Only just got accepted into a selective school--should I still move? (1 Viewer)

bxrnzx

HSC
So today I got an acceptance call from a selective school that I applied for and am having second thoughts of whether or not I should take the offer. My current school is ranked in the high 300's, which I know isn't great BUT I have a really good thing going on here. I'm on the SRC team, am class captain, have a strong relationship with my cohort & teachers and--most importantly--I live on the same street as my school (lol). The selective school, on the other hand, is an hour-ish away via public transport D;

SO my main questions are,
1. Is a "well-ranked" school worth moving for? Especially since I'm already doing well in my current school?
2. Would I be significantly behind everyone (in terms of workload) considering 2 weeks of school have already passed?
3. Is the TRAVEL TIME worth it?
4. Are school rankings more important than individual rankings?

Have to make a decision by Monday and am really freaking undecided rn :uhoh:

Last edited:

Verify

HSC
Stay. Do not move. It will be a bad idea.

1. The only reason why moving to a selective school is a good move is because it sets a studious and serious mood amongst your peers, and this allows you to prioritise studying as number one. However, since you are already self-motivated and are already doing well in your current school, the academic competitiveness that is meant to drive you is useless. In my opinion you will either perform the same or better at your current school as you're comfortable with your vicinity. Who knows what problems you might encounter at your new school.
2. No. The first 2 weeks of prelim are very easy to catch up to.
3. I will speak from my experience. I also moved to a selective school for Yr11. I went from taking 10 minutes to walk to school to taking over an hour to get to the selective school. Unless you're a morning person, you're going to find it difficult to adjust. By travelling for an hour to a selective school you'll feel much more tired everyday and also lose time in the afternoon to study/relax. And nope, no one ever studies on the train unless it's for an exam.
4. No. Just come first for everything and you'll be set.

zhiying

HSC
High 300's is a LOT more than "isn't great" to be honest. How are you ranked relative to your peers at your current school? If your not near the top then moving to a good selective could make a big difference on your HSC. And maybe have a think about what degree (and entry ATAR) you want to do, then evaluate whether it's worth the big change.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
High 300's is a LOT more than "isn't great" to be honest. How are you ranked relative to your peers at your current school? If your not near the top then moving to a good selective could make a big difference on your HSC. And maybe have a think about what degree (and entry ATAR) you want to do, then evaluate whether it's worth the big change.
You are my role model.

I would listen to everything this guy says.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Stay. Do not move. It will be a bad idea.

1. The only reason why moving to a selective school is a good move is because it sets a studious and serious mood amongst your peers, and this allows you to prioritise studying as number one. However, since you are already self-motivated and are already doing well in your current school, the academic competitiveness that is meant to drive you is useless. In my opinion you will either perform the same or better at your current school as you're comfortable with your vicinity. Who knows what problems you might encounter at your new school.
2. No. The first 2 weeks of prelim are very easy to catch up to.
3. I will speak from my experience. I also moved to a selective school for Yr11. I went from taking 10 minutes to walk to school to taking over an hour to get to the selective school. Unless you're a morning person, you're going to find it difficult to adjust. By travelling for an hour to a selective school you'll feel much more tired everyday and also lose time in the afternoon to study/relax. And nope, no one ever studies on the train unless it's for an exam.
4. No. Just come first for everything and you'll be set.
1. That's not the only reason to move, next post gives a situation that explains that. Though in extremely rare occasions you may get a Godlike cohorts like some selective schools, then there won't be much reason in moving. (Though that would be fairly difficult to assess)
2. Ok.
3. I travelled 1 hour+ just to get to a 400+ school since like early July during the HSC, personally i adjusted fairly fine waking up at 6:30 am, though then again, there was not much point in going to school anyway for me lol. Yer i can't study at all on a train, it's useless and crowded, and the junior St George Girls are bloody loud as hell(no offence to any here.) Then you have to switch trains again, where there's nowhere to sit. Then you come home really tired, then sleep for approximately 1-2 hours.
4. Not that easy of a thing to achieve depending on your situation/ if there's at least some high achieving people in your cohort and even then you can't rely on them achieving legendary results in the HSC, since they may do worse than you expected which will drag you down if your not first in terms of your moderated assessment marks.

Pretty much this yer. I was just gunning for atleast 95 to get into my degree, so i wasn't aiming extremely high (99+) from the beginning and my effort into my HSC was not that great but i still got 97.80, didn't come 1st for any subjects so do as above has just said.

Another thing, there may be some biased marking in lower ranked schools, and may have a different standard to the HSC marking, so it's a more reliable assessment of how well you'll do in the HSC in higher ranked schools depending on teachers.

Last edited:

Ambility

HSC
I'm in a very similar situation to you, and I'm choosing to stay. My school has all my friends and teachers which I get along with very well. It is also in walking distance, and I top a couple of my classes. Going to the selective school would also be a big commute for me which on it's own would affect me a fair bit. I just like my current set up and I believe I have more chance of succeeding at my current school which I know so well than any other school. Like you, I have a good thing going on.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
There are a lot of BOSers who have attended non-selective and low ranking schools, but they excel well because they had the passion to work for it.

I'm in a non-selective school, non-private, ranked in the 100s, and we still produce about 30 ~ 50 students with an ATAR of 90+.

Its your decision, but I thought I had leave that piece of information here.

bxrnzx

HSC
I'm topping most of my subjects. So are you saying that it would be better if I ranked high in a low-ranked school, or ranked average in a high-ranked school? Thanks for your advice btw, I have some serious thinking to do D;

HSC
if the selective school is in the top 30 then you'd be better off moving, 300+ is quite bad tbh and you seem like you'll settle very easily in a new environment since you get along well in your school. However if you're performing well in your school, like top 5 all subjects then maybe staying would be more beneficial.

generally around less than 10% of your grade would get 90+ atars for a school in the 300s so if you're aiming for high 90s, prob best to move.

FancyPenguin

HSC
I'm topping most of my subjects. So are you saying that it would be better if I ranked high in a low-ranked school, or ranked average in a high-ranked school? Thanks for your advice btw, I have some serious thinking to do D;
you can do really well if you stay at your school it's really up to you, personally I think you're better off where you are cause you save like 2hours of travel each day which adds up. My school was ranked 220's last year and we had a someone get 99.6 so the ATAR which you get is really up to the effort which you put in, you can do well in both schools but I think it would be better to stay.

noodlesareyum

HSC
It's definitely possible to get a good ATAR with a ranked poor school.

Consider these factors:
How far is the selective school from your home? Would you mind travelling a far bit of distance? It would take up a lot of time in the long run, I remember having to travel an hour to school and an hour back... definitely miss my 10 mins walk to my old school.
Are you FIRST and are you confident to maintain FIRST? What are your exam marks like? 90%+ raw? If so, stay at your current school, because you might be ranked mid at a selective school with all the top marks bunched up together, pushing you down. This MIGHT potentially lower your HSC assessment mark, happened to me :(
However, at a selective school definitely expect more competition and realise that is always room for improvement! This may be extremely helpful for you to score a higher ATAR than you could have without that competition at your current school, but can also be demotivating.

HSC
Sorry didnt see that yourr topping most subjects, id recommend u stay then. Only a top 10 school would benefit u and thats provided u maintain ut good performances in a new environment

braintic

HSC
N/A
If you have your heart set on doing Ext 2 maths (and assuming your school offers it) I would stay.
Selective schools typically limit the number of students who can do Ext 2. And many newcomers to a selective school takes a few months to raise their standard to the old-timers in the school, by which time it becomes almost impossible so make the cut regardless of how much you improve.

I also wouldn't move if you don't need a super high ATAR, or if you think you might get fazed by having so many people beating you all of a sudden.

If those things are not your issues, then probably move. As long as you are reasonably outgoing, you will still keep your old friends, and make heaps of new ones to boot. And provided getting a seat is not a problem, an hour on the bus/train is the perfect opportunity to get your routine homework out of the way, leaving the stuff requiring more thought for when you get home.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Depends. If you could keep the road you are currently in and doing good, then stay. If you feel like you'll do better with different peers and teachers, then stay. Remember, it's about the school and the test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)