MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

mrstripedshades

HSC
Im doing first year marketing, econ204, accg200 and acst201

Btw for those that were interested, though its prob too late for this sem. My friend was able to transfer into UNSW comm with a high credit average, take that as u will.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Im doing first year marketing, econ204, accg200 and acst201

Btw for those that were interested, though its prob too late for this sem. My friend was able to transfer into UNSW comm with a high credit average, take that as u will.
Doesn't he have to do an extra year since the credit transfers aren't as generous?

I've been considering it but the extra year + almost triple the commute time didn't seem worth it.

mrstripedshades

HSC
Doesn't he have to do an extra year since the credit transfers aren't as generous?

I've been considering it but the extra year + almost triple the commute time didn't seem worth it.
dunno didnt ask him, but I assumed something similar. And I agree, the commute is the real dealbreaker for me (always has been, and to an extent a lack of diversity) but its not that bad for him.

For Usyd, I always hated its atmosphere, and never had any interest going there. So really UTS and Maq were my only realistic options and it stays that way.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Mate actuarial is better at mq plus mq closer nty unsw and I got a hd avg. Also mq isn't a g8 uni so that's why the credit transfer doesn't work out...

If you guys need any help with any finance/acst lemme know that way when I have to write an essay you guys can help me out :)

Last edited:

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
ACST201 looks interesting but STAT150 is said as a prerequisite (or only ACST101?), both of you have done STAT150 right?

It seems more like you have to have done one of them but probably better if you've done both.

Last edited:

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
I did 171 and from what ive heard 201 is pretty straightforward. 1a was a joke.

Orwell

HSC
I have to register for OWeek - so many choices!

mrstripedshades

HSC
Personally O week was kinda useless minus the free stuff in terms of anything substantial being gained.

Its definitely worth it though for getting familiar with the general layout (I'd never visited MQ before), other first year students (i met a lot of people at O week I knew beforehand), a general overview of societies and of course, the free shit.

Also, I didn't actually know this till like SEM 2 because even though I registered for societies online, I never visited an event last year. but you actually get these stickers on your id card for societies, so if theres free societies you'd consider joining I'd just join them.

The best free stuff I got was from the commbank stall which were these indomie mi goreng packets, had never tried them before and absolutely love it now

Yea I have done STAT150 and the friends i selected classes with also have done it, so it may be a prerequisite. That being said, that unit is fairly easy, even though for some reason difficulty of statistics based courses is really hyped up (maybe the ones that Actuary students do are harder - and I mean in general not for MQ).

It's not even math heavy, its more conceptual and honestly you dont even need to understand the concepts if its run like 2017. You basically get a sheet where you can literally write everything that can be tested in a guide and you will do great.

Mate actuarial is better at mq plus mq closer nty unsw and I got a hd avg. Also mq isn't a g8 uni so that's why the credit transfer doesn't work out...

If you guys need any help with any finance/acst lemme know that way when I have to write an essay you guys can help me out :)
I didnt say it to anyone in particular. Just throwing it out there because a lot of commerce students aspire to transfer or wish they went to UNSW.

Last edited:

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
ACST201 looks interesting but STAT150 is said as a prerequisite (or only ACST101?), both of you have done STAT150 right?

It seems more like you have to have done one of them but probably better if you've done both.
stat is super ez dude, just do it and get it over with. You cant do afin250 or acst201 without it, so youre shooting yourself in the foot if you dont do it asap.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Hahaha.

Is OWeek extremely important to one's understanding of uni life etc?
I went and it was very helpful. My no1 recommendation: find the "redfrogs" stand where they give out these amazing mq uni tailored uni planners (like a big calendar sort of thing). It was so helpful in planning assessments etc and I'm very tempted to go in to o-week and grab one then go home.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
oh I always go to the newsagent and just buy a calendar lol. It can be good. If you're doing anything that comes under the faculty of business and economics sign up for first-step. On another download the app lost on campus, saved me so many times

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
oh I always go to the newsagent and just buy a calendar lol. It can be good. If you're doing anything that comes under the faculty of business and economics sign up for first-step. On another download the app lost on campus, saved me so many times
no dude it has every ubar party on it, when session starts/finishs, what week you are in, when exams start/finish and it shows u 6 months at a time so its better than a calendar

Orwell

HSC
As a law/arts student does the first-step mentoring program apply to me?

Is it all beneficial if it does?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)