Describe the forms in which carbon dioxide is carried in the blood
-70% dissolved as bicarbonate ions
-23% as carbaminohaemoglobin
-7% dissolved in plasma.

Q. Explain how mutation may result in a new generation of alleles

Last edited:
HSC
danz90 said:
Outline the role of hormones Aldosterone and ADH in the regulation of salt and water levels in the blood.
Aldosterone controls salt levels in the blood. It is produced by the adrenal glands above the kidneys. If blood pressure levels are low and the body needs salt, then more aldosterone is released, and it stimulates the nephrons to decrease reabsorption of potassium and increase reabsorption of sodium. If there is increased blood volume and pressure, meaning high salt concentrations, then less aldosterone is released.

Anti-Diuretic hormone (ADH) controls reabsorption of water into the blood. In the prescence of ADH, water passes freely by osmosis out of kidney ducts and back into the body, and as the blood water levels return to normal less ADH is secreted, and thus less water is reabsorbed.

Outline Koch's postulates.

danz90

HSC
midifile said:
Lemark came up with the theory of evolution by aquired characteristics, where if an organism required a particular characteristic they would aquire it, and then it would be passed on to their offspring. Despite being wrong, this was accepted in France, as he suggested this theory after the French Revolution, and as a result people were more accepting of the fact that change can occur, so his theory was widely accepted.

Darwin worked in Britain where there was an entrenched monarchy and the church and state were allies. As a result, the state was not accepting of his theory of evolution due to natural selection. However, as science and medicine were begining to improve individuals lives, people were more accepting of science, and in the huxley-wilberforce debate, huxley presented enough evidence to convince the public of darwins theory
Excellent answer.

aussiechick007 said:
Aldosterone controls salt levels in the blood. It is produced by the adrenal glands above the kidneys. If blood pressure levels are low and the body needs salt, then more aldosterone is released, and it stimulates the nephrons to decrease reabsorption of potassium and increase reabsorption of sodium. If there is increased blood volume and pressure, meaning high salt concentrations, then less aldosterone is released.

Anti-Diuretic hormone (ADH) controls reabsorption of water into the blood. In the prescence of ADH, water passes freely by osmosis out of kidney ducts and back into the body, and as the blood water levels return to normal less ADH is secreted, and thus less water is reabsorbed.

Outline Koch's postulates.
Nice answer too. :) Except doesn't Aldosterone increase permeability of tubules for ALL salt ions?

Koch's postulates were used to specify the causative pathogen/microorganism of a particular disease which produced specific symptoms:

1. The microorganism must be able to cultured on an agar base in a lab, by obtaining blood sample from the infected organism.
2. The microorganism must be present in all infected hosts.
3. When an organism is inncoulated with the bacteria/pathogen cultured, it should exhibit the same symptoms as the initially infected host.
4. When a bacterial culture is isolated from the second host, it must be found that the same species infected the original host also.

Ahh veryyy hazy on that. LOL

Describe an example of hybridisation within a species and explain the purposeof this hybridisation.

Mongoz

DySFuNcTioNal
HSC
this is the best threadddddddd ever
i just did bio study for 10 minutez with all kindz of questionz
thank-u
next question:

Identify causes of non-infectious disease using an example from wach of the following categories:
  • inherited diseases
  • nutritional deficiencies
  • environmental diseases

danz90

HSC
Mongoz said:
this is the best threadddddddd ever
i just did bio study for 10 minutez with all kindz of questionz
thank-u
next question:

Identify causes of non-infectious disease using an example from wach of the following categories:
  • inherited diseases
  • nutritional deficiencies
  • environmental diseases
Inherited, eg Down Syndrome
Cause: An extra chromosome on the 21st pair of chromosomes (ie trisomy-21).

Nutritional Deficiency, eg Scurvy
Cause: Due to chronic deficiency of Vitamin C.

Environmental, eg Lead Poisoning
Cause: Long-term exposure to high levels of lead in contaminated water, air or soil. It bioaccumulates in adipose tissue and bones, thus causing lead poisoning.

Next: Explain how a NAMED disease results from an imbalance of microflora in humans.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
Describe an example of hybridisation within a species and explain the purposeof this hybridisation.
Example- Triticale, a hybrid mix between wheat and rye. Its purpose is to provide farmers with a crop that possesses desirable characteristics i.e. hybrid vigour. Its got a high yield, high crop quality, disease resistance and drought resistance as well :S

btw, I hope we all get band 6's for bio (the ones participating in this thread)
I hope so too! :) Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
HSC
danz90 said:
Hybridisation occurs when two different types of organisms of the same species are bred, usually true breeding, to produce a hybred organism with desirable characteristics. An example of this is hybrid corn which has enhanced disease resistance, able to respond better to environmental changes and is much more upright.

Outline the processes used to produce transgenic species and include examples of this process and reasons for its use.

Takuto

HSC
danz90 said:
I'm sure you'll get your 99+ :) by the sound of ur responses. ;)

btw, I hope we all get band 6's for bio (the ones participating in this thread) :D
what are everyones ranks in this subject anyway? you guys are so good.. haha

danz90

HSC
Kujah said:
Example- Triticale, a hybrid mix between wheat and rye. Its purpose is to provide farmers with a crop that possesses desirable characteristics i.e. hybrid vigour. Its got a high yield, high crop quality, disease resistance and drought resistance as well :S

I hope so too! :) Good luck everyone!
you're like guaranteed band 6 dude. every answer of urs in this thread is like better than textbooks. ;)
are u going for state ranking?

btw, in reply to above post... im ranked 1/5 but then again my class isn't overly smart.

Takuto

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
Outline the processes used to produce transgenic species and include examples of this process and reasons for its use.
Transgenic species are organisms which have had genetic material from another species transferred onto their chromosomes

This is used to produce particular traits or characteristics in an organism, which can then be passed on to their offspring

The processes which are used to produce transgenic species include:

1. A useful gene is identified, including the chromosome which it is located on
2. This gene is isolated, or 'cut-out' of its DNA strand
3. Separate DNA sequences may have to be added to ensure the gene works
4. The gene is then inserted into the cell of another organism

The reasons transgenic species are used may be to increase the disease or environmental resistance, productivity and quality of an organism

e.g BT is a bacterium which naturally produces chemicals that can kill many insect pests. BT crops have been genetically modified to produce BT naturally thus no longer need to be sprayed

my answer isnt that good so someone else try it too ^

Q: Explain how mutations in DNA can lead to the formation of new alleles

gonutsmate

HSC
A:Mutations generally result in the alteration of the base sequence of DNA. The mutations can result in
the removal, the replacement or destruction of certain sections of bases. The altered base sequences now
code for new information, that generally is not naturally occuring. The previous allele has been altered to create a new one.

Im coming 4/40ish so im hoping for somewhere around 90 - 91. :p
That would be uber helpful in the quest for decent uais.

BT = Baccillus thuringiensis
Species names are always good to add.

I love this one cause it carries over into Chemistry, with almost the exact same dotpoint.

Describe ways in which drinking water can be treated and use available evidence to explain how these methods reduce the risk of infection from pathogens.

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
gonutsmate said:
Describe ways in which drinking water can be treated and use available evidence to explain how these methods reduce the risk of infection from pathogens.
I love this dotpoint because its already addressed in my chemistry course.

Drinking water supplies can be sanitised to a potable standard via Chlorination. Chlorination involves either bubbling Chlorine gas into the water supply, or dispersing a solution of Sodium Hypochlorite.

Cl2(g) + H2O(l) ---> HCl(aq) + HOCl(aq)

The hypochlorite ion attacks the cell walls of bacteria, and induces cell lysis of pathogens (via dehydration). The establishment of acidic conditions and lower pH via H+ production may also significantly reduce the number of microorganisms.

Hence, by chlorinating water, it is evident that the number of infectious microorganisms such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia are greatly reduced, hence reducing risk of infection.

Identify and describe the main features of epidemiological studies.

Last edited:

Takuto

HSC
danz90 said:

Drinking water supplies can be sanitised to a potable standard via Chlorination. Chlorination involves either bubbling Chlorine gas into the water supply, or dispersing a solution of Sodium Hypochlorite.

The hypochlorite ion attacks the cell walls of bacteria, and induces cell lysis of pathogens (via dehydration). The establishment of acidic conditions and lower pH via H+ production may also significantly reduce the number of microorganisms.

Hence, by chlorinating water, it is evident that the number of infectious microorganisms such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia are greatly reduced, hence reducing risk of infection.
holyy shit. haha

that sounds more like chem than bio

hahaha

Takuto

HSC
danz90 said:
Identify and describe the main features of epidemiological studies.
They must demonstrate a significant link between the cause and disease

The study should be done on a large range of subjects e.g in terms of age, sex, race, occupation, location and socieconomic status

The cause-effect relationship must be independent of other factors

The results must persist over time

The cause must come before the disease

As there is greater exposure to the cause, there should be greater incidence of the disease

The study should be repeatable, at a different time, place and using different methods

A long one..

Q: Analyse and present information about the occurence, symptoms, cause, treatment/management of a named non-infectious disease

Last edited:

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
danz90 said:

im sure that boiling the water is also something reaaly important to know for this dot point...like more important than chlorination...but still, nice response :D

Takuto

HSC
syriangabsta said:
im sure that boiling the water is also something reaaly important to know for this dot point...like more important than chlorination...but still, nice response :D
i agree lol thats detailed AS

i would have just defined like

chlorination
filtration
pasteurisation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)