• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Official Apology Thread (1 Viewer)

For or against "apology"?

• Sorry was necessary.

Votes: 81 55.5%
  • Sorry wasn't appropriate.

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters
K

katie_tully

Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

Optophobia said:
on a macro-scale when damage has been done, then money is necessary, and whether people want to pay compensation is irrelevant - magistrates don't only order people to pay for damage to other peoples cars if the defendant wants to pay for the damage.
In which case you shouldn't be concerned about monetary compensation. Because if we are not liable and we have done nothing wrong, then no court would award damages?

You are a living paradox.

- We didn't do anything wrong. (Well I said that, but I didn't say the next bit)
- We'll have to pay compensation.

What it comes down to is an imagined racial superiority struggle in your mind, which in effect causes you to pivot around the issue. You grapple with it in a way that allows you to retain blindness on the issue. You retain blindness because you feel that something of yours is at stake.
Abuse against migrants and aborigines has always happened. It continues to this very day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

Oh, but I have learned about logical fallacies seeing as you seem insistant on shoving them in my face 10 times every time i make a reply - even in response to arguments which are not strictly fallacious. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

They didn't steal their children to achieve that purpose (or make an attempt thereof).

You chose to attack me (and the reconciliation FAQ) rather than the argument posed. Hence you employed an ad hominem attack. It was YOU who engaged in hyperbole, not I.
OmgZ! The romans invaded other peoplez lands aboriginiez should just shut up and stop complaing ?!!@!@?@?!@

Fuck off.

DerRRRRrrr what this guy says make sense but i disagree with it because i imagine myself to have a vested interest in shooting down what he's saying because i'm a dumb cunt. derrr.. straw man fallacy. derrrrrr.

It is a rock solid source, and you have no main criticism other than to invoke a racist rejection of the story line as being "unreliable".
Because you, like the Liberal party, are heavy manipulators. You like to play word games (semantics) and avoid the issue at hand.

Derrr.. ad hominem derrr.
Dude, read it again you fuckstain.

I asked since when did an apology = compensation.

I then said I don't think there is anything for us to apologise for. I certainly don't remember saying
- We didn't do anything wrong. (Well I said that, but I didn't say the next bit)
- We'll have to pay compensation

What it comes down to is fuck off your argument is that of every other bleeding heart idiot.

Oh you disagree with an apology? You must hate Aboriginals!
Dumbasses.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Optophobia said:
Abuse against migrants and aborigines has always happened. It continues to this very day! (hence implying that we shouldn't treat this issue as special).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition
But that isn't what was said or implied....that is how you seem to interpret it to keep your argument going. Please consider what has been said by other people as opposed to ranting like a crazy and making a fool of yourself.

You're really coming across as ignorant and really closed minded in your replies. It's frustrating me just to read what you're saying right now.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

MaNiElla said:
Im looking forward to seeing how this apology would be/sound like ^_^
I think we're going to find that out tonight as the new parliament finally sat and it's meant to be discussed today. Well, that's according to ABC.

K

katie_tully

Bachelor of Wikipedia, Majoring in Bullshit Studies

bassistx

HSC

Didn't Johnny apologize then take it back? He was afraid they'd ask for compensations, so he said it was about something else and that they misunderstood him etc etc.
In any case, if this apology doesn't do anything but make Australia look "better" internationally, it was still worth it I guess :)
I bet the American Indians have been crying for an apology or any show of sympathy forever. The people want an apology, just give it to them. Words are for free. I don't get why there's such a big fuss about whether it should go on or not.

K

katie_tully

Optophobia said:
You do hate aboriginies.

They are different, and we shouldn't say sorry because then we'll have to pay compo and they are undeserving because they are all drunk petrol sniffers

(... drunk petrol sniffers because they're family structure has been fucked up due to forced removals).
Man. That's just racist.
You think I hate Aboriginies and then you go say something like that?

Uncool.

K

katie_tully

Optophobia said:
lolZ WhiTE POWER. I Wish Johnny was still in power he's my friend. I know he must be because he stoped gay marriage and refused to say sorry and let in record numbers of muslims and asians. oh no wait forget that last bit because it interferes with my racist fantasy.
Don't try and renege now. We know you true colours. I quoted it, so you can't even edit it away.

Man, that's a pretty messed up fantasy you've got about John Howard. Even Tony Abbott wouldn't have gone that far.

Seek some therapy or something.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

ari89 said:
I think we're going to find that out tonight as the new parliament finally sat and it's meant to be discussed today. Well, that's according to ABC.
ooOOooh I cant wait! (i have to admit that im kind of excited to hear it, how lame :shy:)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Any of you mammy-os want to hook up there?
8am. Wed. Parl House Lawn.
There will be free history.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

By the way, this was John Howard's apology "deep and sincere regret that indigenous Australians suffered injustices under the practices of past generations, and for the hurt and trauma that many indigenous people continue to feel as a consequence of those practices."

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

ari89 said:
Nope. Parliament opens tomorrow, the motion should be tabled sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Triangulum said:
Nope. Parliament opens tomorrow, the motion should be tabled sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening.
Yeah, I read the article at like 3am thinking it was still the previous day.

UnleavenedBread

HSC

Optophobia said:
Oh, but I have learned about logical fallacies seeing as you seem insistant on shoving them in my face 10 times every time i make a reply - even in response to arguments which are not strictly fallacious. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

They didn't steal their children to achieve that purpose (or make an attempt thereof).

You chose to attack me (and the reconciliation FAQ) rather than the argument posed. Hence you employed an ad hominem attack. It was YOU who engaged in hyperbole, not I.
You are an idiot. I guess you are UWS Policing at its best. You make up so many assumptions just to carry your argument on, as has been noted by others earlier. I can just imagine you in the field tampering with evidence and fitting shit to fit your own schizophrenically induced storyline.

You have no argument so you constantly shove a load of bullshit in other peoples mouths. You've been doing it to me and you're doing it to katie_tully. She says she doesn't hate Aboriginals but YOU know better than her don't you so you say she hates Aboriginals.

If you had a real argument you would have no reason to constantly bullshit and fight the assumptions of your own imagination.

(I'm waiting for you to claim ad hominem but it kinda doesn't work when it is a general statement irrlevant to an 'argument' but knowing you...)

Optophobia said:
OmgZ! The romans invaded other peoplez lands aboriginiez should just shut up and stop complaing ?!!@!@?@?!@
What? You lack basic interprative skills...
What has this point got to do with anything? Again, more false assumptions by mr strawman.

Optophobia said:
DerRRRRrrr what this guy says make sense but i disagree with it because i imagine myself to have a vested interest in shooting down what he's saying because i'm a dumb cunt. derrr.. straw man fallacy. derrrrrr.
Nonsensical bullshit I see.

Optophobia said:
It is a rock solid source, and you have no main criticism other than to invoke a racist rejection of the story line as being "unreliable".
Because you, like the Liberal party, are heavy manipulators. You like to play word games (semantics) and avoid the issue at hand.
More nonsensical bullshit. Lol you claim movies are 'rock solid sources'. You are an idiot.

You still haven't fronted up on one of the issues raised, you constantly avoid them and tangent on the little issues your simpleton brain can comprehend. (e.g. posting wikipedia links to incorrect fallacies, making up bullshit, trying to employ sarcasm etc)

Evan11

HSC

sXcGuRl69aU said:
what an insult to my 21st.
happy birthday for tomorrow. maybe you should hav a reconciliation themed party?

Angel Eyes

Banned
HSC

about time. so many people were hurt even non aboriginals because the government was purposley racist 2 every1. thanks to kevin07 for makin a real change in 08

Kevin.Rudd

HSC
N/A
Apology Speech Leaked by Jnr ALP Staffer

We, the Australian people, thank you today. We thank you for contributing so much to our community over the years. We thank you for sharing your culture, that of which remains the oldest in the history of man. We thank you for the Australian image you have projected- hard working, promoters of unity and being true to yourselves and culture against adversity. And personally, esteemed guests, I thank you for being here today.

As many of you may know, I spent the early years of my life in rural Queensland. What I remember most from my childhood was the sense of community, because for me Eumundi was a tight knit community. Having lost my father at a young age I often turned to the community of what were like elders. There were the men volunteering to guide me through my path to manhood, willing to pick up the reins for where my father sadly left off.

What I envision for Australia is this same sense of community. But something the last government neglected was the importance of community. I would not be half the man I am today if it was not for the strength and guide provided by my local community. A community made up of men and women of all ages. The last government neglected the first step in forming community. Community through reconciliation.

It seems like just yesterday when my eldest Jessica and my son Nicholas were trying to loop a tyre swing above a branch of our backyard gumtree. After countless efforts of throwing the rope individually while lifting up the tire they conceded to failure. Why they failed is important as from the window watching I knew that there was no reason to fail. See, earlier that morning Jessica and Nick got in a little sibling fight over who could swing the highest. Because of the past conflict they would not work together. It would have been a simple task if one held the tire and the other swung the rope - a team effort is what they needed.

That night I gave Jess and Nick a talk about the importance of teamwork and community. I used myself as an example and how I so greatly depended on my community. Without them helping me and our collective lifestyle I do not know where I would be today.

What must be recognized is that we must work as a team and put our past behind us. But we must take a step together into the future. And that is why I am here today.

I am here today as a representative of the people, I am here today as a representative of the government and governments past and present. And most of all I am here to bring us into the future together through reconciliation. But first, I would like you all to meet Aunty Patricia Gilchrist. Aunty, as she is known by her local community, is the embodiment of community and with her I hope to set a new history in Australia. A history of unity and strength and tolerance among all Australians. Together we can transcend all adversity, we will no longer be white Australians, Indigenous Australians, Chinese Australians but all respective Australians, all equal in the eyes of each other, the eyes of the legislature and the eyes of the courts.

To all those disadvantaged by the wrongs of the previous governments, we are sorry.

I thank you all for being here today to hear those simple yet sincere words which we hope the indigenous community of our great land will never forget. In light of this I and fellow members of the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia, with royal assent of the Governor-General, mark this day, the 13th of February a national holiday of reconciliation.

I thank you all for your time and I hope our actions and the actions of the new Australia born today in unity will speak louder than our words.
We are sorry.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)