Ngyuen's Execution (1 Viewer)

Kirika

HSC
the basis we have to intervene in the cases of FGM are the many laws that have been passed in African nations outlawing the practice, and the pleas from Africans, both men and women, for help to eradicate the practice. However Westerners have short memories... up until about the 1930s a recognised medical procedure across Europe, including in England and possibly Australia was to 'circumcise' young girls as a 'cure' for mastibation.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
basic human rights aren't privileges, they are rights.
I think you are little confused there tully. Human Rights are nothing without universality. You get human rights by virtue of being human.

If Human Rights are not implemented under the principle of universality then they cease to be human rights. They simply because rights on their own.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Kirika said:
the basis we have to intervene in the cases of FGM are the many laws that have been passed in African nations outlawing the practice, and the pleas from Africans, both men and women, for help to eradicate the practice. However Westerners have short memories... up until about the 1930s a recognised medical procedure across Europe, including in England and possibly Australia was to 'circumcise' young girls as a 'cure' for mastibation.
Short memories? What does leaving behind a barbaric practice have to do with having a short memory? Yes, such a practice was once common throughout such societies, but the fact is it that it is no now no longer considered to be justifiable, and that's the point.

Kirika

HSC
I am saying that we claim that we have been in this excellent morally advanced society for years and years and it actually hasnt been too long.

K

katie_tully

However Westerners have short memories... up until about the 1930s a recognised medical procedure across Europe, including in England and possibly Australia was to 'circumcise' young girls as a 'cure' for mastibation
Keyword is outlawed. Westerners haven't practiced it for over 70 years, so... I don't get where that point is going.

K

katie_tully

I am saying that we claim that we have been in this excellent morally advanced society for years and years and it actually hasnt been too long.
Nobody is saying that Westerners have this morally advanced society, or that we've had one for years. The definition of a Western country is one that is progressive. We are progressively evolving. Other countries are not.

Kirika

HSC
i mean what i just wrote, we forget the things that we have done in the past and because of that we view differently that actions of other nations. sorry, i am having trouble communicating my point, it does look like im talking in circles doesnt it...

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Kirika said:
i mean what i just wrote, we forget the things that we have done in the past and because of that we view differently that actions of other nations. sorry, i am having trouble communicating my point, it does look like im talking in circles doesnt it...
I think you should take katie_tully as an example and just not care about your ineptitude at putting together a logical viewpoint.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
midnight_magick said:
I am totally speechless for what has happened. I don't know what to say or think...
dont worry you'll forget about him tomorrow when the news media will concentrate on some other "victim"

HSC
SashatheMan said:
dont worry you'll forget about him tomorrow when the news media will concentrate on some other "victim"
within a week as if anybody will even mention his name

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I doubt that considering that the Bali 9 are likely to be executed as well.

walrusbear

HSC
seriously, tully and some others here have taken ideas of cultural relativism to silly extremes
it doesn't mean we are beyond critical thinking on the matter
especially with something as universal as human rights
saying that someone deserves to die because it is another culture's law is a non-argument. what is so sacrosanct about law? if you believe what is happening is wrong, then say so.

walrusbear

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Fuck human rights, humans are pathetic and the sooner we wipe ourselves out the better the world will be.
wow
faux-nihilism
how deep

nedzelic

HSC
anyone who is digusted in siungapore treatement listen:

there is a proposed boycot of singaporese products
this includes OPTUS - so cancel your phone contracts now!

also, some building in sydney somwhere
i dunno

no more OPTUS

walrusbear

HSC
Komaticom said:
It's amazing how in today's Telegraph, the editor seemed to actually let loose opinions along the lines of "Nguyen deserved it. It's because of people like him that junkies exist".
people take drugs because someone moves the drugs??
there're a few big holes in that logic

Generator

HSC
N/A
Many people buy and take and probably die from drugs because one individual successfully enters a country with stash. 1 + 1 = 2
It's more a case of x + y +a +b + blah = z.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)