit the library and browse the differing books and borrow a few. The editions that become compulsory for the 2018 unit will eventually get recalled and put in the reference only section. :)
I mean I have high hopes for ECON110 given that iLearn is already "live"

Orwell

HSC
You can change units right up until the Census date, which is a few weeks into semester.

If you haven't already seen, this is your handbook for your degree. http://handbook.mq.edu.au/2018/Degr...r+of+Arts+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Laws

The handbook tells you all the units you are required to take or choose from, and also sets out other requirements (such as you must complete a major in full, you must have a certain number of credit points at a 200 level or above etc.)

Now i'm guessing you are trying to enrol in either Laws108 or Laws104. These both have Laws115 as a prerequisite. So in your first semester, you should enrol into Laws115 in order to do these two later. Seeing if something has a prereq is really easy on the handbook page. Either hover over the unit name, or you can click into it.

Prerequisites: must be completed before you can enrol into a unit
Corequisites: mean you can take the unit and its matching one at the same time
NCCW(s): Mean you can not take the unit you are looking at and the one that is listed there. Essentially they are either old versions of a unit, or the content is too similar.

Anyway as I said, you can continue changing units right up until. In eStudent go to "My Enrolment" and select "Withdraw from Units" on the left hand side. Then you can go back to "Enrol in Units" and choose what you want.

Finally, you need to attend both lecturers AND tutorials/practicals. Usually you will be forced to select at least one of each. Some units will have multiple different lectures and tutorials a week, in which case you will be prompted to select more. If you hover over a specific lecture or tutorial, it will highlight any that are the same. There is also a little counter at the top that will say 3/4 classes enrolled or something similar.

Some classes will have attendance requirements (These are set out in the unit guides, but those haven't been released yet). You may not have to attend lectures, but you may need to attend at least 8/11 tutorials for instance.
Hey man, thanks for the advice but I'm still unsure about unit selection.

I'm doing POL 108, LAW 115 in the first session so that I can do POL 107, LAW 109, LAWS 104, LAWS 108 in the second (the latter three requiring LAW 115 in the first). However, there isn't any law units I can use to fill up unit requirements in the first session, I'm willing to do LEX 108 (planet unit), in the first session but that still leaves me with a missing unit and when I try and fill it up with stuff like LAW 216 (etc...), it obviously doesn't allow me to enrol.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Is your other major Politics? Sorry I haven't seen what it is yet.

Orwell

HSC
Yeah, Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts majoring in Politics.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
So I would do:

Semester 1: Pol101, Pol108, Laws115 and Lex108 as your elective/planet unit
Semester 2 is then as you listed: laws109, laws114, laws108, pol107

Is Pol101 not showing up as a choice for you?

Otherwise, I'd put your planet unit in there. It sucks to use people/planet up so soon, but that's the only thing I can see.

Orwell

HSC
It's not that it doesn't show up, it's that I can only select two units from the politics section at a time:

The only way I can fill out my unit enrolment in such a way as you've suggested is by foregoing session 2 enrolment due to the inability to select POL 107. If I do choose to do this, once session 2 comes around will I be able to fill it out the way you have suggested or will I still be unable to select POL 107?

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay so i went back though your whole degree structure (yay excel!)

You currently have the following according to your handbook:
18CP / 6 subjects at 100 level
30CP / 10 subjects at 200 levels
48CP / 16 subjects at 300 level

Looking at the requirments you've met:
Minimum 200 level or higher
Minimum 300 level or higher
Minimum of 48cp in Law units
No more than 42cp at 100 level

That gives you 96CP total. You need 120 total. That means you have 24CP / 8 elective classes.

Of those 8:
-Up to 6 can be 100 level (You could take 8 subjects at 200 level or 300 level if you wished, there is no maximum for these)
-2 of these need to be your people and planet units

Basically, there should be somewhere on your planner page allowing you to pick electives. And yes, you can pick Pol101 without any issues despite it not allowing it in this particular section.

I've done all the units listed under a "pick 6cp" from this way :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)