Organising Work (merged) (1 Viewer)

Folders or Books?

• Total voters

omniscience

HSC
N/A
Re: best way to organise books?

I don't use a folder because I will probably lose one. But I organise myself at my laptop. I put every stuff in it.

bawd

HSC

seakebab said:
I guess I just have to get a bigger bag then I already have. :hammer:

For all my sheets I use colour coded plastic envelopes.

I reckon I can try folder per subject. It'll just cost me quite a bit of money and if it doesn't work out then :hammer:.

Hello, V.
Your school bag is already humongous. Unless you intend to bring a suitcase to school...

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A

glue in all worksheets

HSC

This is what I do. It suits me, but may not suit everyone else.

Ancient History/PDHPE: Each have their own lever arch folder, with dividers seperating work as required, write on loose leaf paper.

Maths: I have a 2-ring binder to store worksheets in, and write in binder books which are also held in the folder.

Religion: has its own exercise book. sheets glued in as required

English/Bio: for these subjects, each distinct learning area I have a colour coded display folder for. Both worksheets and notes go in these folders. They do, admittently, end up pretty big, but its worked all year, so I don't care.

Remember that you don't have to use one system of organisation for all subjects. For example, I have to do maths in a book, otherwise I would lose the exercises. Other subjects, such as Bio, it would drive me insane if it was done in an exercise book.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

omniscience said:
I don't use a folder because I will probably lose one. But I organise myself at my laptop. I put every stuff in it.
Call me oldschool.... but I don't like using laptops. People in my school now have laptops and use it as a substitute for pen and paper... but I don't like it!

HSC
Re: Organizing Study Work

Once my study notes are typed up, I have them ordered in a display folder (except for maths - i don't really have study notes for maths, just the neccessary examples)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC

so it looks like

6 arch lever folders one for each subject (at home), and one to carry around from home to school.

loose-leaf paper (the really loose ones, or the ones that come in those exercise books and you can pull out)

how do i put the holes into the handouts to make it fit into the arch-lever?
my friend in legal has this tool. but i cant find it in newsagents.

jirwin

HSC

Officeworks sell hole punches that are made to be put in a binder folder. They arent as good as the proper ones but are quite handy. only cost a few dollars i think too

Aplus

HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
Call me oldschool.... but I don't like using laptops. People in my school now have laptops and use it as a substitute for pen and paper... but I don't like it!
A laptop is definitely superior for organisation of notes though.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Re: Folders or Books?

yes a laptop is better.

however,
in an exam you won't have your laptop.
and you'd be more accustomed to typing as opposed to hand writing.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC

The notes I receive in class, I date and put in loose leaf slips and place them in 2 ring binders. I have a binder for each term and every subject is obviously filed categorically and the notes filed in chronological order.

I have two separate folders for English as there are so many notes - two topics per folder. I also have all my Food Tech work in separate 2 ring binder folders that are each labelled by term. I do the subject by distant ed so I have an excessive amount of notes and random paper.

As for completing my own notes, I do that on my laptop in a program called OneNote 2007 (it's the best!) and print them off in abundance to put in loose leaf slips that are filed chronologically in a separate 2 binder folder.

I use the display folders for Premium notes that i've printed out.

Last edited:

utookmyusername

HSC

Folders. All seniors at my school use folders. It makes everything easier to organise but I go through 1 folder every 2-3 weeks cause they break in my bag

dior1

HSC
N/A

Kirsty Xx said:
The notes I receive in class, I date and put in loose leaf slips and place them in 2 ring binders. I have a binder for each term and every subject is obviously filed categorically and the notes filed in chronological order.

I have two separate folders for English as there are so many notes - two topics per folder. I also have all my Food Tech work in separate 2 ring binder folders that are each labelled by term. I do the subject by distant ed so I have an excessive amount of notes and random paper.

As for completing my own notes, I do that on my laptop in a program called OneNote 2007 (it's the best!) and print them off in abundance to put in loose leaf slips that are filed chronologically in a separate 2 binder folder.

I use the display folders for Premium notes that i've printed out.
like the system you have there :) but i just dont know if i could be bothered being that neat and organised. i guess i should give it a go
thanks for the idea

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

I presently use two folders, one for 2/3U Maths and Physics, and one for English and Legal. For 2U Maths we use a book, and I also keep books for 3U Maths summary and an English journal.

I sort of wish I'd gone for books. Otherwise, I'll be buying more folders for next year - it's too hard to keep so many things in a folder.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC

dior1 said:
like the system you have there :) but i just dont know if i could be bothered being that neat and organised. i guess i should give it a go
thanks for the idea
Yeah well it's best to start early, and start dating and filing as soon as your HSC starts. Once you know that you won't be using those notes during class time, put it away. I'm a perfectionist and hate being unorganised, and all my binders are different pretty colours. However this way, you'll go through A LOT of loose leaf slips - I've been through approx. 400 already.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC

terminator69 said:
I'm looking to get a new system for year 12 but not sure what to do. I have just been using A4 exercise books (and gluing in sheets) for all my subjects and a few folders for notes.

I don't like the idea of having one folder for all subjects though.
then don't do it then.
stick to books.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

terminator69 said:
I'm looking to get a new system for year 12 but not sure what to do. I have just been using A4 exercise books (and gluing in sheets) for all my subjects and a few folders for notes.

I don't like the idea of having one folder for all subjects though.
have a folder for each subject then, not one big one, thats what i do
one for english
one for bio
one for chem
one for geo
one for food tech
one for ext 1
book for maths (stored in polder)

bawd

HSC

theism said:
then don't do it then.
stick to books.
Books fall apart and get really messy, especially when I have a certain disorganised teacher who would constantly tell the class to leave a page for a stick-in sheet, but never gives the sheet anyway. :mad1: I have a half an exercise book of blank pages waiting for sheets, and it's already the Preliminary exams.

5233andy

HSC

I once followed the craze with folders. I eventually threw the folder out - the binder was damaged and had unnecessary baggage to carry.

spoilt-brat

HSC

I thought it would be a good idea to use folders for CAFS and Hospitality but i found i just had to keep emptying them into a binder folder at home so i could fit more work in. Problem was the teachers wanted to see work from the topic b4 when i had just took it all out of my folder. I thought about buying a new one for every topic but i found it to be so disorganised.

Would using a big folder for all my A4 books (glueing all worksheets in) be a good idea, with a few plastic sleeves for the stapled booklets we get in class every now and then

OR

Stick to A4 Books (without a binder folder), with all sheets stuck in and a display folder for stapled work booklets??

Would Love your help so i know what to buy for HSC in term 4!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)