Not being allowed to do maths extension 2 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Some schools are horrible.

I am happy that at my school everything is base of filling classes.
I really hate it. I am hopefully, going to persuade them to a) let me have a 'class' as such with the teacher for Year 12 because OHS is sucky and b) let me try Ext. Japanese for couple of weeks and by the end of the term I will judge if I am good enough to do it for another year.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I really hate it. I am hopefully, going to persuade them to a) let me have a 'class' as such with the teacher for Year 12 because OHS is sucky and b) let me try Ext. Japanese for couple of weeks and by the end of the term I will judge if I am good enough to do it for another year.
Your school won't run a class with just one person.

D94

HSC
N/A
Schools can run classes with only 1 person; there's no official rule where a school must have at least x number of students per class. It's how many teachers are available in the school to run the course.

HSC
Uni Grad
Schools can run classes with only 1 person; there's no official rule where a school must have at least x number of students per class. It's how many teachers are available in the school to run the course.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We have a qualified Japanese teacher who can teach Year 7 to the Extension course and they told me that the class can't be on because I was the only person doing it. Then half of my free periods, I see her walking around doing nothing.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I know there isn't a rule but i never heard one doing this

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We have a qualified Japanese teacher who can teach Year 7 to the Extension course and they told me that the class can't be on because I was the only person doing it. Then half of my free periods, I see her walking around doing nothing.
Well, that kind of...you know...sucks.

D94

HSC
N/A
Nope. Some schools do indeed run with 1 person; someone on this forum forms a 1 person class (MX2). My MX2 teacher told us that he ran a 1 person class in his previous school. Some classes have 4 people in my school. Your school probably can't be bothered with the copious admin work (ie. submitting a form to BOS, signing you into the course, timetabling and so on). There could be other valid reasons though.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
i really, really, really, really want to do extension 2 maths, it has been a dream of mine for so long,
My suggestion:

i) never adopt the confrontationist approach (like - listen here, I have the right to do it. If you don't allow me I'm going to get in touch with The Board of Studies etc etc)

ii) explain to your maths coordinator you are very keen to do MX2 and very anxious to be allowed to do it. Maybe explain how this is very important for the type of courses you hope to do at uni.

iii) listen to what she has to say. If she has concerns about your recent grades and therefore your ability to cope it is then your job to reassure her and to explain how you are going to go about it.(e,g, you have a very dedicated maths mentor, viz. Drongoski haha, who is going to help you fill in the gaps in the mean time){This is a useful life skill. Always try to persuade people to come round to your position. Confrontation only leads to unpleasant and counterproductive outcome}

Good luck tomorrow. Remember to be pleasant.

Last edited:

king chopper

HSC
It aint all about you mate

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to my whole school. There are ~120 people in my year and only ~12 put any effort in.
I feel your pain man.
Out of my geography, economics and modern class, there are probably only 4 students in each who are capable of getting a decent atar. I really hope the school and class averages don't bring down my marks haha.

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i really, really, really, really want to do extension 2 maths, it has been a dream of mine for so long, but this year I did well in my 2u exams, but not so great in the 3u. I got ranked 15/20 ( it wasn't extension though for the3u since we haven't started it, it was just harder 2u) im not sure if people get what i mean but yeah...so today I went to speak to the maths coordinator about whether i can take up 4u and she said she will check on my results and let me know tomorrow...i just want to know whether they can stop me from doing it if thats what i want? i mean cant they at least let me try, i will have 13 units to start with as a safety net. thanks in advance
If they offer a 4U class and there is room, they cannot force you out of it if such is your wish - considering you have successfully complete Y11 Extension 1.
However, the thing I would be concerned about is that you are doing too many units overall. If you are coping with 2U but not excelling, then that extra unit up to Extension 2 is going to be a huge hit on your overall workload. I would suggest dropping a subject if you wished to give yourself an opportunity to successfully complete the Extension 2 course. The problem is you have not given yourself a good springboard into the Extension 2 course and so you're going to have to put in some crazy work getting your 3U stuff up to snuff.
What textbook(s) have you been using?
If you need advice how to do all of this, keep posting to this thread and I'm sure my voice will be one of many offering to help.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Fact: School can prevent you from doing a course.
Fact: They can only stop you from doing a course, if a class is full (filled to capacity), according to legislation and bylaws (for public schools), or regulations (private/religious schools).

Fact: Schools are (obviously) allowed to give places according to Year 11 marks. So if there are only two teachers teaching MX2, and say, a max of 25 students per class, they will offer it to the top 50 students.
Fact: If anyone rejects their offer, then the 51st student gets the offer.
etc. etc.

Last Fact: You can only appeal if: 1. The class is not full according to regulations/bylaws. 2. If the class is not full, check with people who were ranked above you. If they accepted, chances are, you just missed out. For instance, if you're 58th, and only 7 people from the original 50 declined their offer, and the subsequent 7 students all accepted, you're pretty much up shit creek with regards to getting into MX2.

Also, I laughed at how you said 'it's always been a dream of yours to do MX2. Really? A dream to do MX2? People dream of becoming doctors and Prime Ministers and Presidents. Not of doing MX2.

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Also, I laughed at how you said 'it's always been a dream of yours to do MX2. Really? A dream to do MX2? People dream of becoming doctors and Prime Ministers and Presidents. Not of doing MX2.
A fair point if unkindly expressed. What I've found is that students with a pedestal view of the 4U course find little else but a whole heap of work that they neither fully understand nor enjoy. Extension 2 is not a prerequisite for any Uni course (extension 1 is the only prerequisite; even for actuarial studies although any actuarial commerce student not having done 4U is going to start behind the majority of their peers). Sometimes students can get caught up in the pomp and process of a "selective" course without really considering or even worrying about the end goal and thus how they are to achieve it. Most of Extension 2 gets quickly covered in a typical 1st year maths course so sometimes it is not the big deal it is occasionally made out to be. Students who do it as fun or because they can excel at it generally do better than those who view it as the holy grail of mathematics (which it obviously isn't).

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
However just because they are that teacher's free periods doesn't mean that the teacher doesn't have a full load made up of other classes. Teacher loads are set - that is two fold - number of periods they can teach per week/cycle and number of students in a class.

Just because one class can run at your school with one period doesn't mean that another can simply because of the teaching loads for the teachers concerned e.g. we will be running both Ext 2 English and Maths because they can be accommodated within the available periods of the qualified teachers for those subjects but we mightn't be able to run Extension History as we mightn't have enough available periods to staff the class.

Last edited:

TheCardician

HSC
i really, really, really, really want to do extension 2 maths, it has been a dream of mine for so long, but this year I did well in my 2u exams, but not so great in the 3u. I got ranked 15/20 ( it wasn't extension though for the3u since we haven't started it, it was just harder 2u) im not sure if people get what i mean but yeah...so today I went to speak to the maths coordinator about whether i can take up 4u and she said she will check on my results and let me know tomorrow...i just want to know whether they can stop me from doing it if thats what i want? i mean cant they at least let me try, i will have 13 units to start with as a safety net. thanks in advance
If they don't let you in, don't let it stop you. Work your backside off this term and hopefully you shall be rewarded.

When I was in year 10, I was in the middle maths class and I wanted to do 2 unit maths, hence I picked it for my year 11 subject selection. However, due to my half yearly exam results, they wouldn't let me in - under the assumption that I would do badly. I wanted to prove them wrong, hence I got tutored for 4 months and really worked my butt off. After which, I asked the maths coordinator to give me an exam to see if I was good enough. I ended up passing with 85% and got into 2U. Considering it was 2U, it doesn't seem like much hahaha. But it didn't stop there. In the first year 11 exam I came first out of the 2 and 3 unit classes, to which I was then recommended and pushed up to 3 unit. But when the prelim exams came, I majorly stuffed up - 49% :S Although the really hilarious thing was that I actually came first 0_o And so I was luckily offered a spot in 4 unit maths and now I'm coming first (out of 2 people xD).

So what I'm trying to tell you is you can do whatever you set your mind to. How bad do you want it? Prove them wrong.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)