Votes: 32 21.9%
  • I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Re: They're after our $$$ already!

Hope labor screws itself over so much with this, we won't see them in power next term.

Even the most die-hard hold-your-hands-together hippies should see by now why Howard was not there to support this crap.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

I'm not the biggest expert in aboriginal affairs, but I can't see how the aboriginal community will become an equal part of australian society when they are constantly given special treatment, further financial aid and compensation, etc.

I realise it's much more complicated than that, but I just don't see how further financial aid will (to quote) "close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity".

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Pace_T said:
thats just punishing todays taxpayer wouldnt it? what have we got to do with the stolen generation. how pathetic.
If that's directed towards me, I don't see a problem with taxpayers funding actual constructive programs aimed at getting Aboriginal folks off welfare and living full, healthy, productive lives. I think it's horrible that their life expectancy is so low and their infant mortality rate is so high, and I'd like it to be fixed. This is Australia, no group should have these kinds of problems.

BUT throwing money at them is not the solution (obviously). Find the source of the problem and fix it. I know for one that lots of aboriginal kids in high school don't think they have the ability to do the HSC and go to uni, because their parents didn't do it, nobody they know has done it, so why would they be any different? USyd gets education students to mentor these kids so they stay in school and do well enough to make something of themselves. That's worthwhile, effective and doesn't cost anything.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

scarybunny said:
No money should be put towards compensation. I rather liked the govt's idea of maybe trying to lower their infant mortality rate, increase their life expectancy and generally increase their quality of life. Money put towards these things would be much better spent.
Agreed

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

The type of welfare we're seeing at the moment is just crippling in the community further. We're encouraging them to remain in the outback miles away from schools or proper medical care.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

withoutaface said:
The type of welfare we're seeing at the moment is just crippling in the community further. We're encouraging them to remain in the outback miles away from schools or proper medical care.
Yep, in some towns they just lie around all week until welfare day, when they go into town and spend it all on booze. Not good. Lots of gas stations are locked in giant cages when they close, lots of country towns are dangerous on welfare day.

It's not like there are any jobs out in the country, either. So something (I don't know what) needs to be done, because it's not like the city aborigines are doing much better. The NT has some good things going on, aborigines are being employed to maintain the national parks (backburning, park rangers, bush police etc), but I don't know how much of that would translate into NSW.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Re: Did you support Rudd's apology?

I pretend I do but in reality I couldn't give a fuck about abos, seriously, just don't drop dead in my driveway because I'm going to run you over when I back out.

Sick of hearing about the fucking pathetic life failures.

K

katie_tully

Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

I love what this thread has become.

I am off to work today. I'll let you guys know how many free packs of 5 or 10 syringes I give out are to Aboriginals.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC

I used to care, alot, and whilst I don't mind, even going as far as to somewhat support the apology, I am totally against any compensation of any kind being given to them.

K

katie_tully

Tully - I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Whatever. I'm over being diplomatic. I see Rudd has given them 5 years to fix their shit.

We shall see.

Gay Captain

HSC

Rudd's an even more cynical politician than Howard, he just hides it better

This is a massive political stunt, same with everything else he's done so far (LOL kyoto).

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC

I still like his approach to things though. Saying 'sorry' and going 'lol but you're not getting any money out of this'.

jimmayyy

HSC

the image on the news last night of the 6 year old girl saying "we said sorry to the aboriginal people...because...umm...other people took...took their children away...and it was wrong...so we said sorry...and it's good" was fucking disgusting. i nearly threw up.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC

ur_inner_child said:
I'm not the biggest expert in aboriginal affairs, but I can't see how the aboriginal community will become an equal part of australian society when they are constantly given special treatment, further financial aid and compensation, etc.

I realise it's much more complicated than that, but I just don't see how further financial aid will (to quote) "close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity".

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

politik said:
Did you support Slidey's lame attempt at making a poll around opinions already shared in other threads?

Vote nau!
Nobody has made a poll before so it's hard to determine what the general consensus on BOS actually is.

Or were you too busy failing at life to notice that?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

ur_inner_child said:

I think you're right, personally.

Whenever we differentiate, on an economic or political level, between normal Australians and Aborigines, we're effectively creating a class system.

Gay Captain

HSC
Re: Leaders push for 'sorry' compensation

It's never going to stop though as long as people keep saying their culture is too important for them to live like us.

To make it clear: I can read about and appreciate the white European culture of the middle ages, even join a re-enactment club, without wanting to live like a feudal peasant. According to the experts, Aborigines can't do this with their culture.

munchiecrunchie

HSC

i think saying sorry was one of the best thing Rudd could have done for this country.

it was about time the govt admitted that their previous policies were wrong and degrading.

to all you people who think aboriginals dont deserve any support, think again.

think about it, if if we were talking about the mentally ill, you'd probably agree they should get support coz their at a disadvantage.

well aboriginal people are also at a disadvantage in Australian society. They deserve some justice after all the cruel acts of govts and racial discrimination they've had to cop.

Evan11

HSC

I think it was a nice apology that no one can disagree was warm hearted, after having given it i dont think it was a waste of Rudd's time, and hopefully we can move forward from the event now that it is behind us. Anyone agree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)