Notes :s (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
It really depends how u study...

For chem i barely made notes in class or by reading the textbook chapter per chapter, rather used the syllabus, made notes dot point by dot point and found the info in various textbooks based on the specific dot point.

However, for physics i did it the other way, i practically summarised all of Jacaranda and then made brief notes with regard to syllabus with my summaries... however this at time was a problem esp with the Quanta to Quarks option as most of the info in Jacaranda is not needed..

Do what works best for you, but imo its the actual 'writing' of notes that helps you, u remember it more that way, if u write your notes without paying attention and then try to memorise them point for point, i believe its much harder....

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Your teachers mustve been good. My one frequently goes out on tangents about what he deems to be far more interesting. Last day of term, he was flapping on about lawn mowers.
Well, maybe because I went to a school where there were at least 5 classes for each subject I did. THere were 5 classes for Physics, 5 for Chemistry, 9 for English Advanced and 10 for Maths, most with different teachers. It would be hard for a teacher to put something in an exam, that wasn't in the syllabus, because every single teacher has to agree on examinable material.

And yeah, I guess I was lucky. :)

speedofsound

HSC
i wouldn't become too relient on just notes, when writing notes you tend to unconciously omit information and therefore your notes don't have as much substance as you need. i wouldn't worry about your notes too much, just continue to write as you for good summaries of information, but continue to read from wider resources.

but +1 to those that said structure your notes based on syllabus dot points.

Eddykungfu

HSC
Well, maybe because I went to a school where there were at least 5 classes for each subject I did. THere were 5 classes for Physics, 5 for Chemistry, 9 for English Advanced and 10 for Maths, most with different teachers. It would be hard for a teacher to put something in an exam, that wasn't in the syllabus, because every single teacher has to agree on examinable material.

And yeah, I guess I was lucky. :)
How did you guys go in sport (GPS)??

lol. jk.

HSC
Hmm.. thats exactly what I does for Physics. I am writing out all the Jacaranda notes from the beginning and then thought of transitioning syllabus notes into my own. Or should I simply go by the syllabus. In the case of Physics I think I should stick to Jacaranda and as for the options I'm not sure.

I guess for Physics and Economics (in my case), I should make notes from the book, and then add the syllabus notes where they are required, mainly because these subjects invlove lots of forumlas and statistics.

As for other subjects, such as Legal, I guess I should stick to the syllabus.

One more thing guys, what about Maths. Did any of you 2009'ers bother to make any notes for maths? Whats the best way to go in ready for Maths?

NOTES OR NO NOTES? Or perhaps just a note of the tough problems?

Mcmc

HSC
For maths you just write down formulas and do as many questions as possible. That's all you need.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I write my chem notes by the syllabus, and do ancient notes by categories if I can be bothered [I find it harder to put all the info under the dotpoints, whereas my chem teacher actually taught and gave us notes for each one individually].

@Juggernaut, I'm not an 09er but I write out all the important formulae and a few graphs etc in coloured texta. It's the only way I'll be able to look at it, and it works. Except everyone else steals them just before the exams, so =\

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
i never wrote maths notes, except for the ones that the teacher puts on the board... cause the more questions you do, the more you retain the formulas. but it doesn't hurt if you write it on a post-it-note and stick it up on the wall in front of your desk ( just to assist with the memorisation of them

for chem and phys, i got a word doc, wrote the dot-point and using text books and study guides and what the teacher says, answer it; and do that for all the dot-points.

micuzzo

HSC
Hmm.. thats exactly what I does for Physics. I am writing out all the Jacaranda notes from the beginning and then thought of transitioning syllabus notes into my own. Or should I simply go by the syllabus. In the case of Physics I think I should stick to Jacaranda and as for the options I'm not sure.

I guess for Physics and Economics (in my case), I should make notes from the book, and then add the syllabus notes where they are required, mainly because these subjects invlove lots of forumlas and statistics.

As for other subjects, such as Legal, I guess I should stick to the syllabus.

One more thing guys, what about Maths. Did any of you 2009'ers bother to make any notes for maths? Whats the best way to go in ready for Maths?

NOTES OR NO NOTES? Or perhaps just a note of the tough problems?
it really depends on how u prefer to study, however, i myself found it easier to make summaries straight from the book, but every now n then i would look back at the syllabus to make sure the info i was adding was relevant... I did make some notes by syllabus dotpoint for physics but they were pretty basic [less than 1 96pg book for the whole course]. this was mainly for two reasons: 1) i figured out that there was no point rewriting what i already had, 2) i didnt have enough time to write detailed notes...but in physics i did learn more in class so class notes + book summaries were what i needed...For chem i didnt write much in class so all my notes were made by following the syllabus, and they were quite extensive, so this became my study tool... its totally up2u, i prolly also did it this way bcoz i found physics easy and chem harder so more time was needed to fully understand the concepts for chem...

I didnt really make notes for maths, i tried to write all the formulas, but this didnt work + our teacher gave us a formula booklet ne way n expected us to memorise the whole thing [he tested us on this too lol]

But in the end, make sure the notes u write are with some regard to the syllabus because in the actual HSC exams its wat u get tested on.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
hey, I make my notes according to syllabus dot points and you should also examine past hsc questions to help you determine relationships between dot points

This is especially important for economics (which is my only hsc subject), where you should link economic policies to issues and integrate current stats, graphs and diagrams into your notes

Klutsov

HSC
Dotpoints from syllabus is the easiest way especially for sciences.
Questions from previous exams can also be useful-give indication of depth of information required

0bs3n3

HSC
You can't only rely on syllabus. You need to include any information that the teacher thinks is really important, regardless if it's in the syllabus or not, cause they might put it in the test.
+ 1.

For example in Modern some questions *may* ask you about the weaponry although this isn't a syllabus point.

Anyway, once we've actually made our summaries what do we do with them?! I have a tendency just to leave it sitting there and never touch it again till I need to add to it lol.

nerd_2b

HSC
What I did at this stage was just summary notes on everything learnt.

Don't make them long!, Just follow the Syllabus and write a few dot points for each as "Trigger points".

You choose your trigger "Dot points" wisely, so that they will in effect, trigger a load of information which you have learnt (If not, go and learn it).

Then once you have got some summary points for each topic/syllabus pt, read through them all, and if one of the points doesn't recall anything/much, simlpy open your text book and learn it.

Reading out loud can help, as you are using more than one sense to learn.

Yeah I'm planning to make trigger notes later, after I finish writing my detailed notes, because it helps me to remember and retain more of the textbook stuff. It may not work out for everyone, but do whatever suits YOU.
Trigger notes, that is a summary of summaries!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)