Votes: 81 55.5%
  • Sorry wasn't appropriate.

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters
HSC
Re: Leaders push for 'sorry' compensation

what are we actually compensating them for? so far all I've got is some shit about their/their parent's rights, emotional trauma or whatnot...oh yeah and denial of their cultural heritage, the same heritage that's whored out over a hip hop track for change in circular quay daily.

and dhj, white kids ARE taken away, so are brown, yellow, mexican, all types of kids. why? because the government deemed their parents unfit to raise them, as the government did back then. sure it was probably racially motivated, but if you cough up compensation for that, you'll unleash a shitstorm. did germany ever compensated the jews? america the blacks? britain the indians? japan the chinese? mongolia the chinese? china the chinese?

Gay Captain

HSC

we give them what works out to be 40 grand a head per year (obviously we don't hand each individual 40k cash but that's what it works out to be per capita)

overall this achieves roughly nothing whatsoever

so if with compensation it worked out at say 60k a year it probably wouldn't make any difference whatsoever

therefore i'm completely indifferent to compensation because it wouldn't be a huge difference to our taxes anyway

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

Slidey said:
DHJ: Even if we supposed they did deserve compensation, such compensation can't be given by a government or people who were 100% uninvolved with the event in question.
It's not about the current government and people being responsible for what happened. It's about upholding the ideal of compensation for victims of injustice, particularly where that injustice was aggravated by the fact that it was inflicted by the state. It's shouldn't be about "us" against "them", how "we" (Anglo-Saxons) shouldn't compensate to "them" (Aborigines), but about how a society treats victims.

Another example. Would it not be right for a government to set up a relief fund (at the expense of taxpayers) for the victims of a natural disaster notwithstanding the fact that the taxpayers were not responsible for the natural disaster?

Last edited:

MathsIsWeird

HSC

I believe the sorry was necessary, however, if they ask for financial compensatiton then they should go to hell because there have been many things worse than what happened to them, i admit it was wrong what happened to them but it was done out of (back then) a rational thought for the children and their fututre i know that this doesnt make up for the fact that they were forcefully taken, but it was like an invasion and the more advanced force won, the way i see it if Australia was never taken by the british back then this place could have been just some really bushy place with people still walking around with spears and loincloths no offence but it is made what it is today because of what happened back then.
Again i do not condone the actions of the british about what happened to the aboriginies back then but financial gain seems to me on top of their list as an agenda for what they suffered.
Many bad things happen in this world, what makes them any diffrent that they should be compensated for something that was no where near as bad as it seems to be since it again i say seems to me an act of financial gain rather then of principal.
Again sorry but this is my view on previous and current occurances.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

_dhj_ said:
It's not about the current government and people being responsible for what happened. It's about upholding the ideal of compensation for victims of injustice.
Ah, no. It's got nothing to do with that; our justice system is functioning fine and will continue you to if we don't "compensate" aboriginals. It is justice systems which have lost touch with their roots and "compensate" anybody and everybody which are unstable (e.g. America). Especially since that idea is based upon entity A compensating entity B for damages A caused B. There is no entity A in the case of people moved from abusive homes; especially not in our time.

Another example. Would it not be right for a government to set up a relief fund (at the expense of taxpayers) for the victims of a natural disaster notwithstanding the fact that the taxpayers were not responsible for the natural disaster?
Natural disaster victims need short-term support. What support do the aboriginals need (that's not already provided) that money could help with?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

okay let's go through this. slidey raises a good point.

What do aboriginals (nay, all australian citizens, i should say), need?

-education
-healthcare
-access to recreational facilities
-adequate housing, food, etc.
-transport

i can't see anything on that list which has not already been provided for them in some way. and if you're lacking something important where you currently live, gee, i'd say most smart people would move.

bassistx

HSC
Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

katie_tully said:
You can't say " I find it frustrating and annoying and whateverelse that they can't just live like everybody else, in the cities, not in the middle of no-where" and then say "But seeing as they want it that way and it's their culture, tradition, etc. I respect that". Obviously you dont respect it if it frustrates you.
Secondly, those living in traditional tribes are NOT the ones boozing and being shit at life in general.

They have a worse life expectancy because they don't SEEK the help that is available. You can lead a horse to water, you cannot make it drink. It's the same here, you can set up all sort of medical centres or interventions, but you can't make them do anything about it.

What are you talking about? There are Aboriginal medical centres and Aboriginal only services in Metro areas, just as there are in rural areas. What does it matter if there is one in the middle of nowhere, there are still 100+ being funded in the city.
I said that it's frustrating because, quote "why can't they take care of themselves?" If they live in the outback, they're not going to travel to the city to seek medical help. If they have everything available to them and don't make use of those facilities, then they are not the only ones at a loss - it's taxpayers too. That's why I find it frustrating. I respect them, so we provide them with sufficient facilities and yet they do not use them. That is what annoys me. I think you misunderstood.

So basically, like you said - "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" except the issue here is that we are PAYING for that water. So you better damned use it instead of blame us for your health, etc.

I hope that made a bit more sense.

@HOWARD..It's so funny that out of all days of the year, he decided to take the apology day off. It's so obvious.

ConjOB

HSC
Re: Did you support Rudd's apology?

Arrrgggg. So many people with such poor ideas of what went on.

Id like to see anyone on here without the anomity of a forum speak to an aboriginal and tell them their opinions of them.

Last edited:

Zrap

glock9
HSC

Um Their Not Educated Enough To Understand
More About Health, And The Use Of Health Facilities.
Gosh Someone Have A Go At My Pe Teacher About This,
She Will Destroy You!

ConjOB

HSC

More on howard taking the day off, i love how the devils re-incarnate, the slimey smug fuck Tony Abbott goes ahead and backs him. What a cunt.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC

I did it during a lecture one of the Abos did. I was part of a debate team that said the Abos were basically useless in taking care of themselves. I've had their bullshit and stories about how hard a life they had shoved down my throat for 2 semesters. I think I'd know what I'm taking about when I state that they are full of shit and undeserving of compensation.

K

katie_tully

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
okay let's go through this. slidey raises a good point.

What do aboriginals (nay, all australian citizens, i should say), need?

-education
-healthcare
-access to recreational facilities
-adequate housing, food, etc.
-transport

i can't see anything on that list which has not already been provided for them in some way. and if you're lacking something important where you currently live, gee, i'd say most smart people would move.
I'd say a brain is missing.

bassistx

HSC

Tony's always been that way, took you long enough to realize...Never liked him.

K

katie_tully

Motherfuckers!
1. Education in the rural areas is adequate. No you're not going to get the same level of education in a remote village but fuck. Also if you're Aboriginal TAFE courses are free. Fuck off to everybody else who has to pay $400+
2. Healthcare is more than adequate.
3. They have recreational activities. THEY FUCKING VANDALISE AND BREAK SHIT AND THEN SPRAY PAINT ABORIGINAL FLAGS ON EVERYTHING.
4. If the transport is good enough for everybody else, it's good enough for them. Fuck off.

K

katie_tully

Howard didn't support the apology. He is no longer the PM.
He is a retired geriatric. Why the fuck does he have to show any interest in it what-so-ever?

K

katie_tully

ConjOB said:
Arrrgggg. So many people with such poor ideas of what went on.

Id like to see anyone on here without the anomity of a forum speak to an aboriginal and tell them their opinions of them.
I have.

Now fuck off.

K

katie_tully

Stevo. said:
I did it during a lecture one of the Abos did. I was part of a debate team that said the Abos were basically useless in taking care of themselves. I've had their bullshit and stories about how hard a life they had shoved down my throat for 2 semesters. I think I'd know what I'm taking about when I state that they are full of shit and undeserving of compensation.
Hahahaha.
Most nursing degrees have an entire Abo subject. I think that is pretty hilarious.

No, I don't really.

Zrap

glock9
HSC

White people are fucked

HSC

I haven't heard/watched Rudd's speech, so eh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)