• I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Re: Leaders push for 'sorry' compensation

wuddie said:
i don't know how you came to the comparison with the insurance company, but did you know that to be insured, you have to pay premium? surprise! and the risk of claiming the insurance is already factored into the premium, of which the insurance company has agreed to honour. now, tell me, where does our taxation system include this risk of compensating the mistake of the past government? we can acknowledge the mistake, yes, and we have already done so. how does compensation cut into this apology?
Yes people pay premiums but where does the rest of the compensation come from? I think we both know the answer.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

_dhj_ said:
How they will spend the money does not matter. Anyone who receives monetary compensation should be able to spend that however they want to. I won't use the language of "rights" and "freedom" but that's just how society works. The same principle governs any wages Aboriginal people receive. If they deserve the money in principle they are free to choose how they spend it (of course within the realms of legality). Separate government policy is needed to encourage or discourage individuals to spend their money on certain things.
it does matter, though. because if they spend the money in such a way that they drag themselves further into the kind of life they supposedly want freedom from, then they don't deserve it. if you complain about something and are then offered a solution or compensation, and you go and use it to put yourself in an even deeper hole, you're an idiot.

Optoshit

HSC
Re: Did you support Rudd's apology?

mjarb said:
Let the Prime Minister apologise for the Parliment if he wants but dont include the majority of the non-indigenous populous as supporting his apology. The stolen generation is over-rated. There was no racial intent when children were removed from families. The only reason, the same as is still in place today with DOCS is that a child is removed from its parents if it is in danger or no being cared for correctly.
DOCS still have that charge today, do we see apologies being made to white (non-indigenous) children who have been removed from familes and fostered out? not likely.
Isn't the Government currently looking at the Northern Territory for acts of abuse to children, what do you think will happen if they find children in those situations - leave them in that situation??? Unlikely.
Lets get on with life. If an apology is to be made dont just make it to a racial minority?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

Optoshit

HSC
Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

Gay Captain said:
Hey that's exactly what Kevin Rudd's done so far :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
schroedinger said:
The fact that you are aware of this precludes you from offering any further input on this debate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem"
katie tully said:
I am off to work today. I'll let you guys know how many free packs of 5 or 10 syringes I give out are to Aboriginals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_emotion"

Last edited:

Gay Captain

HSC

Optoshit said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem[qupte=schroedinger]The fact that you are aware of this precludes you from offering any further input on this debate.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem[qupte=katie tully]I am off to work today. I'll let you guys know how many free packs of 5 or 10 syringes I give out are to Aboriginals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominemhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_emotion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_bad_formatting

ccc123

HSC

Whilst I respect the ATSI's were mismanaged by previous governments, I don't think the current generation should be held accountable. I mean, has the german government apologised for the Nazi regime? Has the Chinese government apologised for Maoist oppression? Has the south African government apologised to the blacks for apartheid? It could on and on...

What also irritates me about the Aboriginal mentality is that they seem to imply they're the only ones who've ever been invaded/mistreated by past governments. Furthermore, I think the general version being presented illustrates the past Australian governments as evil, child-abducting genocid[ists], rather than a government with altrustic intentions but ineffective strategies which inflicted more harm than they resolved.

Gay Captain

HSC

ccc123 said:
I mean, has the german government apologised for the Nazi regime? [/quoteHas the Chinese government apologised for Maoist oppression? Has the south African government apologised to the blacks for apartheid? It could on and on...
Umm, yes?

EDIT: appeal to history :(

ConjOB

HSC

Gay Captain said:
Hey that's exactly what Kevin Rudd's done so far :D
Bit of a difference between how long rudds been in power and howards 11 years. Although still i think Rudd's sorry is a big step.

K

katie_tully

Then why are they in such poor health? Maybe they need better doctors? God, I don't know. I'm not an Aboriginal Case Worker ffs.

And anyway, I find it frustrating and annoying and whateverelse that they can't just live like everybody else, in the cities, not in the middle of no-where. If they want to wander off etc, why can't they take care of themselves? But seeing as they want it that way and it's their culture, tradition, etc. I respect that. But it's still annoying to see taxpayer's money go into making medical centres and hospitals in the middle of no-where. Those people won't even be there the next day, they'll just set off again on foot or horse or whatever it is that they ride.
You can't say " I find it frustrating and annoying and whateverelse that they can't just live like everybody else, in the cities, not in the middle of no-where" and then say "But seeing as they want it that way and it's their culture, tradition, etc. I respect that". Obviously you dont respect it if it frustrates you.
Secondly, those living in traditional tribes are NOT the ones boozing and being shit at life in general.

They have a worse life expectancy because they don't SEEK the help that is available. You can lead a horse to water, you cannot make it drink. It's the same here, you can set up all sort of medical centres or interventions, but you can't make them do anything about it.

Anyway. Wherever they want to live, we still have to pay for their medical crap. If not through tax, then out of pity/sympathy.
What are you talking about? There are Aboriginal medical centres and Aboriginal only services in Metro areas, just as there are in rural areas. What does it matter if there is one in the middle of nowhere, there are still 100+ being funded in the city.

K

katie_tully

Optoshit said:
lol guise im going to be supercop coz i can take terms that were in a reading i read once, and like...wikipedia them, and then apply them (albeit using wikipedia links) to a situation!

what i cant do is explain why ive just copied and pasted these links coz i dont actually know what they mean.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

Did mjarb just compare kids being domestically abused to those growing up with black parents?

Because I'm pretty sure theres a huge fucking difference.

EDIT: It's not even a troll, cunt has premium.

mjarb said:
Let the Prime Minister apologise for the Parliment if he wants but dont include the majority of the non-indigenous populous as supporting his apology. The stolen generation is over-rated. There was no racial intent when children were removed from families. The only reason, the same as is still in place today with DOCS is that a child is removed from its parents if it is in danger or no being cared for correctly.
DOCS still have that charge today, do we see apologies being made to white (non-indigenous) children who have been removed from familes and fostered out? not likely.
Isn't the Government currently looking at the Northern Territory for acts of abuse to children, what do you think will happen if they find children in those situations - leave them in that situation??? Unlikely.
Lets get on with life. If an apology is to be made dont just make it to a racial minority?

HSC

katie_tully said:
Fuck off with your shitty bullshit wikipedia links you half baked fucking waste of a human.
second for eloquence

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

_dhj_ said:
Yes people pay premiums but where does the rest of the compensation come from? I think we both know the answer.
err, other people's premium? i don't know, einstein. the bottom line is, you are comparing private businesses with tax payers' (ie. public) money. where the hell is the similarity?

K

katie_tully

no fucking dice to this

over my exceptionally dead and rotting corpse

even then ill lay the smackdown

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

DHJ: Even if we supposed they did deserve compensation, such compensation can't be given by a government or people who were 100% uninvolved with the event in question.

K

katie_tully

Slidey said:
That annoying shit is on my ignore list. Is it somebody pretending to be that stupid Anit-Mathmite tool or what?
yah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)