NRL : The Official NRL Thread 2006 (1 Viewer)

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
copious said:
1 million for 3 seasons for Nate Myles, is he really that good?

The resounding answer to that is NO.

And I'm not just saying that out of bitternes. Myles is worth 200k a year, tops. It's only because QLD were struggling for forwards that he was ever an origin player this early in his career - and it's caused his ego to inflate to the size of his forehead.

Oh wells, we have plenty forwards :eek:.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Another win for the Storm!

28-12 over the Sharks.

In some aspects I was right, in others I was wrong. Storm did win, but they won by more than I expected......by a good 16 points. Although it wasnt a thrashing, I thought it would have been closer. Awh well.

Melbourne ftw!

In other news, yeah........the contract for Nate Myles is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I mean yeah, he is a good player in form, but to earn that kind of contract you need to prove your worth. Im not convinced with Myles being a great player, or a player that is worth the kind of money he signed up to. But time will tell. Lets hope it pays off for the Roosters.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
brogan77 said:
Not if we sign o'meley for 2008, too. :eek:
</3.

THE BULLDOGS ARE NOT THE ROOSTER'S FEEDER CLUB.

P.S - O'Meley ain't going anywhere if he knows what's good for him *shakes fist*.

From The Australian
Belmore's best beginning to boil
By Willie Mason
Bulldogs star

July 21, 2006

LOSING Nate Myles to Sydney Roosters on top of Roy Asotasi going to South Sydney has got me fuming. It's again a case of the Bulldogs paying for their success, and I don't think that's fair.

Let's start with Roy.

I moved to the Bulldogs in 1998, he arrived in 1999, and we have been great mates ever since. I played first grade before him but I have watched him develop into one of the best front rowers in the competition.

The Bulldogs have developed him to where he has been such a great player over the past couple of years. Now we can't afford to keep him. Yet the bottom sides like South Sydney, and those other clubs who aren't as successful, get to grab at our good players. It sucks.

Don't get me wrong.

Roy deserves the money he gets, but what can you say when a club like Souths offers you $450,000 a year and the Bulldogs can't afford to give him what he's worth.

The Rabbitohs have got all that money to spend because they've got players that are average first graders and not worth too much.

Like I said, good luck to him and I'm happy for him to go because he's got a family to look after.

But as I keep saying to him, he'd want to cherish this year because it will probably be the last finals series he plays until he retires. There's no way in the world Souths will go any good next year.

Nate's a different story and that ticks me off even more.

While I'm really upset that Roy did leave because we're great mates, he's done his time at the Dogs, he's been a great player for four or five years, and he deserves that money.

But I think Nate should have stayed because he needs to do his apprenticeship and he's gone and chased some money. You can come with excuses like you need a change or you need a starting spot but it comes down to the money.

I'd have loved to have been in his position, getting thrown $250,000 or $300,000 as a 21 year old, but I sacrificed that money to stay at the Bulldogs - and I haven't regretted it one bit.

I've won a premiership and it's made me the player I am today.

I wished Nate all the luck in the world because he is a good mate but I don't know if he is ready for the leadership role at the Roosters that comes with the responsibility of being a starting player.

The Roosters are going to put all that pressure on him by saying he's their No.1 buy and he's got to replace Adrian Morley. But Adrian Morley is irreplaceable.

He's one of the most intimidating players I have ever played against and it's a shame to lose him back to England. There's no other Adrian Morleys out there so I don't know what the Roosters are thinking with that.

It was the same for me when I was 21. I learned off players like Steve Price, Steve Reardon, Darren Britt and all those sort of older heads.

I sat behind those blokes, picked their brains, watched how they trained and that's probably made me the player I am. It's developed me into a leader. But I was no leader when I was 21 and I was in a better position than Nate was.

I don't know what can be done to help clubs like the Bulldogs retain their players. Probably raise the salary cap again? But to be honest there's probably nothing you can do.

It's a problem that won't go away. Sonny Bill Williams is off contract next year, so are Mark O'Meley and Daniel Holdsworth, there's a lot of them here at Belmore.

People are going to be throwing $600,000 or $700,000 at Sonny, $400,000 at Mark, Daniel Holdsworth has been playing some great football so he could be worth up to $300,000. It never ends.

That's just the price you pay for being successful.

Personally, I don't see what's wrong if a club wins a stack of premierships, just like the Dragons did in the 1960s.

There are not going to dynasties in the game now because the good teams just keep getting broken up every time you have a couple of good years. A couple of the good players come off contract and then they get bought.

We had an opportunity in the next four or five years to really establish ourselves in the NRL as the team that dominated the new millennium but we haven't got that chance now. Roy Asotasi was a real big part of that and so was Nate Myles and we've lost them both.

Turning to tomorrow night's clash against the Roosters, that's going to be a harder game than last Friday night's blockbuster against St George-Illawarra.

There's a confidence in the team after beating the Dragons last week that I last felt in 2004 when we won the premiership. But there's a lot of experienced players there now that know confidence isn't going to get you there.

You still have to work hard and you can't be mucking around. You've got to be switched on for every game and I think myself, Andrew Ryan, Tony Grimaldi and the rest of the senior players will be trying to drill that into everyone.

The Roosters will be tough because they've just come off a win, they're still a chance to make the eight and they're old rivals. They hate us and we hate them. If you play in a grand final and one team wins and one team loses there's always going to be rivalry.

We also need to beat them because they keep buying our players. Obviously they're trying to buy a premiership.

Fuuuuuuck me, Willie Mason for Prime Minister! I love this guy.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Willie Mason </3 Nate Myles .. how can they properly play together now that Myles is being called a "money-grabber" by his teammate? And also after practically being labelled as inadequate for State of Origin .. and not good enough for a starting position in First Grade.

But rofl at the last line, that was 1337.

Does anybody here actually think Finch will play First Grade at Parramatta? Both Tim Smith and Jeremy Smith are miles ahead of him .. Finch will be lucky to make it on the bench at Parra's Reggies side .. who won the Premiership last season.

Storm = winnars. I don't look forward to our match against them next week one little bit .. they are just playing so well!

They are my premiership favourites.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
snickerdoodle said:
THE BULLDOGS ARE NOT THE ROOSTER'S FEEDER CLUB.
All fourteen other NRL clubs are the Roosters' feeder bitches.

Won't be long before Gold Coast lose players to them too.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
IMO Brett Finch should of went to England for a season or two, away from the limelight. Seriously, he's been under so much pressure for a 24 year old and he will never live upto his potential playing in big city teams.

ledzeppelin

HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Does anybody here actually think Finch will play First Grade at Parramatta? Both Tim Smith and Jeremy Smith are miles ahead of him .. Finch will be lucky to make it on the bench at Parra's Reggies side .. who won the Premiership last season.
You're forgetting two things:
1. Jeremy Smith has signed with Souths
2. Michael Hagan is the Eels coach next season
I think Eels fans can look forward to a season of Finch in the number 6 jersey, no matter how bad he's going.
Better get used to the bottom of the ladders Eels fans :rofl: :rofl:

ledzeppelin

HSC
Something's just not right at Easts
The Jets and the Flegg team pwn the opposition each week, yet the first grade team = teh worst
The buck stops with Stuart
Sorry Ricky, your time is well and truly up

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Their new strategy is to hold down in the tackles although it didn't seem to work very well tonight. The bulldogs beat the easily and without hardly trying.

That ref needs to be stood down next week. 8 penalties against the roosters in the first half for holding down. They did it again in the second half and still no one was binned. That sort of stuff completely wrecks the game. Add to that the 4 or 5 penalty goals the bulldogs attempted instead of going for the try; very average game.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
Finch is going to be number 6, 7 is still going to be Tim Smith. Hopefully the change of enviroment will do him good...at least we will get ref decisions our way...

We got a better chance of getting in the 8 now, JT's coaching has helped us alot. We had great defence on today, with the exeption of a try (benfit of doubt my ass!)

davo_

good kid
HSC
Just quietly, when is Alan Tongue gunna get some credit via some sort of rep jumper etc. Bit of an unnoticed hero - but he is leading the season tackle count by more than one hundred tackles.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
davo_ said:
Just quietly, when is Alan Tongue gunna get some credit via some sort of rep jumper etc. Bit of an unnoticed hero - but he is leading the season tackle count by more than one hundred tackles.
I'm a supporter of the bulldogs, but I agree that Canberra's Alan Tongue deserves some credit. He certainly should have been picked to play in the City v Country match earlier in the season and I must admit that I was somewhat surprised by his omission. The only thing that I can think of that might count against him when it comes time to select the rep teams is his size. He is pretty small for a forward...but he more than makes up for this by averaging 40+ tackles each match...and he can also score tries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)