NRL Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledzeppelin

HSC
An example of the double standards that exist in the media in regards to rugby league and the other football codes.
This story has been buried deep within newspapers and tv shows:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/dock...cident-at-races/2006/01/02/1136050386643.html
Dockers midfielder charged after incident at races

Fremantle Dockers midfielder Heath Black will appear in Perth Magistrates Court on Friday after the AFL player was today charged over an incident at the Perth Cup races in which a police officer was hurt.

Black was arrested today and charged with assault occasioning bodily harm, obstructing police officers and assaulting a public officer after an incident yesterday at Ascot Racecourse.

Police said that at around 8.40pm local time last night they saw Black become involved in an incident with a 29-year-old male after Perth's biggest race meeting of the year.

Officers became involved in the altercation, during which time the alleged assault on an officer took place although no punches were thrown, police said.

The victims' injuries initially weren't thought to be serious, but he was taken to Royal Perth Hospital before being interviewed by police today.

"The victim had more serious injuries than first thought," a police spokesperson said.

Black was bailed today and will appear in court on Friday.

Fremantle released a statement stating Black had "notified the club immediately following the incident and has co-operated fully with the police assisting their enquiries into the matter".

Black was still on leave after reaching an agreement with the Dockers following his involvement in the International Rules series against Ireland.

He is scheduled to resume pre-season training next week with the AFL club.

Black was one of few highlights on the field for Fremantle last season, playing in all 22 games as the Dockers missed the finals.

Police said there were few incidents at Ascot yesterday, despite a 42,000-strong crowd.

"Everyone was generally pretty well behaved," the police spokesperson said.

If it was a rugby league player, it would undoubtedly be front page material.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
thats true, and its mainly because of the bad news in legue recently, since the bulldogs rape allegations that everything that happens is now front page news.

davo_

good kid
HSC
I'm not sure I completely agree. You have to remember we (well I'm assuming) are in a majority rugby league area - where rugby league will make news. I think if the AFL player in question was a Swans player it might be a bit different - news on the other side of the country is not going to be as big over here.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Well, I had an enjoyable day at the cricket, but I'm just shitted at the news that Steve Rogers passed away. Now, I only got in to league about 10 years ago, and with my main reason for following the Sharks being the man that is/was Mat Rogers, I no doubt came across the name Steve Rogers sooner rather than later. For those who havent heard, he died coming back from a fitness session in the morning. Now, I never actually got to see the great man play but what I've heard about him makes me cry. He was no doubt one of the greatest centres to ever grace a rugby league field and he was a great clubman. Condolences to the Rogers family, and to all Sharks fans. The black white and blue have lost their favourite son.

R.I.P. Sludge

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
davo_ said:
I'm not sure I completely agree. You have to remember we (well I'm assuming) are in a majority rugby league area - where rugby league will make news. I think if the AFL player in question was a Swans player it might be a bit different - news on the other side of the country is not going to be as big over here.
hmm, thats quite true. but we dont know if it made as big news in afl cities as nrl in sydney.

R.I.P Steve Rogers

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Like many Australians, it seems Sludge also suffered from depression. It shows us that despite the public face, no matter how people seem, they can be ill. Hopefully in Steve Rogers death the fight to help end this sickness will be invigorated.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
brogan77 said:
So...Dragons are fucked if they don't win next season cos they have ~13 players off-contract next year...SUCK DICK BOBBY!!!!!

Oh and Parramatta sacking Brian Smith before the season begins but still being coach for the year, STUPIDEST DECISON EVER!
I finally read this, whore!

But yes, whatever happens .. happens. At the moment I'm totally into reading anything I can about 56-66 .. it's a shame that I have to read about success instead of experience it :(

It's really awesome, though. ANYWAY.

Bookie said:
Well, I had an enjoyable day at the cricket, but I'm just shitted at the news that Steve Rogers passed away. Now, I only got in to league about 10 years ago, and with my main reason for following the Sharks being the man that is/was Mat Rogers, I no doubt came across the name Steve Rogers sooner rather than later. For those who havent heard, he died coming back from a fitness session in the morning. Now, I never actually got to see the great man play but what I've heard about him makes me cry. He was no doubt one of the greatest centres to ever grace a rugby league field and he was a great clubman. Condolences to the Rogers family, and to all Sharks fans. The black white and blue have lost their favourite son.

R.I.P. Sludge
And this as well.

Like bJ_Bhoy 87 said, it seems he killed himself.

So far the media have been pretty good to the Rogers family in letting them grieve, because suicide is a really tough death to cope with in a family. Having had an uncle (my mother's brother) commit suicide, and also having had the brother of my dad's best friend do likewise, our family has gone through the experience. Believe me when I say it is extremely harrowing.

Rogers was a clubman to the full, and his passing is obviously a big blow to the Sharks fraternity. Having only seen video footage of his playing days, it is obviously hard to come up with a personal opinion about his skills, in much the same vein as it is to do so for Gasnier, Churchill, Messenger, Langlands, Beetson, Sterling, Raper etc. We can only rely on the words we read about him and the opinions of older people, as well as his statistics, and it is clear that he was an amazing player. One of the greats.

Condolences to the Rogers family, to the Sharks community and the rugby league community.

R.I.P. Steve Rogers

HSC
i think u mean yr 11s ;)
Since u think this thread is lame, think of something interesting and NRL related which we can talk about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)